Phlebotomy, the practice of drawing blood for lab testing, transfusion or donation purposes, is an exciting career and is becoming increasingly popular with people looking to enter the medical field. As the population continues to grow in the United States, the demand for qualified phlebotomy technicians also increases. Workplaces for phlebotomists range from large hospitals to private practices and clinics to mobile blood donation sites.
There are a number of community colleges, universities and vocational schools that offer phlebotomy training in Idaho. Students that choose to study phlebotomy at a vocational school or university extension program can enter the field much faster than those that take the traditional community college or university route, but will only receive a certification in phlebotomy through the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP), rather than a more well-rounded associate’s or bachelor’s degree in medical assisting in which the phlebotomy training is a part of.
The phlebotomy programs of most vocational schools consists of an intensive 90 to 120 hours of classroom instruction, while the phlebotomy portion of community college or university’s medical assisting program runs over the course of an entire semester. Regardless of which type of school a student attends, the curriculum is focused on anatomy and physiology, as well as the technical aspects of the field.
Requirements for Phlebotomists in Idaho
In the United States, only California, Florida, Nevada, Louisiana and Washington require a phlebotomist to be licensed through the state’s Department of Public Health. Though the State of Idaho does not require a phlebotomist to be licensed or certified, but most employers will not consider applicants without certification from an accredited college, university or governing body of pathological research.
Due to the nature of the work involved, phlebotomists in the State of Idaho are subject to pre-employment background checks and drug screenings and must be fully vaccinated for a wide range of blood-borne diseases.
Employment Outlook for Phlebotomists in Idaho
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average annual salary for a phlebotomist in Idaho is $27,790. Though this sounds low for a profession in the medical field, this wage is balanced by the low cost of living in the state. A 2013 CNBC poll ranked Idaho in third place, tied with Kentucky, for the state with the lowest cost of living.
The unemployment rate in Idaho is among the lowest in the country, but the number of employed phlebotomists in the state is low as well, making job openings in the field hard to come by. As of January 2014, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics lists the number of employed phlebotomists in the state at 440. Neighboring Oregon has employs nearly quadruple the number of phlebotomists with an average annual salary nearly $7,000 higher than the Idaho average. Oregon does not require a license from the Department of Public Health. Over the next five years, the need for phlebotomists is expected to grow by upwards of 10 percent, nationwide.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
Orion College is a post-secondary vocational school offering Associate Degree programs in Business Administration, Medical Assisting and Healthcare Management.. By utilizing online learning, students have the flexibility to continue their education from the convenience of their own home. Our virtual classrooms will enable students to attend classes and communicate with instructors and classmates. Students can complete some programs without leaving their current employment or sacrificing family time.
- Medical Assisting
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in Stevens-Henager College is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Medical Specialties (AOS)
- Respiratory Therapy (AS)
- Medical Billing Specialist
At Broadveiw University, we prepare students for exciting careers in high-value fields. Imagine getting paid for what you love doing. It all starts with career-based training at Broadview University.
- Bachelor of Science in Health Care Management
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
The lessons learned in your online courses can prepare you for whatever area of public health you’re interested in. Courses include the following:
- Public Health Biology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Health
- Health Policy
- Finance and Budget
- Health Informatics
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Public Health Law, Ethics and Policy Analysis
Our 100% onlineand CEPH-accredited MPH program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise — and your career — without having to put your life on hold.
- Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
More Phlebotomy Schools in Idaho
|Bingham Memorial Hospital||98 Poplar Street Blackfoot, ID 83221||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|College of Southern Idaho||315 Falls Avenue PO Box 1238 Twin Falls, ID 83303-1238||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|College of Western Idaho||CWI at Boise State University-1464 University Dr. Boise, ID 83706||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|College of Western Idaho||CWI Eagle River- 485 E. Riverside Drive Eagle, ID 83616||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|Idaho State University Workforce Training||921 South 8th Avenue Pocatello, ID 83209||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|Lewis-Clark State College||1920 3rd Avenue North Lewiston, ID 83501||http://www.lcsc.edu/wft/|
|North Idaho State College||525 W Clearwater Loop Post Falls, ID 83854||http://northidaho.augusoft.net/index.cfm?method=ClassInfo.ClassInformation&int_class_id=54872&int_category_id=18&int_sub_category_id=200&int_catalog_id=0|
|Brown Mackie College||9050 W Overland Rd Boise, ID 83709,||http://www.brownmackie.edu/|
|Milan Institute||1021 W Hemingway Blvd|
|Brodview University||2750 E Gala St Meridian, ID 83642||http://www.broadviewuniversity.edu/locations/boise.aspx|
|Stevens-Henager College||1444 S Entertainment Ave Boise, ID 83709||http://www.stevenshenager.edu/|
|Carrington College||1122 North Liberty Street|
Boise, ID 83704