Becoming a Phlebotomist is a great way to start a career in the heath field. Phlebotomist gain valuable experience in patient care and the processing and handling of drawn blood specimens. Many health professionals got their start as a phlebotomist and were able to successfully advance to other health care positions.
To become a phlebotomist in Illinois, you’ll need to check with individual employers for requirements. A certificate program related to phlebotomy or an Associate’s degree may be required. In general, the state of Illinois does not mandate phlebotomist technicians to be certified. Training involves learning how to draw blood specimens using the venipuncture procedure as well as knowing proper labeling, storing, and transporting procedures for collected samples.City Specific Articles for Illinois
This is a great time to consider being a phlebotomist. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects jobs for phlebotomists nationally will increase by 16% through 2018. Compared to the national average, the job openings for phlebotomists in Illinois are projected to be slow, but steady in growth. A great way to increase employability is to also become EKG Certified. The average phlebotomist working in Illinois earns between $28,544 and $47,096 and is dependent on experience level, education, and area. If you work near Chicago, the salary will be above the national average salary for phlebotomists. Train in Illinois and enjoy working as a phlebotomist in hospitals, medical labs, doctor offices, or clinics.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- Associate of Science in Health Science - Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- And more...
Harrison College prides itself on truly knowing our students -- their lives and families, obstacles and motivations and their dreams and goals. We also know their potential -- that's why for more than 100 years, our mission has been to provide a supportive environment, with the expectation that their success also benefits their families, friends and communities. That's the Harrison Difference.
- Medical Assisting Diploma
- Medical Office Assistant
- Medical Billing and Coding Diploma
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Insurance Billing and Office Administration
- Dental Assisting Certificate
- Medical Insurance Billing Specialist
Penn Foster College
Penn Foster College offers a complete learning experience for busy adults looking to advance their education around their schedule. With Penn Foster College, you can earn your degree or undergraduate certificate online and at a pace that’s right for you.
Here’s why thousands of students have chosen Penn Foster College:
• Accreditation —Penn Foster College is nationally accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC) and licensed by the Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education.
- Veterinary Technician (Associate)
At Animal Behavior College (ABC), we're dedicated to helping animal lovers pursue animal careers. Owned and operated by experienced pet industry experts, our school offers hands-on animal career training experience. We offer flexible scheduling and the opportunity to study from home for a portion of the program. For graduates, we also offer the best job placement opportunities available in the nation.
- Veterinary Assistant
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Dental Assistant
- Medical Billing & Coding Specialist
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Nurse Educator Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Executive Leader
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
More Phlebotomy Classes in Illinois
|City Colleges of Chicago-Malcolm X College||1900 W. Van Buren St. Chicago, IL 60612||http://www.ccc.edu/colleges/malcolm-x/departments/Pages/Phlebotomy.aspx|
|City Colleges of Chicago-Wilbur Wright College||226 W. Jackson Chicago, IL 60606||http://www.ccc.edu/colleges/wright/departments/Pages/Phlebotomy-Technician.aspx|
|College of DuPage||425 Fawell Blvd. Glen Ellyn, IL 60137||http://www.cod.edu/programs/health_sciences/phlebot.aspx|
|College of Lake County||19351 West Washington Street Grayslake, IL 60030-1198||http://www.clcillinois.edu/programs/pbt/|
|Elgin Community College||1700 Spartan Drive Elgin, IL 60123-7193||http://www.elgin.edu/catalogprograms/ProgramDetail.aspx?Program=CLTPBT.BVS|
|Harper College||1200 W. Algonquin Road Palatine, IL 60067||http://goforward.harpercollege.edu/academics/areas/health/phlebotomy.php|
|Illinois Central College||East Peoria Campus- 1 Campus Dr. East Peoria, IL 61635-0001||http://www.icc.edu/catalog/cat_display.asp?id=1409|
|Illinois Central College||Downtown Campus- 115 SW Adams St. Peoria, IL 61635-0001||http://www.icc.edu/catalog/cat_display.asp?id=1409|
|Illinois Central College||ICC North Campus-5407 N University St. Peoria, IL 61635-0001||http://www.icc.edu/catalog/cat_display.asp?id=1409|
|Illinois Valley Community College||815 North Orlando Smith Road Oglesby, IL 61348||http://catalog.ivcc.edu/guidesheet/certificate/phlebotomy/|
|Joliet Junior College||1215 Houbolt Road Joliet, IL 60431-8938||http://www.jjc.edu/academics/divisions/nursing-allied-health/allied-health/Pages/certified-phlebotomy-technician-info.aspx|
|Lake Land College||5001 Lake Land Blvd. Mattoon, IL 61938||http://www.lakeland.cc.il.us/coursedescription/courselisting-subject.cfm?prefix1=AHE|
|Lincoln Land Community College||5250 Shepherd Road Springfield, IL 62794-9256||http://www.llcc.edu/cctc/PhlebotomyTraining/tabid/6689/Default.aspx|
|Moraine Valley Community College||9000 W. College Pkwy., Palos Hills IL 60465-2478||http://www.morainevalley.edu/programs/2010-2011/1306_course.htm|
|Oakton Community College||Des Plaines Campus- 1600 East Golf Road Des Plaines, IL 60016||http://www.oakton.edu/academics/academic_departments/phlebotomy/index.php|
|Oakton Community College||Skokie Campus- 7701 North Lincoln Avenue Skokie, IL 60077||http://www.oakton.edu/academics/academic_departments/phlebotomy/index.php|
|Olney Central College- An Illinois Eastern Community College||305 North West Street Olney, IL 62450-1099||http://www.iecc.edu/occ/programs.html|
|Olney Central College- An Illinois Eastern Community College||Frontier Community College-2 Frontier Drive Fairfield, IL 62837-2601||http://www.iecc.edu/occ/programs.html|
|Richland Community College||One College Park Decatur, IL 62521||http://www.richland.edu/programs/phlebotomy|
|South Suburban College||15800 South State Street South Holland, IL 60473-1200||http://www.ssc.edu/en_US/Academics/Allied_Health/Phlebotomy/default.asp|
|South Suburban College||Belleville Campus- 2500 Carlyle Ave. Belleville, IL 62221||http://www.swic.edu/phleb/|
|South Suburban College||Sam Wolf Granite City Campus- 4950 Maryville Road Granite City, IL 62040||http://www.swic.edu/phleb/|
|Stars Academy School of Phlebotomy||Hill Creek Plaza, 8077 W. 95th Street Hickory Hills, IL 60457||http://www.stars-academy.net/baby.html|
|Waubonsee Community College||Aurora Campus- 18 S. River Street Aurora, IL 60506-4134||http://www.waubonsee.edu/learning/academics/career/phlebotomy/435/index.php|
|Waubonsee Community College||Copley Campus- 2060 Ogden Avenue Aurora, IL 60504-7222||http://www.waubonsee.edu/learning/academics/career/phlebotomy/435/index.php|
|Waubonsee Community College||Plano Campus-100 Waubonsee Drive Plano, IL 60545||http://www.waubonsee.edu/learning/academics/career/phlebotomy/435/index.php|
|Waubonsee Community College||Sugar Grove Campus-Route 47 at Waubonsee Drive Sugar Grove, IL 60554-9454||http://www.waubonsee.edu/learning/academics/career/phlebotomy/435/index.php|
|Black Hawk College||6600 34th Ave. Moline, IL 61265||http://www.bhc.edu/2011/03/phlebotomy-technician/|