Phlebotomy is the profession of drawing blood from an individual for clinical and diagnostic use. It takes great skill and proper training to accurately puncture a vein with a needle and draw the blood. A phlebotomy professional will also record and enter patient data in computer systems. The following information lists the cities in Indiana that offer phlebotomy training, what is required for training, and the job outlook for this profession.
Requirements for Phlebotomy Training in Indiana
Most phlebotomy training programs last approximately 9 to 12 weeks, or the equivalent of one semester. A few last longer. The wide range of times to complete a program may be due to the fact that the amount of hours and days each week the student is in class varies within each program. Programs often consist of a combination of classroom work and actual clinical experience.
Throughout their training students should learn different methods of drawing blood and the safety standards associated with these procedures. They will also learn about basic medical terminology, blood cultures, the different equipment needed for their profession, and understand OSHA safety rules. At the end of most training courses, the school will issue the student a certificate of completion in phlebotomy. Although this is all that’s required to work in the field of phlebotomy, students may go on to take the exam that will give them the credentials, Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT). This certification is not required in Indiana, but most employers look for employees with the certification. It would definitely be a bonus when an individual is seeking employment.
Outlook for Phlebotomy in Indiana
Phlebotomy technicians will most likely find employment in hospitals. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics the need for all types of lab technicians, including technicians in the field of phlebotomy, is expected to increase by 15 percent through 2020. The starting pay for a phlebotomist is approximately $20,000 to $25,000 a year. That averages to about $11 to $13 per hour. After gaining experience and more education in the field, a technician may possibly earn up to $40,000 annually. The pay in Indiana is about the same as other states. This is actually a bonus since the cost of living in Indiana is much lower than most other states. Because Indiana’s unemployment rate is slightly higher than the national average, it may take a little longer to secure initial employment.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
Harrison College prides itself on truly knowing our students -- their lives and families, obstacles and motivations and their dreams and goals. We also know their potential -- that's why for more than 100 years, our mission has been to provide a supportive environment, with the expectation that their success also benefits their families, friends and communities. That's the Harrison Difference.
- Medical Assisting Diploma
- Medical Office Assistant
- Medical Billing and Coding Diploma
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Office Specialist
- Dental Assistant
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant
- Medical Insurance Billing and Office Administration
Orion College is a post-secondary vocational school offering Associate Degree programs in Business Administration, Medical Assisting and Healthcare Management.. By utilizing online learning, students have the flexibility to continue their education from the convenience of their own home. Our virtual classrooms will enable students to attend classes and communicate with instructors and classmates. Students can complete some programs without leaving their current employment or sacrificing family time.
- Medical Assisting
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- MS in Exercise Science: Nutrition
- MS in Exercise Science: Community Physical Activity
- Master of Science: Healthcare Administration
- And more...
More Phlebotomy Classes in Indiana
|ABP, Inc.||P.O. Box 127 Granger, IN 46530||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|Center for Phlebotomy Education’s School of Phlebotomy||1304 N. Old Hwy 135, Ste. 103 Corydon, IN 47112||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|In Training Inc. College of Adult Education||1330 E. Commercial Ave Lowell, IN 46356||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|Indiana University Northwest||3400 Broadway Gary, IN 46408-1197||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|Ivy Tech Community College||Bloomington Campus-200 Daniels Way Bloomington, IN 47404||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|Ivy Tech Community College||North Meridian Campus-50 West Fall Creek Parkway North Drive Indianapolis, IN 46208||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|Ivy Tech Community College||Columbus Campus- 4475 Central Avenue Columbus, IN 47203-1868||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|Ivy Tech Community College||Anderson Campus- 104 West 53rd Street Anderson, IN 46013||http://www.ivytech.edu/health-care-support/|
|MedTech College||Greenwood Campus- 1500 American Way Greenwood, IN 46143||http://www.medtech.edu/programs/short-term-medical-courses/phlebotomy-training|
|MJS College School of Nursing and Business||8315 Virginia Street, Suite 16 Merrillville, IN 46410||http://mjs-university.net/Phlebotomy%20page.html|
|National College||6060 Castleway West Drive Indianapolis, IN 46250||http://www.national-college.edu/academic-programs/medical/phlebotomy-diploma.lasso|
|Vincennes University||Jasper Campus-850 College Avenue Jasper, IN 47546||http://www.vinu.edu/content/phlebotomy-technician|