Phlebotomy is the science of drawing blood from patients. The blood is then analyzed within a clinical laboratory setting. It is necessary for students to know safe blood handling techniques, venipuncture procedures, safety protocols, blood draws, sanitation protocols, medical terminology, effective patient and professional communication, and preparation of samples. A basic knowledge of human anatomy and physiology is often required, either from another college institution or high school.
Jacksonville, Florida, contains many schools for students to attend. Florida Medical Training Institute at 8102 Blanding Blvd offers a 12-week, 200-hour certificate program at a tuition of $1,363, with 80 hours of in-class learning and 120 hours of clinical experience. Students must be at least 18 years old and have a high school diploma or GED. Fortis College at 5995-2 University Blvd. offers an eight-month course that combines ECG (EKG), Phlebotomy and Lab Assistant programs that awards students with two national certifications. North Florida Medical Institute at 8824 Arlington Expressway is a two-day phlebotomy training class that covers medical terminology and blood draws, as well as proper safety procedures.
Those pursuing a career in phlebotomy in Jacksonville will be glad to know this occupation has a higher than national average projection in terms of job growth, expected to grow by more than 25 percent between now and 2020. Students may choose to work in area hospitals, blood donor banks, health clinics, home health care agencies, physicians' offices or pharmaceutical companies. The median salary for U.S. phlebotomists, says the Bureau of Labor Statistics, is approximately $30,000 per year. Florida ranks third in the country's highest employment level in this occupation, employing 5,470 phlebotomists at an annual mean wage of 27,310.
At Florida Career College, our supportive faculty and staff are committed to helping you build a life and a future you can be proud of! We have dedicated financial aid representatives who will meet with you one-on one-to help you explore your payment options. Tutoring is available for when you need extra help and once it’s time to look for jobs, a dedicated career services representative will help you with your resume, interview skills and employer connections!
- Medical Assistant Technician (10-Month Diploma Program)
- Patient Care Technician (10-Month Diploma Program)
- Dental Assistant (10-Month Diploma Program)
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- BS in Health Sciences
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
- Accelerate your nursing career, deliver better patient care and earn 28 CNEs with Vohra’s Wound Certified Nurse (VWCN™) distinction. Use code HELLO50 for $50 off any Wound Care Certification program.
- 11 Core Modules
- 2 Bonus Modules
- Unlimited Access
- 28 ANCC Continuing Nursing Education Credits
- Wound Care Certification
- Wound Care Certification
Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do. That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL. We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training. So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
Gainful employment information can be found at UltimateMedical.edu/gainful-employment and includes information on tuition, loan debt, completion, placement, and occupations.
- A.S. - Medical Billing & Coding
- Diploma - Medical Office Billing Specialist