Phlebotomy is the science of drawing blood from patients. The blood is then analyzed within a clinical laboratory setting. It is necessary for students to know safe blood handling techniques, venipuncture procedures, safety protocols, blood draws, sanitation protocols, medical terminology, effective patient and professional communication, and preparation of samples. A basic knowledge of human anatomy and physiology is often required, either from another college institution or high school.
Jacksonville, Florida, contains many schools for students to attend. Florida Medical Training Institute at 8102 Blanding Blvd offers a 12-week, 200-hour certificate program at a tuition of $1,363, with 80 hours of in-class learning and 120 hours of clinical experience. Students must be at least 18 years old and have a high school diploma or GED. Fortis College at 5995-2 University Blvd. offers an eight-month course that combines ECG (EKG), Phlebotomy and Lab Assistant programs that awards students with two national certifications. North Florida Medical Institute at 8824 Arlington Expressway is a two-day phlebotomy training class that covers medical terminology and blood draws, as well as proper safety procedures.
Those pursuing a career in phlebotomy in Jacksonville will be glad to know this occupation has a higher than national average projection in terms of job growth, expected to grow by more than 25 percent between now and 2020. Students may choose to work in area hospitals, blood donor banks, health clinics, home health care agencies, physicians’ offices or pharmaceutical companies. The median salary for U.S. phlebotomists, says the Bureau of Labor Statistics, is approximately $30,000 per year. Florida ranks third in the country’s highest employment level in this occupation, employing 5,470 phlebotomists at an annual mean wage of 27,310.
- Has specialized in career training since 1982.
- Offers beginning to advanced training in computer repair, medical assisting, cosmetology, nursing, and more.
- Continually maintains programs according to industry needs by working closely with industry experts and employers.
- Provides well-equipped training facilities to give students the advantage of hands-on training.
- Its instructors attend seminars and workshops to keep current with new technology and topics.
- Medical Assistant Technician (10-Month diploma program)
- Patient Care Technician (10-month diploma program)
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Medical Assisting
- Veterinary Technician
- Medical Office Admin/Billing and Coding
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Administrative Assistant
- Pharmacy Technician
Get personalized attention with UMA.
One-on-one tutoring, pre-interview coaching, job search assistance, alumni services-they’re all included in Ultimate Medical Academy’s competitively priced tuition. As a nationally accredited school, we provide quality career training online and at our campus in Clearwater, Florida. Let’s talk about your needs, your career goals and how UMA can help you succeed.
- Diploma - Medical Administrative Assistant
- A.S. - Medical Billing & Coding
- Diploma - Medical Billing & Coding
- And more...
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assisting
- Dental Assisting
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Veterinary Technology - Associates
- Respiratory Therapy
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Master of Public Health
Brenau Adult and Graduate Studies: Designed with You in Mind
If you are a busy, working adult, Brenau offers professionally focused undergraduate and graduate degrees and professional certification programs in flexible, convenient formats that meet your goals and fit your schedule. Brenau has a rich history of 135 years, with more than 35 years of experience in delivering programs for adults. As a Brenau student, you can schedule your classes in a format that is convenient to you. Many of our programs can be completed 100% online.
- Health Care Management (M.B.A.)
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Sports Medicine and Fitness Technology