Phlebotomy, the practice of drawing blood for lab testing, transfusion or donation purposes, is an exciting career and is becoming increasingly popular with people looking to enter the medical field. As the population continues to grow in the United States, the demand for qualified phlebotomy technicians also increases. Workplaces for phlebotomists range from large hospitals to private practices and clinics to mobile blood donation sites.
There are a number of community colleges, universities and vocational schools that offer phlebotomy training in Idaho. Students that choose to study phlebotomy at a vocational school or university extension program can enter the field much faster than those that take the traditional community college or university route, but will only receive a certification in phlebotomy through the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP), rather than a more well-rounded associate’s or bachelor’s degree in medical assisting in which the phlebotomy training is a part of.
The phlebotomy programs of most vocational schools consists of an intensive 90 to 120 hours of classroom instruction, while the phlebotomy portion of community college or university’s medical assisting program runs over the course of an entire semester. Regardless of which type of school a student attends, the curriculum is focused on anatomy and physiology, as well as the technical aspects of the field.
Requirements for Phlebotomists in Idaho
In the United States, only California, Florida, Nevada, Louisiana and Washington require a phlebotomist to be licensed through the state’s Department of Public Health. Though the State of Idaho does not require a phlebotomist to be licensed or certified, but most employers will not consider applicants without certification from an accredited college, university or governing body of pathological research.
Due to the nature of the work involved, phlebotomists in the State of Idaho are subject to pre-employment background checks and drug screenings and must be fully vaccinated for a wide range of blood-borne diseases.
Employment Outlook for Phlebotomists in Idaho
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average annual salary for a phlebotomist in Idaho is $27,790. Though this sounds low for a profession in the medical field, this wage is balanced by the low cost of living in the state. A 2013 CNBC poll ranked Idaho in third place, tied with Kentucky, for the state with the lowest cost of living.
The unemployment rate in Idaho is among the lowest in the country, but the number of employed phlebotomists in the state is low as well, making job openings in the field hard to come by. As of January 2014, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics lists the number of employed phlebotomists in the state at 440. Neighboring Oregon has employs nearly quadruple the number of phlebotomists with an average annual salary nearly $7,000 higher than the Idaho average. Oregon does not require a license from the Department of Public Health. Over the next five years, the need for phlebotomists is expected to grow by upwards of 10 percent, nationwide.
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Pharmacy Technician
- Veterinary Assistant
- Medical Coding and Billing
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in Stevens-Henager College is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Medical Specialties (AOS)
- Respiratory Therapy (AAS)
- Looking for an Online Healthcare Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
MPH@UNC is the online Master of Public Health (MPH) program from the University of North Carolina’s Gillings School of Global Public Health, which is ranked the No. 1 public school of public health and No. 2 school of public health on U.S. News’ list, most recently published in 2015. The program offers a Leadership in Practice concentration and can be completed on a full-time or part-time basis. GRE, GMAT or MCAT scores are required.
- Do you have entrepreneurial visions to advance your career in the business world? Learn about the options available at GCU.
- Earn a competitive bachelor's or master's degree in the areas of business administration, business analytics, accounting, marketing and more.
- Many of our business degrees have attained elite accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Business Schools & Programs (ACBSP).
- GCU nurtures the startup spirit, propelling your entrepreneurial visions on a powerful platform with opportunities to help you thrive.
- Pursue a next-generation education with an online program or join Grand Canyon University's vibrant and growing campus community in beautiful Phoenix, Arizona.
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
At Post University, we believe you shouldn’t have to put your life on hold to further your education. That’s why we offer our degree and certificate programs in a highly interactive online format that emphasizes flexibility, convenience, and support.
More Phlebotomy Schools in Idaho
|Bingham Memorial Hospital||98 Poplar Street Blackfoot, ID 83221||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|College of Southern Idaho||315 Falls Avenue PO Box 1238 Twin Falls, ID 83303-1238||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|College of Western Idaho||CWI at Boise State University-1464 University Dr. Boise, ID 83706||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|College of Western Idaho||CWI Eagle River- 485 E. Riverside Drive Eagle, ID 83616||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|Idaho State University Workforce Training||921 South 8th Avenue Pocatello, ID 83209||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|Lewis-Clark State College||1920 3rd Avenue North Lewiston, ID 83501||http://www.lcsc.edu/wft/|
|North Idaho State College||525 W Clearwater Loop Post Falls, ID 83854||http://northidaho.augusoft.net/index.cfm?method=ClassInfo.ClassInformation&int_class_id=54872&int_category_id=18&int_sub_category_id=200&int_catalog_id=0|
|Brown Mackie College||9050 W Overland Rd Boise, ID 83709,||http://www.brownmackie.edu/|
|Milan Institute||1021 W Hemingway Blvd|
|Brodview University||2750 E Gala St Meridian, ID 83642||http://www.broadviewuniversity.edu/locations/boise.aspx|
|Stevens-Henager College||1444 S Entertainment Ave Boise, ID 83709||http://www.stevenshenager.edu/|
|Carrington College||1122 North Liberty Street|
Boise, ID 83704