Becoming a Phlebotomist is a great way to start a career in the heath field. Phlebotomist gain valuable experience in patient care and the processing and handling of drawn blood specimens. Many health professionals got their start as a phlebotomist and were able to successfully advance to other health care positions.
To become a phlebotomist in Illinois, you’ll need to check with individual employers for requirements. A certificate program related to phlebotomy or an Associate’s degree may be required. In general, the state of Illinois does not mandate phlebotomist technicians to be certified. Training involves learning how to draw blood specimens using the venipuncture procedure as well as knowing proper labeling, storing, and transporting procedures for collected samples.City Specific Articles for Illinois
This is a great time to consider being a phlebotomist. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects jobs for phlebotomists nationally will increase by 16% through 2018. Compared to the national average, the job openings for phlebotomists in Illinois are projected to be slow, but steady in growth. A great way to increase employability is to also become EKG Certified. The average phlebotomist working in Illinois earns between $28,544 and $47,096 and is dependent on experience level, education, and area. If you work near Chicago, the salary will be above the national average salary for phlebotomists. Train in Illinois and enjoy working as a phlebotomist in hospitals, medical labs, doctor offices, or clinics.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Insurance Billing and Office Administration
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Public Administration in Healthcare Policy & Ethics
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
The lessons learned in your online courses can prepare you for whatever area of public health you’re interested in. Courses include the following:
- Public Health Biology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Health
- Health Policy
- Finance and Budget
- Health Informatics
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Public Health Law, Ethics and Policy Analysis
Our 100% onlineand CEPH-accredited MPH program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise — and your career — without having to put your life on hold.
- Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country (Chicago, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C.) and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
National Louis University is one of the oldest and most progressive universities in Chicago. We offer more than 60 undergraduate and graduate degree programs through two colleges: the National College of Education and the College of Professional Studies and Advancement.
- B.S. in Health Care Leadership
More Phlebotomy Classes in Illinois
|City Colleges of Chicago-Malcolm X College||1900 W. Van Buren St. Chicago, IL 60612||http://www.ccc.edu/colleges/malcolm-x/departments/Pages/Phlebotomy.aspx|
|City Colleges of Chicago-Wilbur Wright College||226 W. Jackson Chicago, IL 60606||http://www.ccc.edu/colleges/wright/departments/Pages/Phlebotomy-Technician.aspx|
|College of DuPage||425 Fawell Blvd. Glen Ellyn, IL 60137||http://www.cod.edu/programs/health_sciences/phlebot.aspx|
|College of Lake County||19351 West Washington Street Grayslake, IL 60030-1198||http://www.clcillinois.edu/programs/pbt/|
|Elgin Community College||1700 Spartan Drive Elgin, IL 60123-7193||http://www.elgin.edu/catalogprograms/ProgramDetail.aspx?Program=CLTPBT.BVS|
|Harper College||1200 W. Algonquin Road Palatine, IL 60067||http://goforward.harpercollege.edu/academics/areas/health/phlebotomy.php|
|Illinois Central College||East Peoria Campus- 1 Campus Dr. East Peoria, IL 61635-0001||http://www.icc.edu/catalog/cat_display.asp?id=1409|
|Illinois Central College||Downtown Campus- 115 SW Adams St. Peoria, IL 61635-0001||http://www.icc.edu/catalog/cat_display.asp?id=1409|
|Illinois Central College||ICC North Campus-5407 N University St. Peoria, IL 61635-0001||http://www.icc.edu/catalog/cat_display.asp?id=1409|
|Illinois Valley Community College||815 North Orlando Smith Road Oglesby, IL 61348||http://catalog.ivcc.edu/guidesheet/certificate/phlebotomy/|
|Joliet Junior College||1215 Houbolt Road Joliet, IL 60431-8938||http://www.jjc.edu/academics/divisions/nursing-allied-health/allied-health/Pages/certified-phlebotomy-technician-info.aspx|
|Lake Land College||5001 Lake Land Blvd. Mattoon, IL 61938||http://www.lakeland.cc.il.us/coursedescription/courselisting-subject.cfm?prefix1=AHE|
|Lincoln Land Community College||5250 Shepherd Road Springfield, IL 62794-9256||http://www.llcc.edu/cctc/PhlebotomyTraining/tabid/6689/Default.aspx|
|Moraine Valley Community College||9000 W. College Pkwy., Palos Hills IL 60465-2478||http://www.morainevalley.edu/programs/2010-2011/1306_course.htm|
|Oakton Community College||Des Plaines Campus- 1600 East Golf Road Des Plaines, IL 60016||http://www.oakton.edu/academics/academic_departments/phlebotomy/index.php|
|Oakton Community College||Skokie Campus- 7701 North Lincoln Avenue Skokie, IL 60077||http://www.oakton.edu/academics/academic_departments/phlebotomy/index.php|
|Olney Central College- An Illinois Eastern Community College||305 North West Street Olney, IL 62450-1099||http://www.iecc.edu/occ/programs.html|
|Olney Central College- An Illinois Eastern Community College||Frontier Community College-2 Frontier Drive Fairfield, IL 62837-2601||http://www.iecc.edu/occ/programs.html|
|Richland Community College||One College Park Decatur, IL 62521||http://www.richland.edu/programs/phlebotomy|
|South Suburban College||15800 South State Street South Holland, IL 60473-1200||http://www.ssc.edu/en_US/Academics/Allied_Health/Phlebotomy/default.asp|
|South Suburban College||Belleville Campus- 2500 Carlyle Ave. Belleville, IL 62221||http://www.swic.edu/phleb/|
|South Suburban College||Sam Wolf Granite City Campus- 4950 Maryville Road Granite City, IL 62040||http://www.swic.edu/phleb/|
|Stars Academy School of Phlebotomy||Hill Creek Plaza, 8077 W. 95th Street Hickory Hills, IL 60457||http://www.stars-academy.net/baby.html|
|Waubonsee Community College||Aurora Campus- 18 S. River Street Aurora, IL 60506-4134||http://www.waubonsee.edu/learning/academics/career/phlebotomy/435/index.php|
|Waubonsee Community College||Copley Campus- 2060 Ogden Avenue Aurora, IL 60504-7222||http://www.waubonsee.edu/learning/academics/career/phlebotomy/435/index.php|
|Waubonsee Community College||Plano Campus-100 Waubonsee Drive Plano, IL 60545||http://www.waubonsee.edu/learning/academics/career/phlebotomy/435/index.php|
|Waubonsee Community College||Sugar Grove Campus-Route 47 at Waubonsee Drive Sugar Grove, IL 60554-9454||http://www.waubonsee.edu/learning/academics/career/phlebotomy/435/index.php|
|Black Hawk College||6600 34th Ave. Moline, IL 61265||http://www.bhc.edu/2011/03/phlebotomy-technician/|