Phlebotomy classes and training programs are offered at colleges and universities across Iowa. Most courses include at least 190 hours of instruction and training. Classes on hygiene, infection control, anatomy and physiology, specimen collection and integrity and quality assurance are usually included in a school’s phlebotomy training program. In addition, students are expected to spend most of their program involved in clinical hours in a hospital laboratory setting, where they gain valuable hands-on experience.
While high school graduates could apply for and receive phlebotomy positions where they are trained on the job, this is becoming a very rare opportunity. Anyone in Iowa who wants to become a phlebotomist should apply for training programs in order to gain the skills they need to succeed at the job.
Requirements for Phlebotomy Training in Iowa
Most phlebotomy courses require students to be up to date with their vaccinations before they register for the training program. This includes the Hepatitis B vaccine, the MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) vaccine and the varicella (chickenpox) vaccine. Students who do not have these vaccinations will not be allowed to participate in the clinical hours mandated in their course of study. Background checks and drug screening may also be required in order to register for and participate in a phlebotomy training program.
Career Outlook and Opportunities
Career opportunities for trained phlebotomists in Iowa tend to be good. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median hourly wage for phlebotomists in Iowa was $12.89 as of May 2012. The annual mean wage of a phlebotomist was $27,210. In addition, national growth in the field is expected to increase by 27 percent between 2012 and 2022 thanks to the increased need for support workers in the healthcare industry. Job opportunities for phlebotomists in Iowa tend to focused in the Quad Cities, Des Moines, Sioux City and Cedar Rapids, as these areas have higher populations than in more rural communities.
Many phlebotomists decide to change their career focus after a few years of employment. Some decide to apply for nursing programs in order to become registered nurses (RN’s) while others focus on re-training as laboratory.
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Insurance Billing and Office Administration
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
Since 1977, Keiser University has provided quality student-centered, career-focused education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions. Degrees are offered with a curriculum that is in pace with technology and workforce demand trends in business, criminal justice, health care, information technology and more. Our “one-class-at-a-time” approach allows busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family.
Why Keiser University Online?
Online Convenience, Personalized Attention
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Science
- Associate of Science in Medical Administrative Billing and Coding
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Master of Public Health
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Healthcare Management
- Doctor of Strategic Leadership - Healthcare Leadership
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management
- And more...
- Do you have entrepreneurial visions to advance your career in the business world? Learn about the options available at GCU.
- Earn a competitive bachelor's or master's degree in the areas of business administration, business analytics, accounting, marketing and more.
- Many of our business degrees have attained elite accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Business Schools & Programs (ACBSP).
- GCU nurtures the startup spirit, propelling your entrepreneurial visions on a powerful platform with opportunities to help you thrive.
- Pursue a next-generation education with an online program or join Grand Canyon University's vibrant and growing campus community in beautiful Phoenix, Arizona.
- M.B.A.: Health Systems Management
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Health Care Management B.S.
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
More Phlebotomy Classes in Iowa
|Des Moines Area Community College||Ankeny Campus- 2006 S Ankeny Blvd Ankeny, IA 50023||https://go.dmacc.edu/programs/phlebotomy/Pages/welcome.aspx|
|Des Moines Area Community College||Boone Campus- 1125 Hancock Drive Boone, IA 50036||https://go.dmacc.edu/programs/phlebotomy/Pages/welcome.aspx|
|Des Moines Area Community College||Carroll Campus-906 N. Grant Road Carroll, IA 51401||https://go.dmacc.edu/programs/phlebotomy/Pages/welcome.aspx|
|Eastern Iowa Community College||306 West River Drive Davenport, IA 52801||http://www.eicc.edu/business/learning/services/phlebotomy/index.html|
|Hawkeye Community College||1501 East Orange Rd., P.O. Box 8015, Waterloo, IA 50704-8015||http://www.hawkeyecollege.edu/calendars/continuing-education/phlebotomy-technician-2.aspx|
|Indian Hills Community College||Ottumwa Campus- 525 Grandview Avenue Ottumwa, IA 52501||http://catalog.indianhills.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=19&poid=2260&returnto=1448|
|Indian Hills Community College||Centerville Campus- 721 N. First Street Centerville, IA 52544||http://catalog.indianhills.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=19&poid=2260&returnto=1448|
|Iowa Valley Community College District||3702 South Center Street Marshalltown, Iowa 50158||http://www.iavalley.edu/ivce/ivce-news/02272012_phlebotomy_technician_career_program.html|
|Iowa Western Community College||2700 College Blvd. Council Bluffs, IA 51503||http://www.iwcc.edu/Continuing_Education/health_occupations/phlebotomy.asp|
|Kirkwood Community College||6301 Kirkwood Blvd. SW Cedar Rapids, IA 52404||http://www.kirkwood.edu/site/index.php?p=2611#Phlebotomy|
|Saint Luke’s College||2720 Stone Park Boulevard Sioux City, IA 51104||http://www.stlukescollege.edu/body.cfm?id=76|
|University of Iowa-Carver College of Medicine||451 Newton Road|
200 Medicine Administration Building
Iowa City, IA
|Iowa Central Community College||1 Triton Circle|
Fort Dodge, IA 50501
|Allen College||1825 Logan Avenue|
Waterloo, IA 50703