Many students who are interested in getting into phlebotomy are curious about the process to becoming certified. This article will show you the basics of becoming a licensed phlebotomist in Arkansas.
What Happens in Phlebotomy Training?
A phlebotomy course is a mix of scientific study and health care skills preparation. Students will spend a lot of time in the lab learning about different ways to analyze urine and blood samples. Entrants into the program should be comfortable with basic science and procedures, especially in chemistry and biology. The other portion of the course will teach students how to be effective in a health care setting. They will learn how to take blood samples, how to take vital signs, and how to manage their spaces with care.
Students should be sure to pick a program where they will have frequent access to a supervisor. This usually means choosing a program where the student to instructor ratio is low. Since the skills needed can be life saving and each skill is very important, it is crucial that students get good feedback and learn the skills well. Students in this professional education program are expected to have a high level of motivation and be comfortable with self study. Much of the material needed for the national certification exam is based on memory, so students will largely be responsible for their own success in learning the material.
Can Anyone Enter the Training?
Most interested students can enter a phlebotomy training program. However, there are a few guidelines. Students must be over 18 years old and possess a high school diploma or GED. Students need to be able to meet the physical and mental requirements of the program, which may include vision requirements. Students need to be able to pass a criminal background check. Finally, most programs and employers require individuals to have updated immunizations for several of the most common communicable diseases, including hepatitis.
Outlook for Phlebotomy Training in Arkansas
Phlebotomy training is currently somewhat in demand in Arkansas. As populations shift, more people are moving out of the rural areas of Arkansas and into the cities. As a result, some people may be needed to staff the harder to reach areas and more rural health care offices. The starting salary for a phlebotomist in Arkansas is around $25,000, with a slightly higher salary offered in the more in demand facilities. Students graduating from a phlebotomy program can work in a variety of settings, including hospitals, laboratories, pediatric centers, and private health care institutions.
Steps to Become a Certified Phlebotomist
The process for getting into phlebotomy has a few steps. The first is to find an accredited program in the state of Arkansas. Suitable programs can be found in Little Rock, Fayetteville, Bentonville, and other major university hubs throughout the state. Next, the candidate must complete their phlebotomy training and pass for a national certification test. Once successful, the new phlebotomist has many opportunities awaiting him or her in this dynamic health care profession.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Medical Assistant
Orion College is a post-secondary vocational school offering Associate Degree programs in Business Administration, Medical Assisting and Healthcare Management.. By utilizing online learning, students have the flexibility to continue their education from the convenience of their own home. Our virtual classrooms will enable students to attend classes and communicate with instructors and classmates. Students can complete some programs without leaving their current employment or sacrificing family time.
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Billing Specialist
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
The lessons learned in your online courses can prepare you for whatever area of public health you’re interested in. Courses include the following:
- Public Health Biology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Health
- Health Policy
- Finance and Budget
- Health Informatics
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Public Health Law, Ethics and Policy Analysis
Our 100% onlineand CEPH-accredited MPH program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise — and your career — without having to put your life on hold.
- Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
- Earn your Bachelor of Science of Healthcare Management degree online
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Program focuses on the business, management, and healthcare skills necessary for healthcare organizations to run smoothly
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
More Phlebotomy Classes in Arkansas
|Phillips Community College||1000 Campus Rd Helena-West Helena, AR 72342,||http://www.pccua.edu/alliedhealth/Phlebotomy.htm|
|Black River Technical College||1410 Arkansas 304 E Pocahontas, AR 72455,||http://www.blackrivertech.org/prospective-students/academic-programs/phlebotomy|
|Arkansas State University - Newport||7648 Victory Blvd Newport, AR 72112,||http://www.asun.edu/programs/|
|Arkansas Northeastern College||105 S Main St Leachville, AR 72438,||http://www.anc.edu/allied_health/phlebotomy.htm|
|Arkansas State University-Mountain||1600 S College St Mountain Home, AR 72653||http://www.asumh.edu/programs/certificate-of-proficiency-in-phlebotomy-(cp).dot|
|North Arkansas College||1515 Pioneer Dr Harrison, AR 72601||http://www.northark.edu/academics_programs/degree_plans.aspx|
|Southeast Arkansas College||1900 S Hazel St Pine Bluff, AR 71603||http://220.127.116.11:8900/academics/phlebotomy.php|
|UAMS AHEC Southwest||300 E 6th St Texarkana, AR||http://ruralhealth.uams.edu/ahecsw/chrp/phleb/CourseInfo|
|National Park Community College||101 College Dr|
Hot Springs, AR
|South Arkansas Community College||300 SW Ave El Dorado, AR 71730||http://www.southark.edu/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=323&Itemid=552&lang=en|
|Petra Allied Health||2212 Malvern Ave; Hot Springs National Park, AR||http://www.petraalliedhealth.com/?page_id=114|