Phlebotomy classes and training programs are offered at colleges and universities across Iowa. Most courses include at least 190 hours of instruction and training. Classes on hygiene, infection control, anatomy and physiology, specimen collection and integrity and quality assurance are usually included in a school’s phlebotomy training program. In addition, students are expected to spend most of their program involved in clinical hours in a hospital laboratory setting, where they gain valuable hands-on experience.
While high school graduates could apply for and receive phlebotomy positions where they are trained on the job, this is becoming a very rare opportunity. Anyone in Iowa who wants to become a phlebotomist should apply for training programs in order to gain the skills they need to succeed at the job.
Requirements for Phlebotomy Training in Iowa
Most phlebotomy courses require students to be up to date with their vaccinations before they register for the training program. This includes the Hepatitis B vaccine, the MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) vaccine and the varicella (chickenpox) vaccine. Students who do not have these vaccinations will not be allowed to participate in the clinical hours mandated in their course of study. Background checks and drug screening may also be required in order to register for and participate in a phlebotomy training program.
Career Outlook and Opportunities
Career opportunities for trained phlebotomists in Iowa tend to be good. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median hourly wage for phlebotomists in Iowa was $12.89 as of May 2012. The annual mean wage of a phlebotomist was $27,210. In addition, national growth in the field is expected to increase by 27 percent between 2012 and 2022 thanks to the increased need for support workers in the healthcare industry. Job opportunities for phlebotomists in Iowa tend to focused in the Quad Cities, Des Moines, Sioux City and Cedar Rapids, as these areas have higher populations than in more rural communities.
Many phlebotomists decide to change their career focus after a few years of employment. Some decide to apply for nursing programs in order to become registered nurses (RN’s) while others focus on re-training as laboratory.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Insurance Billing and Office Administration
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Nurse Educator Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Executive Leader
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Public Administration in Healthcare Policy & Ethics
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- MBA - Healthcare Management
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Located in the heart of Washington, D.C., the Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University is dedicated to advancing the health of local, national and global communities. Established in 1997, the Milken Institute SPH brings together the fields of medicine, business and education to develop professionals with the skills and knowledge to tackle complex global health challenges.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree to be qualified for this school.
- Master of Public Health
More Phlebotomy Classes in Iowa
|Des Moines Area Community College||Ankeny Campus- 2006 S Ankeny Blvd Ankeny, IA 50023||https://go.dmacc.edu/programs/phlebotomy/Pages/welcome.aspx|
|Des Moines Area Community College||Boone Campus- 1125 Hancock Drive Boone, IA 50036||https://go.dmacc.edu/programs/phlebotomy/Pages/welcome.aspx|
|Des Moines Area Community College||Carroll Campus-906 N. Grant Road Carroll, IA 51401||https://go.dmacc.edu/programs/phlebotomy/Pages/welcome.aspx|
|Eastern Iowa Community College||306 West River Drive Davenport, IA 52801||http://www.eicc.edu/business/learning/services/phlebotomy/index.html|
|Hawkeye Community College||1501 East Orange Rd., P.O. Box 8015, Waterloo, IA 50704-8015||http://www.hawkeyecollege.edu/calendars/continuing-education/phlebotomy-technician-2.aspx|
|Indian Hills Community College||Ottumwa Campus- 525 Grandview Avenue Ottumwa, IA 52501||http://catalog.indianhills.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=19&poid=2260&returnto=1448|
|Indian Hills Community College||Centerville Campus- 721 N. First Street Centerville, IA 52544||http://catalog.indianhills.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=19&poid=2260&returnto=1448|
|Iowa Valley Community College District||3702 South Center Street Marshalltown, Iowa 50158||http://www.iavalley.edu/ivce/ivce-news/02272012_phlebotomy_technician_career_program.html|
|Iowa Western Community College||2700 College Blvd. Council Bluffs, IA 51503||http://www.iwcc.edu/Continuing_Education/health_occupations/phlebotomy.asp|
|Kirkwood Community College||6301 Kirkwood Blvd. SW Cedar Rapids, IA 52404||http://www.kirkwood.edu/site/index.php?p=2611#Phlebotomy|
|Saint Luke’s College||2720 Stone Park Boulevard Sioux City, IA 51104||http://www.stlukescollege.edu/body.cfm?id=76|
|University of Iowa-Carver College of Medicine||451 Newton Road|
200 Medicine Administration Building
Iowa City, IA
|Iowa Central Community College||1 Triton Circle|
Fort Dodge, IA 50501
|Allen College||1825 Logan Avenue|
Waterloo, IA 50703