Phlebotomy is the science of drawing blood from patients. The blood is then analyzed within a clinical laboratory setting. It is necessary for students to know safe blood handling techniques, venipuncture procedures, safety protocols, blood draws, sanitation protocols, medical terminology, effective patient and professional communication, and preparation of samples. A basic knowledge of human anatomy and physiology is often required, either from another college institution or high school.
Jacksonville, Florida, contains many schools for students to attend. Florida Medical Training Institute at 8102 Blanding Blvd offers a 12-week, 200-hour certificate program at a tuition of $1,363, with 80 hours of in-class learning and 120 hours of clinical experience. Students must be at least 18 years old and have a high school diploma or GED. Fortis College at 5995-2 University Blvd. offers an eight-month course that combines ECG (EKG), Phlebotomy and Lab Assistant programs that awards students with two national certifications. North Florida Medical Institute at 8824 Arlington Expressway is a two-day phlebotomy training class that covers medical terminology and blood draws, as well as proper safety procedures.
Those pursuing a career in phlebotomy in Jacksonville will be glad to know this occupation has a higher than national average projection in terms of job growth, expected to grow by more than 25 percent between now and 2020. Students may choose to work in area hospitals, blood donor banks, health clinics, home health care agencies, physicians’ offices or pharmaceutical companies. The median salary for U.S. phlebotomists, says the Bureau of Labor Statistics, is approximately $30,000 per year. Florida ranks third in the country’s highest employment level in this occupation, employing 5,470 phlebotomists at an annual mean wage of 27,310.
- Ready to Start Your Career? Get More Info From Fortis Today.
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Assistant Technician (Associate in Specialized Technology Degree)
- And more...
- Pharmacy Technician
- Veterinary Assistant
- Medical Coding and Billing
- Respiratory Therapy
- Looking for an Online Healthcare Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
MPH@UNC is the online Master of Public Health (MPH) program from the University of North Carolina’s Gillings School of Global Public Health, which is ranked the No. 1 public school of public health and No. 2 school of public health on U.S. News’ list, most recently published in 2015. The program offers a Leadership in Practice concentration and can be completed on a full-time or part-time basis. GRE, GMAT or MCAT scores are required.
At Post University, we believe you shouldn’t have to put your life on hold to further your education. That’s why we offer our degree and certificate programs in a highly interactive online format that emphasizes flexibility, convenience, and support.
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
Located just steps from the U.S. Capital, the George Washington University is uniquely positioned at the core of U.S. government, policy and law. GW students and faculty benefit from an unparalleled opportunity to study and work alongside leaders in every discipline. Whether on campus or online, you too can take part in the interchanges that shape our community and the world.