Phlebotomy classes and training programs are offered at colleges and universities across Iowa. Most courses include at least 190 hours of instruction and training. Classes on hygiene, infection control, anatomy and physiology, specimen collection and integrity and quality assurance are usually included in a school’s phlebotomy training program. In addition, students are expected to spend most of their program involved in clinical hours in a hospital laboratory setting, where they gain valuable hands-on experience.
While high school graduates could apply for and receive phlebotomy positions where they are trained on the job, this is becoming a very rare opportunity. Anyone in Iowa who wants to become a phlebotomist should apply for training programs in order to gain the skills they need to succeed at the job.
Requirements for Phlebotomy Training in Iowa
Most phlebotomy courses require students to be up to date with their vaccinations before they register for the training program. This includes the Hepatitis B vaccine, the MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) vaccine and the varicella (chickenpox) vaccine. Students who do not have these vaccinations will not be allowed to participate in the clinical hours mandated in their course of study. Background checks and drug screening may also be required in order to register for and participate in a phlebotomy training program.
Career Outlook and Opportunities
Career opportunities for trained phlebotomists in Iowa tend to be good. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median hourly wage for phlebotomists in Iowa was $12.89 as of May 2012. The annual mean wage of a phlebotomist was $27,210. In addition, national growth in the field is expected to increase by 27 percent between 2012 and 2022 thanks to the increased need for support workers in the healthcare industry. Job opportunities for phlebotomists in Iowa tend to focused in the Quad Cities, Des Moines, Sioux City and Cedar Rapids, as these areas have higher populations than in more rural communities.
Many phlebotomists decide to change their career focus after a few years of employment. Some decide to apply for nursing programs in order to become registered nurses (RN’s) while others focus on re-training as laboratory.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Insurance Billing and Office Administration
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Nurse Educator Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Executive Leader
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- MS in Exercise Science: Nutrition
- MS in Exercise Science: Community Physical Activity
- Master of Science: Healthcare Administration
- And more...
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Public Administration in Healthcare Policy & Ethics
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
The lessons learned in your online courses can prepare you for whatever area of public health you’re interested in. Courses include the following:
- Public Health Biology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Health
- Health Policy
- Finance and Budget
- Health Informatics
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Public Health Law, Ethics and Policy Analysis
Our 100% onlineand CEPH-accredited MPH program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise — and your career — without having to put your life on hold.
- Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
More Phlebotomy Classes in Iowa
|Des Moines Area Community College||Ankeny Campus- 2006 S Ankeny Blvd Ankeny, IA 50023||https://go.dmacc.edu/programs/phlebotomy/Pages/welcome.aspx|
|Des Moines Area Community College||Boone Campus- 1125 Hancock Drive Boone, IA 50036||https://go.dmacc.edu/programs/phlebotomy/Pages/welcome.aspx|
|Des Moines Area Community College||Carroll Campus-906 N. Grant Road Carroll, IA 51401||https://go.dmacc.edu/programs/phlebotomy/Pages/welcome.aspx|
|Eastern Iowa Community College||306 West River Drive Davenport, IA 52801||http://www.eicc.edu/business/learning/services/phlebotomy/index.html|
|Hawkeye Community College||1501 East Orange Rd., P.O. Box 8015, Waterloo, IA 50704-8015||http://www.hawkeyecollege.edu/calendars/continuing-education/phlebotomy-technician-2.aspx|
|Indian Hills Community College||Ottumwa Campus- 525 Grandview Avenue Ottumwa, IA 52501||http://catalog.indianhills.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=19&poid=2260&returnto=1448|
|Indian Hills Community College||Centerville Campus- 721 N. First Street Centerville, IA 52544||http://catalog.indianhills.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=19&poid=2260&returnto=1448|
|Iowa Valley Community College District||3702 South Center Street Marshalltown, Iowa 50158||http://www.iavalley.edu/ivce/ivce-news/02272012_phlebotomy_technician_career_program.html|
|Iowa Western Community College||2700 College Blvd. Council Bluffs, IA 51503||http://www.iwcc.edu/Continuing_Education/health_occupations/phlebotomy.asp|
|Kirkwood Community College||6301 Kirkwood Blvd. SW Cedar Rapids, IA 52404||http://www.kirkwood.edu/site/index.php?p=2611#Phlebotomy|
|Saint Luke’s College||2720 Stone Park Boulevard Sioux City, IA 51104||http://www.stlukescollege.edu/body.cfm?id=76|
|University of Iowa-Carver College of Medicine||451 Newton Road|
200 Medicine Administration Building
Iowa City, IA
|Iowa Central Community College||1 Triton Circle|
Fort Dodge, IA 50501
|Allen College||1825 Logan Avenue|
Waterloo, IA 50703