Phlebotomy, the practice of drawing blood for lab testing, transfusion or donation purposes, is an exciting career and is becoming increasingly popular with people looking to enter the medical field. As the population continues to grow in the United States, the demand for qualified phlebotomy technicians also increases. Workplaces for phlebotomists range from large hospitals to private practices and clinics to mobile blood donation sites.
There are a number of community colleges, universities and vocational schools that offer phlebotomy training in Idaho. Students that choose to study phlebotomy at a vocational school or university extension program can enter the field much faster than those that take the traditional community college or university route, but will only receive a certification in phlebotomy through the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP), rather than a more well-rounded associate’s or bachelor’s degree in medical assisting in which the phlebotomy training is a part of.
The phlebotomy programs of most vocational schools consists of an intensive 90 to 120 hours of classroom instruction, while the phlebotomy portion of community college or university’s medical assisting program runs over the course of an entire semester. Regardless of which type of school a student attends, the curriculum is focused on anatomy and physiology, as well as the technical aspects of the field.
Requirements for Phlebotomists in Idaho
In the United States, only California, Florida, Nevada, Louisiana and Washington require a phlebotomist to be licensed through the state’s Department of Public Health. Though the State of Idaho does not require a phlebotomist to be licensed or certified, but most employers will not consider applicants without certification from an accredited college, university or governing body of pathological research.
Due to the nature of the work involved, phlebotomists in the State of Idaho are subject to pre-employment background checks and drug screenings and must be fully vaccinated for a wide range of blood-borne diseases.
Employment Outlook for Phlebotomists in Idaho
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average annual salary for a phlebotomist in Idaho is $27,790. Though this sounds low for a profession in the medical field, this wage is balanced by the low cost of living in the state. A 2013 CNBC poll ranked Idaho in third place, tied with Kentucky, for the state with the lowest cost of living.
The unemployment rate in Idaho is among the lowest in the country, but the number of employed phlebotomists in the state is low as well, making job openings in the field hard to come by. As of January 2014, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics lists the number of employed phlebotomists in the state at 440. Neighboring Oregon has employs nearly quadruple the number of phlebotomists with an average annual salary nearly $7,000 higher than the Idaho average. Oregon does not require a license from the Department of Public Health. Over the next five years, the need for phlebotomists is expected to grow by upwards of 10 percent, nationwide.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- Associate of Science in Health Science - Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- And more...
Penn Foster College
Penn Foster College offers a complete learning experience for busy adults looking to advance their education around their schedule. With Penn Foster College, you can earn your degree or undergraduate certificate online and at a pace that’s right for you.
Here’s why thousands of students have chosen Penn Foster College:
• Accreditation —Penn Foster College is nationally accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC) and licensed by the Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education.
- Veterinary Technician (Associate)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in Stevens-Henager College is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Medical Specialties (AOS)
- Respiratory Therapy (AS)
At Animal Behavior College (ABC), we're dedicated to helping animal lovers pursue animal careers. Owned and operated by experienced pet industry experts, our school offers hands-on animal career training experience. We offer flexible scheduling and the opportunity to study from home for a portion of the program. For graduates, we also offer the best job placement opportunities available in the nation.
- Veterinary Assistant
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Earn your Bachelor of Science of Healthcare Management degree online
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Program focuses on the business, management, and healthcare skills necessary for healthcare organizations to run smoothly
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance
- Healthcare Management (BS)
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
- MS Nursing
- MS Nursing: Patient Safety and Quality
- MS Nursing: Clinical Nurse Leader
- And more...
More Phlebotomy Schools in Idaho
|Bingham Memorial Hospital||98 Poplar Street Blackfoot, ID 83221||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|College of Southern Idaho||315 Falls Avenue PO Box 1238 Twin Falls, ID 83303-1238||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|College of Western Idaho||CWI at Boise State University-1464 University Dr. Boise, ID 83706||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|College of Western Idaho||CWI Eagle River- 485 E. Riverside Drive Eagle, ID 83616||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|Idaho State University Workforce Training||921 South 8th Avenue Pocatello, ID 83209||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|Lewis-Clark State College||1920 3rd Avenue North Lewiston, ID 83501||http://www.lcsc.edu/wft/|
|North Idaho State College||525 W Clearwater Loop Post Falls, ID 83854||http://northidaho.augusoft.net/index.cfm?method=ClassInfo.ClassInformation&int_class_id=54872&int_category_id=18&int_sub_category_id=200&int_catalog_id=0|
|Brown Mackie College||9050 W Overland Rd Boise, ID 83709,||http://www.brownmackie.edu/|
|Milan Institute||1021 W Hemingway Blvd|
|Brodview University||2750 E Gala St Meridian, ID 83642||http://www.broadviewuniversity.edu/locations/boise.aspx|
|Stevens-Henager College||1444 S Entertainment Ave Boise, ID 83709||http://www.stevenshenager.edu/|
|Carrington College||1122 North Liberty Street|
Boise, ID 83704