Many students who are interested in getting into phlebotomy are curious about the process to becoming certified. This article will show you the basics of becoming a licensed phlebotomist in Arkansas.
What Happens in Phlebotomy Training?
A phlebotomy course is a mix of scientific study and health care skills preparation. Students will spend a lot of time in the lab learning about different ways to analyze urine and blood samples. Entrants into the program should be comfortable with basic science and procedures, especially in chemistry and biology. The other portion of the course will teach students how to be effective in a health care setting. They will learn how to take blood samples, how to take vital signs, and how to manage their spaces with care.
Students should be sure to pick a program where they will have frequent access to a supervisor. This usually means choosing a program where the student to instructor ratio is low. Since the skills needed can be life saving and each skill is very important, it is crucial that students get good feedback and learn the skills well. Students in this professional education program are expected to have a high level of motivation and be comfortable with self study. Much of the material needed for the national certification exam is based on memory, so students will largely be responsible for their own success in learning the material.
Can Anyone Enter the Training?
Most interested students can enter a phlebotomy training program. However, there are a few guidelines. Students must be over 18 years old and possess a high school diploma or GED. Students need to be able to meet the physical and mental requirements of the program, which may include vision requirements. Students need to be able to pass a criminal background check. Finally, most programs and employers require individuals to have updated immunizations for several of the most common communicable diseases, including hepatitis.
Outlook for Phlebotomy Training in Arkansas
Phlebotomy training is currently somewhat in demand in Arkansas. As populations shift, more people are moving out of the rural areas of Arkansas and into the cities. As a result, some people may be needed to staff the harder to reach areas and more rural health care offices. The starting salary for a phlebotomist in Arkansas is around $25,000, with a slightly higher salary offered in the more in demand facilities. Students graduating from a phlebotomy program can work in a variety of settings, including hospitals, laboratories, pediatric centers, and private health care institutions.
Steps to Become a Certified Phlebotomist
The process for getting into phlebotomy has a few steps. The first is to find an accredited program in the state of Arkansas. Suitable programs can be found in Little Rock, Fayetteville, Bentonville, and other major university hubs throughout the state. Next, the candidate must complete their phlebotomy training and pass for a national certification test. Once successful, the new phlebotomist has many opportunities awaiting him or her in this dynamic health care profession.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
Penn Foster College
Penn Foster College offers a complete learning experience for busy adults looking to advance their education around their schedule. With Penn Foster College, you can earn your degree or undergraduate certificate online and at a pace that’s right for you.
Here’s why thousands of students have chosen Penn Foster College:
• Accreditation —Penn Foster College is nationally accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC) and licensed by the Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education.
- Veterinary Technician (Associate)
- Veterinary Assistant
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
Whatever your motivation for considering an undergraduate or graduate degree, Florida Tech offers programs online that can meet your needs. Here are a few reasons Florida Tech may be the right choice for you.
- Associate of Arts in Healthcare Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration/Healthcare Management
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
More Phlebotomy Classes in Arkansas
|Phillips Community College||1000 Campus Rd Helena-West Helena, AR 72342,||http://www.pccua.edu/alliedhealth/Phlebotomy.htm|
|Black River Technical College||1410 Arkansas 304 E Pocahontas, AR 72455,||http://www.blackrivertech.org/prospective-students/academic-programs/phlebotomy|
|Arkansas State University - Newport||7648 Victory Blvd Newport, AR 72112,||http://www.asun.edu/programs/|
|Arkansas Northeastern College||105 S Main St Leachville, AR 72438,||http://www.anc.edu/allied_health/phlebotomy.htm|
|Arkansas State University-Mountain||1600 S College St Mountain Home, AR 72653||http://www.asumh.edu/programs/certificate-of-proficiency-in-phlebotomy-(cp).dot|
|North Arkansas College||1515 Pioneer Dr Harrison, AR 72601||http://www.northark.edu/academics_programs/degree_plans.aspx|
|Southeast Arkansas College||1900 S Hazel St Pine Bluff, AR 71603||http://184.108.40.206:8900/academics/phlebotomy.php|
|UAMS AHEC Southwest||300 E 6th St Texarkana, AR||http://ruralhealth.uams.edu/ahecsw/chrp/phleb/CourseInfo|
|National Park Community College||101 College Dr|
Hot Springs, AR
|South Arkansas Community College||300 SW Ave El Dorado, AR 71730||http://www.southark.edu/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=323&Itemid=552&lang=en|
|Petra Allied Health||2212 Malvern Ave; Hot Springs National Park, AR||http://www.petraalliedhealth.com/?page_id=114|