Phlebotomy is the profession of drawing blood from an individual for clinical and diagnostic use. It takes great skill and proper training to accurately puncture a vein with a needle and draw the blood. A phlebotomy professional will also record and enter patient data in computer systems. The following information lists the cities in Indiana that offer phlebotomy training, what is required for training, and the job outlook for this profession.
Requirements for Phlebotomy Training in Indiana
Most phlebotomy training programs last approximately 9 to 12 weeks, or the equivalent of one semester. A few last longer. The wide range of times to complete a program may be due to the fact that the amount of hours and days each week the student is in class varies within each program. Programs often consist of a combination of classroom work and actual clinical experience.
Throughout their training students should learn different methods of drawing blood and the safety standards associated with these procedures. They will also learn about basic medical terminology, blood cultures, the different equipment needed for their profession, and understand OSHA safety rules. At the end of most training courses, the school will issue the student a certificate of completion in phlebotomy. Although this is all that’s required to work in the field of phlebotomy, students may go on to take the exam that will give them the credentials, Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT). This certification is not required in Indiana, but most employers look for employees with the certification. It would definitely be a bonus when an individual is seeking employment.
Outlook for Phlebotomy in Indiana
Phlebotomy technicians will most likely find employment in hospitals. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics the need for all types of lab technicians, including technicians in the field of phlebotomy, is expected to increase by 15 percent through 2020. The starting pay for a phlebotomist is approximately $20,000 to $25,000 a year. That averages to about $11 to $13 per hour. After gaining experience and more education in the field, a technician may possibly earn up to $40,000 annually. The pay in Indiana is about the same as other states. This is actually a bonus since the cost of living in Indiana is much lower than most other states. Because Indiana’s unemployment rate is slightly higher than the national average, it may take a little longer to secure initial employment.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Available programs include Health Administrative Services, Human, Social, and Health Services, Medical Billing Administration, and Medical Office Management.
- Professional financial aid advisors work with students individually to find the best financial aid solution.
- All programs are 100% online.
- Accredited by the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES).
- Medical Billing Administrative Specialist - Associate of Applied Science
- Ranked 16th among the Best Colleges for Veterans in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Ranked among the Best Regional Universities in the South in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- A private institution founded in 1921 and located in Crestview Hills, KY.
- Has an average freshman retention rate is 68%.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 14:1, with 76% of its classes having fewer than 20 students.
- Accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Health Care Management
- Earn your Bachelor of Science of Healthcare Management degree online
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Program focuses on the business, management, and healthcare skills necessary for healthcare organizations to run smoothly
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Management
- Healthcare Management programs at the bachelor and master’s level, with undergraduate specializations in health services administration and gerontology management.
- Specialized degrees that provide in-depth study across multiple disciplines, such as law, marketing, business, government, and technology.
- Industry-current curriculum where more of the courses you take are devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- Regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association (NCA).
- Master's Healthcare Management
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
San Joaquin Valley College is an accredited private junior college committed to the professional success of its students and graduates.
Founded in 1977, SJVC has campuses located throughout California-including an Online division and offers a variety of accelerated Certificate and Associate of Science degree programs in the business, medical and technical fields.
- Degree - Medical Assistant
- Certificate - Medical Billing and Coding
- Degree - Medical Billing and Coding
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant
- Medical Insurance Billing and Office Administration
More Phlebotomy Classes in Indiana
|ABP, Inc.||P.O. Box 127 Granger, IN 46530||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|Center for Phlebotomy Education’s School of Phlebotomy||1304 N. Old Hwy 135, Ste. 103 Corydon, IN 47112||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|In Training Inc. College of Adult Education||1330 E. Commercial Ave Lowell, IN 46356||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|Indiana University Northwest||3400 Broadway Gary, IN 46408-1197||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|Ivy Tech Community College||Bloomington Campus-200 Daniels Way Bloomington, IN 47404||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|Ivy Tech Community College||North Meridian Campus-50 West Fall Creek Parkway North Drive Indianapolis, IN 46208||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|Ivy Tech Community College||Columbus Campus- 4475 Central Avenue Columbus, IN 47203-1868||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|Ivy Tech Community College||Anderson Campus- 104 West 53rd Street Anderson, IN 46013||http://www.ivytech.edu/health-care-support/|
|MedTech College||Greenwood Campus- 1500 American Way Greenwood, IN 46143||http://www.medtech.edu/programs/short-term-medical-courses/phlebotomy-training|
|MJS College School of Nursing and Business||8315 Virginia Street, Suite 16 Merrillville, IN 46410||http://mjs-university.net/Phlebotomy%20page.html|
|National College||6060 Castleway West Drive Indianapolis, IN 46250||http://www.national-college.edu/academic-programs/medical/phlebotomy-diploma.lasso|
|Vincennes University||Jasper Campus-850 College Avenue Jasper, IN 47546||http://www.vinu.edu/content/phlebotomy-technician|