Have you ever wished you had the ability to save someone’s life or really make a difference in the world? I’m sure many of us have. Becoming a phlebotomy technician (phlebotomist) can be the first step towards reaching your career goals. Learn how easy it is to complete phlebotomy training in Connecticut and be part of a rewarding career.
What Will I Do as a Phlebotomy Technician?
A phlebotomy technician (phlebotomist) is a medical professional who draws blood from patience for the purpose of testing, and diagnosing and treating sickness or diseases. They may also handle urine samples as well. In addition to drawing blood, they perform other duties, including taking vital signs, taking and documenting medical histories, talking to and calming patients, sterilizing equipment, preparing blood samples for the lab and disposing of contaminated supplies. Phlebotomy technicians may find work opportunities in various medical settings such as hospitals, clinics, medical laboratories and physicians’ offices.
What Is Phlebotomy Training in Connecticut Like?
If you’re interested in completing phlebotomy training in Connecticut, you’ll have several schools from which to choose. Phlebotomy training is usually a short-term program (less than a year) that results in a certificate or diploma. The curriculum includes coursework, lectures and hands-on training. Course topics may include medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, human communication, phlebotomy techniques, universal precautions and infection control, specimen handling and collection procedures, among others. For practical experience, you’ll be required to complete an internship at a medical facility to receive supervised, hands-on training.
One Connecticut college, in particular, requires phlebotomy students to complete at least 100 hours and do at least 100 unassisted blood draws. While hands-on training is required in all phlebotomy training in Connecticut, the number of hours and procedures required may vary from school to school. Prior to starting the phlebotomy training, students are required to meet certain admission requirements such as proof of health screenings, immunizations, criminal background checks and CPR certification. These may also vary by school.
How Do I Obtain Phlebotomy Certification in Connecticut?
The State of Connecticut Department of Public Health does not require that phlebotomy certification in Connecticut. However, they do acknowledge that employers prefer to have the phlebotomy technicians certified. Aspiring phlebotomy technicians can obtain phlebotomy certification in Connecticut from several different organizations. The American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians (ASPT) offers a certification exam to candidates who have completed an accredited training program or have at least one year of part-time or six months of full-time work in the field.
The American Medical Technologists (AMT) offers phlebotomy certification in Connecticut to any individual who has completed an AMT-approved phlebotomy program or completed at least 1,040 hours work experience in this field. Two other organizations offering phlebotomy certification exams are the National Healthcare Association and the National Center for Competency Testing. They also both require that candidates complete training programs or show proof of sufficient work experience.
What is the Career Outlook for Phlebotomy Technicians in Connecticut
The U. S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, who categorized these professionals as medical and clinical laboratory technologists and technicians,reported that these professionals could see an employment growth of about 13% between 2010 and 2020. The better opportunities should come to the technicians who are certified. There were approximately 1,280 medical and clinical laboratory technologists and technicians employed in Connecticut as of May 2012, and they earned a mean annual wage of $49,580 This figure is substantially higher than the nationwide earnings of $39,340.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Medical Assisting, Medical Billing and Coding, Healthcare Administration, Health Informatics, Nursing and Health Sciences Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Health and Medical Assisting Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Medical Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
- Earn your Bachelor of Science of Healthcare Management degree online
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Program focuses on the business, management, and healthcare skills necessary for healthcare organizations to run smoothly
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Healthcare Management programs at the bachelor and master’s level, with undergraduate specializations in health services administration and gerontology management.
- Specialized degrees that provide in-depth study across multiple disciplines, such as law, marketing, business, government, and technology.
- Industry-current curriculum where more of the courses you take are devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- Regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association (NCA).
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
About the College of Westchester
Since 1915, The College of Westchester (CW) has focused on the career success of its students. CW's academic programs are carefully designed to provide the skills and competencies most desired by employers. Our campus environment is highly personal and our culture centers on service to students. CW faculty is selected based on experience, credentials and a caring attitude to bring real world knowledge to the classroom. The College's technologies and web-enhanced learning tools give students anywhere, anytime connectivity to courses, professors, classmates and services. The College of Westchester offers an exceptional experience that can lead to a lifetime of achievement and success.
Get hands-on training with Ridley-Lowell Business & Technical Institute. Our campuses in New York and Connecticut can help give you career training in a wide variety of fields, including accounting, cosmetology, criminal justice, electrical systems technology, HVAC, IT, legal assisting, massage therapy, allied health, office administration, and more.
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
More Phlebotomy Classes in Connecticut
|Academy of Medical Training||521 Wolcott Street Waterbury, CT 06705||http://academyofmedicaltraining.comcastbiz.net/index2.html|
|American Red Cross-Occupational School||703 Whitney Ave., New Haven, CT 06511||http://www.redcross.org/ct|
|Asnantuck Community College||170 Elm Street Enfield, CT 06082||http://www.asnuntuck.edu/courses-programs/health-care-certificate-programs|
|Branford Hall Career Institute||155 Main Street Suite 302 Danbury, CT 06810||http://www.branfordhall.edu/Programs/Phlebotomy-Technician/155/|
|Goodwin College||One Riverside Drive East Hartford, CT 06118||http://www.goodwin.edu/Majors/Phlebotomy/default.asp|
|Griffin Hospital School of Allied Health Careers||300 Seymour Avenue Suite 206 Derby, CT 06418||http://www.griffinhealth.org/Research-Training/School-of-Allied-Health-Careers.aspx|
|Hartford Hospital||80 Seymour Street Hartford, CT 06102||http://www.harthosp.org/AlliedHealth/Phlebotomist/default.aspx|
|Manchester Community College||Great Path P.O. Box 1046 Manchester, CT 06045-1046||http://www.mcc.commnet.edu/continuing/credit-free/allied-health/phlebotomy-certification-program.php|
|Naugatuck Valley Community College||750 Chase Parkway, Room K408 Waterbury, CT 06708||http://www.nv.edu/Non-Credit/Health-Care/itemId/735/Phlebotomy-Technician|
|PICC Resource Associates, LLC||4 Research Drive Suite 402 Shelton, CT 06484||http://www.piccresource.com/phlebotomy_class.php|
|Quinebaug Valley Community College||742 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239||http://www.qvcc.commnet.edu/academic/programs/health/phlebotomy.asp|
|Quinebaug Valley Community College||729 Main Street Willimantic, CT 06226||http://www.qvcc.commnet.edu/academic/programs/health/phlebotomy.asp|
|Three Rivers Community College||574 New London Turnpike Norwich, CT 06360||http://www.trcc.commnet.edu/Dep_continuinged/index.shtml|
|Training Direct||3885 Main St., Bridgeport, CT 06606||http://www.medicaltrainingct.com/phlebotomy-technician.htm|
|Tunxis Community College||271 Scott Swamp Road Farmington, CT 06032||http://tunxis.edu/continuing-education/health-career-programs/certified-phlebotomy-technician-training/|
|Wallingford Adult Education||37 Hall Avenue Wallingford, CT 06492||https://www.wallingfordadulted.org/Content/Phlebotomy_and_EKG.asp|
|Waterbury Adult Continuing Education||28 East Clay Street Waterbury, CT 06706||http://www.waterbury.k12.ct.us/aed/page.php?pid=1438|