Phlebotomy, the practice of drawing blood for lab testing, transfusion or donation purposes, is an exciting career and is becoming increasingly popular with people looking to enter the medical field. As the population continues to grow in the United States, the demand for qualified phlebotomy technicians also increases. Workplaces for phlebotomists range from large hospitals to private practices and clinics to mobile blood donation sites.
There are a number of community colleges, universities and vocational schools that offer phlebotomy training in Idaho. Students that choose to study phlebotomy at a vocational school or university extension program can enter the field much faster than those that take the traditional community college or university route, but will only receive a certification in phlebotomy through the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP), rather than a more well-rounded associate’s or bachelor’s degree in medical assisting in which the phlebotomy training is a part of.
The phlebotomy programs of most vocational schools consists of an intensive 90 to 120 hours of classroom instruction, while the phlebotomy portion of community college or university’s medical assisting program runs over the course of an entire semester. Regardless of which type of school a student attends, the curriculum is focused on anatomy and physiology, as well as the technical aspects of the field.
Requirements for Phlebotomists in Idaho
In the United States, only California, Florida, Nevada, Louisiana and Washington require a phlebotomist to be licensed through the state’s Department of Public Health. Though the State of Idaho does not require a phlebotomist to be licensed or certified, but most employers will not consider applicants without certification from an accredited college, university or governing body of pathological research.
Due to the nature of the work involved, phlebotomists in the State of Idaho are subject to pre-employment background checks and drug screenings and must be fully vaccinated for a wide range of blood-borne diseases.
Employment Outlook for Phlebotomists in Idaho
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average annual salary for a phlebotomist in Idaho is $27,790. Though this sounds low for a profession in the medical field, this wage is balanced by the low cost of living in the state. A 2013 CNBC poll ranked Idaho in third place, tied with Kentucky, for the state with the lowest cost of living.
The unemployment rate in Idaho is among the lowest in the country, but the number of employed phlebotomists in the state is low as well, making job openings in the field hard to come by. As of January 2014, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics lists the number of employed phlebotomists in the state at 440. Neighboring Oregon has employs nearly quadruple the number of phlebotomists with an average annual salary nearly $7,000 higher than the Idaho average. Oregon does not require a license from the Department of Public Health. Over the next five years, the need for phlebotomists is expected to grow by upwards of 10 percent, nationwide.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Medical Billing Specialist
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Healthcare Management programs at the bachelor and master’s level, with undergraduate specializations in health services administration and gerontology management.
- Specialized degrees that provide in-depth study across multiple disciplines, such as law, marketing, business, government, and technology.
- Industry-current curriculum where more of the courses you take are devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- Regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association (NCA).
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- Doctor of Business Administration: Healthcare Management
- Veterinary Assistant
Founded in 1819, the University of Cincinnati (UC) has been categorized at the highest level of higher education: the Carnegie Commission (which evaluates the achievements of faculty, current research, leading edge curriculum, and accreditation) has recognized UC as a Doctoral/Research University — Extensive. Each year, this urban, public, nonprofit university graduates 5,000 students, adding to more than 200,000 living alumni around the world. The online programs connect students to a dynamic community of devoted educators, accessible research, and a dedicated support team.
- Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Therapy
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
Work toward your graduate degree with New England College Online. We offer master's degree programs in management, accounting, and public policy that can be completed 100% online.
- MS in Management/Healthcare Administration
More Phlebotomy Schools in Idaho
|Bingham Memorial Hospital||98 Poplar Street Blackfoot, ID 83221||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|College of Southern Idaho||315 Falls Avenue PO Box 1238 Twin Falls, ID 83303-1238||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|College of Western Idaho||CWI at Boise State University-1464 University Dr. Boise, ID 83706||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|College of Western Idaho||CWI Eagle River- 485 E. Riverside Drive Eagle, ID 83616||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|Idaho State University Workforce Training||921 South 8th Avenue Pocatello, ID 83209||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|Lewis-Clark State College||1920 3rd Avenue North Lewiston, ID 83501||http://www.lcsc.edu/wft/|
|North Idaho State College||525 W Clearwater Loop Post Falls, ID 83854||http://northidaho.augusoft.net/index.cfm?method=ClassInfo.ClassInformation&int_class_id=54872&int_category_id=18&int_sub_category_id=200&int_catalog_id=0|
|Brown Mackie College||9050 W Overland Rd Boise, ID 83709,||http://www.brownmackie.edu/|
|Milan Institute||1021 W Hemingway Blvd|
|Brodview University||2750 E Gala St Meridian, ID 83642||http://www.broadviewuniversity.edu/locations/boise.aspx|
|Stevens-Henager College||1444 S Entertainment Ave Boise, ID 83709||http://www.stevenshenager.edu/|
|Carrington College||1122 North Liberty Street|
Boise, ID 83704