Phlebotomy classes and training programs are offered at colleges and universities across Iowa. Most courses include at least 190 hours of instruction and training. Classes on hygiene, infection control, anatomy and physiology, specimen collection and integrity and quality assurance are usually included in a school’s phlebotomy training program. In addition, students are expected to spend most of their program involved in clinical hours in a hospital laboratory setting, where they gain valuable hands-on experience.
While high school graduates could apply for and receive phlebotomy positions where they are trained on the job, this is becoming a very rare opportunity. Anyone in Iowa who wants to become a phlebotomist should apply for training programs in order to gain the skills they need to succeed at the job.
Requirements for Phlebotomy Training in Iowa
Most phlebotomy courses require students to be up to date with their vaccinations before they register for the training program. This includes the Hepatitis B vaccine, the MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) vaccine and the varicella (chickenpox) vaccine. Students who do not have these vaccinations will not be allowed to participate in the clinical hours mandated in their course of study. Background checks and drug screening may also be required in order to register for and participate in a phlebotomy training program.
Career Outlook and Opportunities
Career opportunities for trained phlebotomists in Iowa tend to be good. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median hourly wage for phlebotomists in Iowa was $12.89 as of May 2012. The annual mean wage of a phlebotomist was $27,210. In addition, national growth in the field is expected to increase by 27 percent between 2012 and 2022 thanks to the increased need for support workers in the healthcare industry. Job opportunities for phlebotomists in Iowa tend to focused in the Quad Cities, Des Moines, Sioux City and Cedar Rapids, as these areas have higher populations than in more rural communities.
Many phlebotomists decide to change their career focus after a few years of employment. Some decide to apply for nursing programs in order to become registered nurses (RN’s) while others focus on re-training as laboratory.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Nurse Educator Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Executive Leader
- Diploma: Dental Assistant
- And more...
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Master of Public Health
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Public Administration in Healthcare Policy & Ethics
- Non-profit university accredited by WASC Senior Commission
- Professors with real-world experience and student centered approach
- Flexible, fully online degree programs responding to the market needs
- All courses are offered six times a year with clear path to completion and reduced time-to-degree
- No additional costs for textbooks or other fees
- Personal support from application to graduation leading to high retention and graduation rates
- Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences
- Master of Science in Health Sciences
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
More Phlebotomy Classes in Iowa
|Des Moines Area Community College||Ankeny Campus- 2006 S Ankeny Blvd Ankeny, IA 50023||https://go.dmacc.edu/programs/phlebotomy/Pages/welcome.aspx|
|Des Moines Area Community College||Boone Campus- 1125 Hancock Drive Boone, IA 50036||https://go.dmacc.edu/programs/phlebotomy/Pages/welcome.aspx|
|Des Moines Area Community College||Carroll Campus-906 N. Grant Road Carroll, IA 51401||https://go.dmacc.edu/programs/phlebotomy/Pages/welcome.aspx|
|Eastern Iowa Community College||306 West River Drive Davenport, IA 52801||http://www.eicc.edu/business/learning/services/phlebotomy/index.html|
|Hawkeye Community College||1501 East Orange Rd., P.O. Box 8015, Waterloo, IA 50704-8015||http://www.hawkeyecollege.edu/calendars/continuing-education/phlebotomy-technician-2.aspx|
|Indian Hills Community College||Ottumwa Campus- 525 Grandview Avenue Ottumwa, IA 52501||http://catalog.indianhills.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=19&poid=2260&returnto=1448|
|Indian Hills Community College||Centerville Campus- 721 N. First Street Centerville, IA 52544||http://catalog.indianhills.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=19&poid=2260&returnto=1448|
|Iowa Valley Community College District||3702 South Center Street Marshalltown, Iowa 50158||http://www.iavalley.edu/ivce/ivce-news/02272012_phlebotomy_technician_career_program.html|
|Iowa Western Community College||2700 College Blvd. Council Bluffs, IA 51503||http://www.iwcc.edu/Continuing_Education/health_occupations/phlebotomy.asp|
|Kirkwood Community College||6301 Kirkwood Blvd. SW Cedar Rapids, IA 52404||http://www.kirkwood.edu/site/index.php?p=2611#Phlebotomy|
|Saint Luke’s College||2720 Stone Park Boulevard Sioux City, IA 51104||http://www.stlukescollege.edu/body.cfm?id=76|
|University of Iowa-Carver College of Medicine||451 Newton Road|
200 Medicine Administration Building
Iowa City, IA
|Iowa Central Community College||1 Triton Circle|
Fort Dodge, IA 50501
|Allen College||1825 Logan Avenue|
Waterloo, IA 50703