Phlebotomy is the profession of drawing blood from an individual for clinical and diagnostic use. It takes great skill and proper training to accurately puncture a vein with a needle and draw the blood. A phlebotomy professional will also record and enter patient data in computer systems. The following information lists the cities in Indiana that offer phlebotomy training, what is required for training, and the job outlook for this profession.
Requirements for Phlebotomy Training in Indiana
Most phlebotomy training programs last approximately 9 to 12 weeks, or the equivalent of one semester. A few last longer. The wide range of times to complete a program may be due to the fact that the amount of hours and days each week the student is in class varies within each program. Programs often consist of a combination of classroom work and actual clinical experience.
Throughout their training students should learn different methods of drawing blood and the safety standards associated with these procedures. They will also learn about basic medical terminology, blood cultures, the different equipment needed for their profession, and understand OSHA safety rules. At the end of most training courses, the school will issue the student a certificate of completion in phlebotomy. Although this is all that’s required to work in the field of phlebotomy, students may go on to take the exam that will give them the credentials, Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT). This certification is not required in Indiana, but most employers look for employees with the certification. It would definitely be a bonus when an individual is seeking employment.
Outlook for Phlebotomy in Indiana
Phlebotomy technicians will most likely find employment in hospitals. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics the need for all types of lab technicians, including technicians in the field of phlebotomy, is expected to increase by 15 percent through 2020. The starting pay for a phlebotomist is approximately $20,000 to $25,000 a year. That averages to about $11 to $13 per hour. After gaining experience and more education in the field, a technician may possibly earn up to $40,000 annually. The pay in Indiana is about the same as other states. This is actually a bonus since the cost of living in Indiana is much lower than most other states. Because Indiana’s unemployment rate is slightly higher than the national average, it may take a little longer to secure initial employment.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
Harrison College prides itself on truly knowing our students -- their lives and families, obstacles and motivations and their dreams and goals. We also know their potential -- that's why for more than 100 years, our mission has been to provide a supportive environment, with the expectation that their success also benefits their families, friends and communities. That's the Harrison Difference.
- Medical Assisting Diploma
- Medical Office Assistant
- Medical Billing and Coding Diploma
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant
- Medical Insurance Billing and Office Administration
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Office Specialist
- Dental Assistant
- And more...
Get personalized attention with UMA.
One-on-one tutoring, pre-interview coaching, job search assistance, alumni services-they’re all included in Ultimate Medical Academy’s competitively priced tuition. As a nationally accredited school, we provide quality career training online and at our campus in Clearwater, Florida. Let’s talk about your needs, your career goals and how UMA can help you succeed.
- Diploma - Medical Administrative Assistant
- A.S. - Medical Billing & Coding
- Diploma - Medical Billing & Coding
- And more...
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Master of Public Health
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Earn your Bachelor of Science in Public Health - 100% online
- Learn about controlling infectious disease, improving healthcare access, and more
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Master of Public Health
- BS in Public Health
More Phlebotomy Classes in Indiana
|ABP, Inc.||P.O. Box 127 Granger, IN 46530||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|Center for Phlebotomy Education’s School of Phlebotomy||1304 N. Old Hwy 135, Ste. 103 Corydon, IN 47112||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|In Training Inc. College of Adult Education||1330 E. Commercial Ave Lowell, IN 46356||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|Indiana University Northwest||3400 Broadway Gary, IN 46408-1197||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|Ivy Tech Community College||Bloomington Campus-200 Daniels Way Bloomington, IN 47404||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|Ivy Tech Community College||North Meridian Campus-50 West Fall Creek Parkway North Drive Indianapolis, IN 46208||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|Ivy Tech Community College||Columbus Campus- 4475 Central Avenue Columbus, IN 47203-1868||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|Ivy Tech Community College||Anderson Campus- 104 West 53rd Street Anderson, IN 46013||http://www.ivytech.edu/health-care-support/|
|MedTech College||Greenwood Campus- 1500 American Way Greenwood, IN 46143||http://www.medtech.edu/programs/short-term-medical-courses/phlebotomy-training|
|MJS College School of Nursing and Business||8315 Virginia Street, Suite 16 Merrillville, IN 46410||http://mjs-university.net/Phlebotomy%20page.html|
|National College||6060 Castleway West Drive Indianapolis, IN 46250||http://www.national-college.edu/academic-programs/medical/phlebotomy-diploma.lasso|
|Vincennes University||Jasper Campus-850 College Avenue Jasper, IN 47546||http://www.vinu.edu/content/phlebotomy-technician|