Have you ever wished you had the ability to save someone’s life or really make a difference in the world? I’m sure many of us have. Becoming a phlebotomy technician (phlebotomist) can be the first step towards reaching your career goals. Learn how easy it is to complete phlebotomy training in Connecticut and be part of a rewarding career.
What Will I Do as a Phlebotomy Technician?
A phlebotomy technician (phlebotomist) is a medical professional who draws blood from patience for the purpose of testing, and diagnosing and treating sickness or diseases. They may also handle urine samples as well. In addition to drawing blood, they perform other duties, including taking vital signs, taking and documenting medical histories, talking to and calming patients, sterilizing equipment, preparing blood samples for the lab and disposing of contaminated supplies. Phlebotomy technicians may find work opportunities in various medical settings such as hospitals, clinics, medical laboratories and physicians’ offices.
What Is Phlebotomy Training in Connecticut Like?
If you’re interested in completing phlebotomy training in Connecticut, you’ll have several schools from which to choose. Phlebotomy training is usually a short-term program (less than a year) that results in a certificate or diploma. The curriculum includes coursework, lectures and hands-on training. Course topics may include medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, human communication, phlebotomy techniques, universal precautions and infection control, specimen handling and collection procedures, among others. For practical experience, you’ll be required to complete an internship at a medical facility to receive supervised, hands-on training.
One Connecticut college, in particular, requires phlebotomy students to complete at least 100 hours and do at least 100 unassisted blood draws. While hands-on training is required in all phlebotomy training in Connecticut, the number of hours and procedures required may vary from school to school. Prior to starting the phlebotomy training, students are required to meet certain admission requirements such as proof of health screenings, immunizations, criminal background checks and CPR certification. These may also vary by school.
How Do I Obtain Phlebotomy Certification in Connecticut?
The State of Connecticut Department of Public Health does not require that phlebotomy certification in Connecticut. However, they do acknowledge that employers prefer to have the phlebotomy technicians certified. Aspiring phlebotomy technicians can obtain phlebotomy certification in Connecticut from several different organizations. The American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians (ASPT) offers a certification exam to candidates who have completed an accredited training program or have at least one year of part-time or six months of full-time work in the field.
The American Medical Technologists (AMT) offers phlebotomy certification in Connecticut to any individual who has completed an AMT-approved phlebotomy program or completed at least 1,040 hours work experience in this field. Two other organizations offering phlebotomy certification exams are the National Healthcare Association and the National Center for Competency Testing. They also both require that candidates complete training programs or show proof of sufficient work experience.
What is the Career Outlook for Phlebotomy Technicians in Connecticut
The U. S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, who categorized these professionals as medical and clinical laboratory technologists and technicians,reported that these professionals could see an employment growth of about 13% between 2010 and 2020. The better opportunities should come to the technicians who are certified. There were approximately 1,280 medical and clinical laboratory technologists and technicians employed in Connecticut as of May 2012, and they earned a mean annual wage of $49,580 This figure is substantially higher than the nationwide earnings of $39,340.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Medical Assistant
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Medical Assistant
- Patient Care Technician Level 1
- Professional Medical Assistant
- Certified Nurses Aide
Get hands-on training with Ridley-Lowell Business & Technical Institute. Our campuses in New York and Connecticut can help give you career training in a wide variety of fields, including accounting, cosmetology, criminal justice, electrical systems technology, HVAC, IT, legal assisting, massage therapy, allied health, office administration, and more.
- Medical Assistant - Eve
New England Institute of Technology is a private, non-profit, co-educational technical university offering over 50 Associate in Science, Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degree programs. As a leader in technical career education in southern New England, New England Institute of Technology (also known as New England Tech or NEIT) is committed to providing hands-on technological programs that prepare graduates for positions of leadership in the technical, industrial, business, and allied health communities. Most of our associate degree programs can be completed in as little as 18 months, and bachelor’s degree programs in as little as three years. Last year, over 3,000 students chose New England Tech for the hands-on laboratory and classroom training that provides the necessary skills to begin their technical careers.
- AS - Animal and Veterinary Management
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Public Administration in Healthcare Policy & Ethics
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
More Phlebotomy Classes in Connecticut
|Academy of Medical Training||521 Wolcott Street Waterbury, CT 06705||http://academyofmedicaltraining.comcastbiz.net/index2.html|
|American Red Cross-Occupational School||703 Whitney Ave., New Haven, CT 06511||http://www.redcross.org/ct|
|Asnantuck Community College||170 Elm Street Enfield, CT 06082||http://www.asnuntuck.edu/courses-programs/health-care-certificate-programs|
|Branford Hall Career Institute||155 Main Street Suite 302 Danbury, CT 06810||http://www.branfordhall.edu/Programs/Phlebotomy-Technician/155/|
|Goodwin College||One Riverside Drive East Hartford, CT 06118||http://www.goodwin.edu/Majors/Phlebotomy/default.asp|
|Griffin Hospital School of Allied Health Careers||300 Seymour Avenue Suite 206 Derby, CT 06418||http://www.griffinhealth.org/Research-Training/School-of-Allied-Health-Careers.aspx|
|Hartford Hospital||80 Seymour Street Hartford, CT 06102||http://www.harthosp.org/AlliedHealth/Phlebotomist/default.aspx|
|Manchester Community College||Great Path P.O. Box 1046 Manchester, CT 06045-1046||http://www.mcc.commnet.edu/continuing/credit-free/allied-health/phlebotomy-certification-program.php|
|Naugatuck Valley Community College||750 Chase Parkway, Room K408 Waterbury, CT 06708||http://www.nv.edu/Non-Credit/Health-Care/itemId/735/Phlebotomy-Technician|
|PICC Resource Associates, LLC||4 Research Drive Suite 402 Shelton, CT 06484||http://www.piccresource.com/phlebotomy_class.php|
|Quinebaug Valley Community College||742 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239||http://www.qvcc.commnet.edu/academic/programs/health/phlebotomy.asp|
|Quinebaug Valley Community College||729 Main Street Willimantic, CT 06226||http://www.qvcc.commnet.edu/academic/programs/health/phlebotomy.asp|
|Three Rivers Community College||574 New London Turnpike Norwich, CT 06360||http://www.trcc.commnet.edu/Dep_continuinged/index.shtml|
|Training Direct||3885 Main St., Bridgeport, CT 06606||http://www.medicaltrainingct.com/phlebotomy-technician.htm|
|Tunxis Community College||271 Scott Swamp Road Farmington, CT 06032||http://tunxis.edu/continuing-education/health-career-programs/certified-phlebotomy-technician-training/|
|Wallingford Adult Education||37 Hall Avenue Wallingford, CT 06492||https://www.wallingfordadulted.org/Content/Phlebotomy_and_EKG.asp|
|Waterbury Adult Continuing Education||28 East Clay Street Waterbury, CT 06706||http://www.waterbury.k12.ct.us/aed/page.php?pid=1438|