Phlebotomy classes and training programs are offered at colleges and universities across Iowa. Most courses include at least 190 hours of instruction and training. Classes on hygiene, infection control, anatomy and physiology, specimen collection and integrity and quality assurance are usually included in a school’s phlebotomy training program. In addition, students are expected to spend most of their program involved in clinical hours in a hospital laboratory setting, where they gain valuable hands-on experience.
While high school graduates could apply for and receive phlebotomy positions where they are trained on the job, this is becoming a very rare opportunity. Anyone in Iowa who wants to become a phlebotomist should apply for training programs in order to gain the skills they need to succeed at the job.
Requirements for Phlebotomy Training in Iowa
Most phlebotomy courses require students to be up to date with their vaccinations before they register for the training program. This includes the Hepatitis B vaccine, the MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) vaccine and the varicella (chickenpox) vaccine. Students who do not have these vaccinations will not be allowed to participate in the clinical hours mandated in their course of study. Background checks and drug screening may also be required in order to register for and participate in a phlebotomy training program.
Career Outlook and Opportunities
Career opportunities for trained phlebotomists in Iowa tend to be good. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median hourly wage for phlebotomists in Iowa was $12.89 as of May 2012. The annual mean wage of a phlebotomist was $27,210. In addition, national growth in the field is expected to increase by 27 percent between 2012 and 2022 thanks to the increased need for support workers in the healthcare industry. Job opportunities for phlebotomists in Iowa tend to focused in the Quad Cities, Des Moines, Sioux City and Cedar Rapids, as these areas have higher populations than in more rural communities.
Many phlebotomists decide to change their career focus after a few years of employment. Some decide to apply for nursing programs in order to become registered nurses (RN’s) while others focus on re-training as laboratory.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Healthcare Management programs at the bachelor and master’s level, with undergraduate specializations in health services administration and gerontology management.
- Specialized degrees that provide in-depth study across multiple disciplines, such as law, marketing, business, government, and technology.
- Industry-current curriculum where more of the courses you take are devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- Regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association (NCA).
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
- Veterinary Assistant
Penn Foster College
Penn Foster College offers a complete learning experience for busy adults looking to advance their education around their schedule. With Penn Foster College, you can earn your degree or undergraduate certificate online and at a pace that’s right for you.
Here’s why thousands of students have chosen Penn Foster College:
• Accreditation —Penn Foster College is nationally accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC) and licensed by the Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education.
- Veterinary Technician (Associate)
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
Whatever your motivation for considering an undergraduate or graduate degree, Florida Tech offers programs online that can meet your needs. Here are a few reasons Florida Tech may be the right choice for you.
- Associate of Arts in Healthcare Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration/Healthcare Management
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
More Phlebotomy Classes in Iowa
|Des Moines Area Community College||Ankeny Campus- 2006 S Ankeny Blvd Ankeny, IA 50023||https://go.dmacc.edu/programs/phlebotomy/Pages/welcome.aspx|
|Des Moines Area Community College||Boone Campus- 1125 Hancock Drive Boone, IA 50036||https://go.dmacc.edu/programs/phlebotomy/Pages/welcome.aspx|
|Des Moines Area Community College||Carroll Campus-906 N. Grant Road Carroll, IA 51401||https://go.dmacc.edu/programs/phlebotomy/Pages/welcome.aspx|
|Eastern Iowa Community College||306 West River Drive Davenport, IA 52801||http://www.eicc.edu/business/learning/services/phlebotomy/index.html|
|Hawkeye Community College||1501 East Orange Rd., P.O. Box 8015, Waterloo, IA 50704-8015||http://www.hawkeyecollege.edu/calendars/continuing-education/phlebotomy-technician-2.aspx|
|Indian Hills Community College||Ottumwa Campus- 525 Grandview Avenue Ottumwa, IA 52501||http://catalog.indianhills.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=19&poid=2260&returnto=1448|
|Indian Hills Community College||Centerville Campus- 721 N. First Street Centerville, IA 52544||http://catalog.indianhills.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=19&poid=2260&returnto=1448|
|Iowa Valley Community College District||3702 South Center Street Marshalltown, Iowa 50158||http://www.iavalley.edu/ivce/ivce-news/02272012_phlebotomy_technician_career_program.html|
|Iowa Western Community College||2700 College Blvd. Council Bluffs, IA 51503||http://www.iwcc.edu/Continuing_Education/health_occupations/phlebotomy.asp|
|Kirkwood Community College||6301 Kirkwood Blvd. SW Cedar Rapids, IA 52404||http://www.kirkwood.edu/site/index.php?p=2611#Phlebotomy|
|Saint Luke’s College||2720 Stone Park Boulevard Sioux City, IA 51104||http://www.stlukescollege.edu/body.cfm?id=76|
|University of Iowa-Carver College of Medicine||451 Newton Road|
200 Medicine Administration Building
Iowa City, IA
|Iowa Central Community College||1 Triton Circle|
Fort Dodge, IA 50501
|Allen College||1825 Logan Avenue|
Waterloo, IA 50703