Have you ever wished you had the ability to save someone’s life or really make a difference in the world? I’m sure many of us have. Becoming a phlebotomy technician (phlebotomist) can be the first step towards reaching your career goals. Learn how easy it is to complete phlebotomy training in Connecticut and be part of a rewarding career.
What Will I Do as a Phlebotomy Technician?
A phlebotomy technician (phlebotomist) is a medical professional who draws blood from patience for the purpose of testing, and diagnosing and treating sickness or diseases. They may also handle urine samples as well. In addition to drawing blood, they perform other duties, including taking vital signs, taking and documenting medical histories, talking to and calming patients, sterilizing equipment, preparing blood samples for the lab and disposing of contaminated supplies. Phlebotomy technicians may find work opportunities in various medical settings such as hospitals, clinics, medical laboratories and physicians’ offices.
What Is Phlebotomy Training in Connecticut Like?
If you’re interested in completing phlebotomy training in Connecticut, you’ll have several schools from which to choose. Phlebotomy training is usually a short-term program (less than a year) that results in a certificate or diploma. The curriculum includes coursework, lectures and hands-on training. Course topics may include medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, human communication, phlebotomy techniques, universal precautions and infection control, specimen handling and collection procedures, among others. For practical experience, you’ll be required to complete an internship at a medical facility to receive supervised, hands-on training.
One Connecticut college, in particular, requires phlebotomy students to complete at least 100 hours and do at least 100 unassisted blood draws. While hands-on training is required in all phlebotomy training in Connecticut, the number of hours and procedures required may vary from school to school. Prior to starting the phlebotomy training, students are required to meet certain admission requirements such as proof of health screenings, immunizations, criminal background checks and CPR certification. These may also vary by school.
How Do I Obtain Phlebotomy Certification in Connecticut?
The State of Connecticut Department of Public Health does not require that phlebotomy certification in Connecticut. However, they do acknowledge that employers prefer to have the phlebotomy technicians certified. Aspiring phlebotomy technicians can obtain phlebotomy certification in Connecticut from several different organizations. The American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians (ASPT) offers a certification exam to candidates who have completed an accredited training program or have at least one year of part-time or six months of full-time work in the field.
The American Medical Technologists (AMT) offers phlebotomy certification in Connecticut to any individual who has completed an AMT-approved phlebotomy program or completed at least 1,040 hours work experience in this field. Two other organizations offering phlebotomy certification exams are the National Healthcare Association and the National Center for Competency Testing. They also both require that candidates complete training programs or show proof of sufficient work experience.
What is the Career Outlook for Phlebotomy Technicians in Connecticut
The U. S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, who categorized these professionals as medical and clinical laboratory technologists and technicians,reported that these professionals could see an employment growth of about 13% between 2010 and 2020. The better opportunities should come to the technicians who are certified. There were approximately 1,280 medical and clinical laboratory technologists and technicians employed in Connecticut as of May 2012, and they earned a mean annual wage of $49,580 This figure is substantially higher than the nationwide earnings of $39,340.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Medical Billing Specialist
- Earn your Bachelor of Science of Healthcare Management degree online
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Program focuses on the business, management, and healthcare skills necessary for healthcare organizations to run smoothly
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- Doctor of Business Administration: Healthcare Management
- Medical Assistant
Get hands-on training with Ridley-Lowell Business & Technical Institute. Our campuses in New York and Connecticut can help give you career training in a wide variety of fields, including accounting, cosmetology, criminal justice, electrical systems technology, HVAC, IT, legal assisting, massage therapy, allied health, office administration, and more.
- Medical Assistant - Eve
- Medical Assistant - Day
- Medical Administrative Assistant - Eve
- And more...
About the College of Westchester
Since 1915, The College of Westchester (CW) has focused on the career success of its students. CW's academic programs are carefully designed to provide the skills and competencies most desired by employers. Our campus environment is highly personal and our culture centers on service to students. CW faculty is selected based on experience, credentials and a caring attitude to bring real world knowledge to the classroom. The College's technologies and web-enhanced learning tools give students anywhere, anytime connectivity to courses, professors, classmates and services. The College of Westchester offers an exceptional experience that can lead to a lifetime of achievement and success.
- AAS-Medical Assistant Management
- Medical Office Specialist
More Phlebotomy Classes in Connecticut
|Academy of Medical Training||521 Wolcott Street Waterbury, CT 06705||http://academyofmedicaltraining.comcastbiz.net/index2.html|
|American Red Cross-Occupational School||703 Whitney Ave., New Haven, CT 06511||http://www.redcross.org/ct|
|Asnantuck Community College||170 Elm Street Enfield, CT 06082||http://www.asnuntuck.edu/courses-programs/health-care-certificate-programs|
|Branford Hall Career Institute||155 Main Street Suite 302 Danbury, CT 06810||http://www.branfordhall.edu/Programs/Phlebotomy-Technician/155/|
|Goodwin College||One Riverside Drive East Hartford, CT 06118||http://www.goodwin.edu/Majors/Phlebotomy/default.asp|
|Griffin Hospital School of Allied Health Careers||300 Seymour Avenue Suite 206 Derby, CT 06418||http://www.griffinhealth.org/Research-Training/School-of-Allied-Health-Careers.aspx|
|Hartford Hospital||80 Seymour Street Hartford, CT 06102||http://www.harthosp.org/AlliedHealth/Phlebotomist/default.aspx|
|Manchester Community College||Great Path P.O. Box 1046 Manchester, CT 06045-1046||http://www.mcc.commnet.edu/continuing/credit-free/allied-health/phlebotomy-certification-program.php|
|Naugatuck Valley Community College||750 Chase Parkway, Room K408 Waterbury, CT 06708||http://www.nv.edu/Non-Credit/Health-Care/itemId/735/Phlebotomy-Technician|
|PICC Resource Associates, LLC||4 Research Drive Suite 402 Shelton, CT 06484||http://www.piccresource.com/phlebotomy_class.php|
|Quinebaug Valley Community College||742 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239||http://www.qvcc.commnet.edu/academic/programs/health/phlebotomy.asp|
|Quinebaug Valley Community College||729 Main Street Willimantic, CT 06226||http://www.qvcc.commnet.edu/academic/programs/health/phlebotomy.asp|
|Three Rivers Community College||574 New London Turnpike Norwich, CT 06360||http://www.trcc.commnet.edu/Dep_continuinged/index.shtml|
|Training Direct||3885 Main St., Bridgeport, CT 06606||http://www.medicaltrainingct.com/phlebotomy-technician.htm|
|Tunxis Community College||271 Scott Swamp Road Farmington, CT 06032||http://tunxis.edu/continuing-education/health-career-programs/certified-phlebotomy-technician-training/|
|Wallingford Adult Education||37 Hall Avenue Wallingford, CT 06492||https://www.wallingfordadulted.org/Content/Phlebotomy_and_EKG.asp|
|Waterbury Adult Continuing Education||28 East Clay Street Waterbury, CT 06706||http://www.waterbury.k12.ct.us/aed/page.php?pid=1438|