Phlebotomy, also called venipuncture, is the discipline of drawing blood from a patient using medical needles for the purpose of analyzing the blood’s components. Physicians will use this information as part of an overall workup to help determine a patient’s medical condition, assess nutritional deficiencies, or identify genetic markers. As such, drawing blood is one of the primary skills that all doctors and nurses learn in their training programs. A trained phlebotomy technician, also called a phlebotomist, is able to relieve doctors and nurses by performing this important task for them.
Phlebotomy training programs in Wyoming follow standardized protocol set by the American Medical Technologists association. Coursework in phlebotomy can be pursued through vocational programs, community colleges, or teaching hospitals. The trainee must have at least a high school education to be employed in the field. They will complete a six week course in towards a basic certification that allows them to proceed with a 15 week training program after which they may pursue a diploma in the field if desired. A phlebotomist can work in a variety of settings including hospitals, medical offices or laboratories.
If you are in high school and interested in a career as a phlebotomist, contact your guidance counselor to see if there is a certified vocational program you can attend. If you are a high school graduate, contact your local hospital or nearest community college about certification and training programs in your area.
Requirements for Certification and Training
Most phlebotomy training programs in Wyoming follow the same basic coursework for certification and training. Coursework involves taking a lecture based class followed by a hands-on practicum experience. Typically the program can be completed within one semester.
Employment Opportunities for Phlebotomists in Wyoming
Increased demand for phlebotomists in the medical field has created strong employment opportunities. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics indicates that phlebotomists earn between $13.00-$16.00 per hour nationally. In Wyoming, the average salary can vary by region but sources put it somewhere around $34,000 annually which makes it a competitive career for people to pursue.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Master of Public Health
- Non-profit university accredited by WASC Senior Commission
- Professors with real-world experience and student centered approach
- Flexible, fully online degree programs responding to the market needs
- All courses are offered six times a year with clear path to completion and reduced time-to-degree
- No additional costs for textbooks or other fees
- Personal support from application to graduation leading to high retention and graduation rates
- Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences
- Master of Science in Health Sciences
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Master of Public Health
- BS in Public Health
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
More Phlebotomy Classes in Wyoming
|Casper College||125 College Drive, Casper, WY 82601||http://www.caspercollege.edu/medical_lab_tech/index.html|
|Central Wyoming College||2660 Peck Avenue, Riverton, WY 82501||http://www.cwc.edu/healthcare-training|
|Northwest College||231 West 6th Street, Powell, WY 82435||http://www.northwestcollege.edu/nursing/courses/detail.dot?id=202abdf4-bcc9-474d-a021-49347a764eb7|
|Western Wyoming Community College||2500 College Drive, Rock Springs, WY 82901||http://www.wwcc.cc.wy.us/|