Phlebotomists are professionals who draw blood for a wide variety of reasons, including transfusions, blood donations, research or medical tests. Typically, phlebotomists enter this occupation with a postsecondary non-degree certificate from a phlebotomy program. There are many community colleges, technical schools and vocational schools in Delaware that offer a phlebotomy program. Most phlebotomy training programs can be completed in less than two months.
Phlebotomy schools in Delaware include both a didactic component and a clinical component. Classroom instruction generally takes at least 40 hours, and the clinical component requires a practicum in a real healthcare setting, such as a hospital or medical center. Today, schools use venipuncture training models with four or two veins of different sizes for teaching phlebotomy. These lifelike models include palpable veins embedded into the semi-transparent model. With this type of hands-on instruction, students are better prepared for the clinical component of the phlebotomy training curriculum.
Phlebotomy training schools in Delaware that follow the standards of the Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute require a minimum of 100 unaided blood specimen collections, including both capillary and venipuncture collections. Upon completion of the phlebotomy program, students are eligible to take the national certification examination administered by the American Medical Technologists, American Society for Clinical Pathology and the American Credentialing Agency organizations.
Job Outlook, Work Environment and Salary for Phlebotomists in Delaware
Phlebotomists work mainly in doctor’s offices, medical and diagnostic laboratories, hospitals and blood donor centers. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the job outlook is positive for these professionals. Employment is projected to grow 27 percent through 2022. Blood analysis is an essential function in hospitals and many other medical venues. As doctors and other allied healthcare professionals will need blood work for diagnosis and analysis, the demand for phlebotomists will remain strong.
The BLS also reports that the median annual salary for phlebotomists in May 2012 was $29,000. The low 10 percent earned less than $21,000, and the top 10 percent earned over $40,000. Most phlebotomists are employed full time in this field. Those who work in hospitals are typically expected to work weekends and nights.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Professional Medical Assistant
- Professional Medical Assistant Plus
- Dental Assistant
- And more...
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Master of Public Health
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MS in Exercise Science: Nutrition
- MS in Exercise Science: Community Physical Activity
- Master of Science: Healthcare Administration
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
- Current RNs can choose from RN to BSN or RN to MSN online programs
- RN-to-BSN program offers courses in Illness and Disease Management, Principles of Assessment, and Holistic Professional Nursing
- RN to MSN specializations include Family Nurse Practitioner, Adult-Gerontology and more
- Courses help develop students’ assessment, patient care, and community outreach skills
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- And more...
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- MBA - Healthcare Management
The College of Professional Studies (CPS) is where adults can find their home at Villanova University. No matter what your educational need, we’ll meet it.
- Certificate in Pre-Health Professions Science (post-baccalaureate)
More Phlebotomy Classes in Delaware
|Dawn Career Institute||3700 Lancaster Pike, Wilmington, DE 19805||http://www.dawncareerinstitute.edu/phlebotomy_technician|
|Delaware Technical Community College||Terry Campus- 100 Campus Drive Dover, DE 19904||https://www.dtcc.edu/|
|Tri-State Technical School||106 E. Market Street, Laurel, DE19956||http://www.tristatetechnicalschool.com/|
|3707 N Market St Wilmington, DE 19802||http://www.explore-schools.com/form/cdm/?campaign_id=12540351|
|Columbus State Community College||5100 Cornerstone Dr, Delaware, OH 43015||http://www.cscc.edu/academics/departments/phlebotomy/|
|Harris School of Business||97 Commerce Way #105 Dover, DE 19904||http://www.trade-schools.net/harris-school-of-business/default.asp|
|Harris School of Business||1413 Foulk Rd, Wilmington, DE 19803||http://www.trade-schools.net/harris-school-of-business/default.asp|
|CAMTECH||563 N Hall St Seaford, DE 19973,||http://www.camtechedu.com/index.html|