Also known as venipuncture, phlebotomy is the surgical puncture of a capillary or vein in order to draw blood from a patient. The blood sample is prepared for laboratory testing, and it is essential that the sample is not contaminated in any way. With certified phlebotomy training, aspiring phlebotomists learn the methods for patient preparation and the proper handling of blood samples to ensure the integrity of the sample. Phlebotomists play a vital role in the identification and treatment of serious illnesses, such as anemia, leukemia and high cholesterol levels. In addition to the identification of illnesses, phlebotomists may draw blood for blood donations and blood transfusions.
Those seeking phlebotomy certification in Kentucky can easily find phlebotomy programs at community colleges and vocational schools in major cities. The ATA College in Louisville has a 10-month phlebotomy training program that includes lab work, clinical experience and small-group instruction. Phlebotomy classes include anatomy and physiology. Other topics include maintenance of sterile work environments, patient relations and venipuncture.
National College has campuses in Richmond, Pikeville, Louisville, Lexington, Florence and Danville that offer a phlebotomy training program. This college offers blended curriculum with clinical externship placement, labs and lectures. The curriculum is comprehensive and covers basic phlebotomy procedures, assembly of equipment, how to maintain a sterile environment, how to take vital signs and the following of practices and safety standards within the phlebotomy field. Students graduate with a diploma in phlebotomy and are prepared for entry-level positions as phlebotomists.
The Medical Institute of Kentucky offers a combined phlebotomy technician and EKG technician program. Campus locations include the major cities of Florence, Louisville and Lexington. The program can be completed in just nine weeks, and both day and evening phlebotomy classes are offered for convenience. Upon completion of the program, students are eligible to sit the certification examination by the National Healthcare Association to become a certified phlebotomy technician.
Although admittance into a phlebotomy training program may vary from school to school, typical requirements include proof of high school transcripts or GED, proof of required immunizations and the passing of a criminal background check. It’s best to contact the individual school for its specific requirements.
Work Environment, Job Outlook and Salary for Phlebotomists
Phlebotomists work in a wide range of medical settings, including blood testing laboratories, hospitals, doctors’ offices, medical centers, outpatient treatment centers and blood donation centers. Most work full time. In addition to taking blood samples in a safe and sanitary manner, these professionals also work closely with patients to help quell the fears of giving blood.
The job outlook for phlebotomists is positive, and the demand for phlebotomists will continue to grow. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projects a growth rate of over 20 percent throughout 2020 for this field. This growth rate is above average when compared to other industries. The BLS also reports that the average median wage for phlebotomists is $29,000. The upper 10 percent earn over $40,000, and the lower 10 percent earn $20,000.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Available programs include Health Administrative Services, Human, Social, and Health Services, Medical Billing Administration, and Medical Office Management.
- Professional financial aid advisors work with students individually to find the best financial aid solution.
- All programs are 100% online.
- Accredited by the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES).
- Medical Billing Administrative Specialist - Associate of Applied Science
- Ranked 16th among the Best Colleges for Veterans in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Ranked among the Best Regional Universities in the South in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- A private institution founded in 1921 and located in Crestview Hills, KY.
- Has an average freshman retention rate is 68%.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 14:1, with 76% of its classes having fewer than 20 students.
- Accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Health Care Management
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Management
- Healthcare Management programs at the bachelor and master’s level, with undergraduate specializations in health services administration and gerontology management.
- Specialized degrees that provide in-depth study across multiple disciplines, such as law, marketing, business, government, and technology.
- Industry-current curriculum where more of the courses you take are devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- Regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association (NCA).
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
We Change Lives...One Person At A Time. ® Start your career education with Daymar College. We offer certificate, diploma, associate, and bachelor degree programs for careers in the business, health care, criminal justice, paralegal studies and computer technology fields.
- Medical Assisting, Associate of Science
- Medical Assisting, Diploma
- Dental Assisting, Associates Degree
- And more...
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Insurance Billing and Office Administration
More Phlebotomy Classes in Kentucky
|Ashland Community and Technical College||1400 College Dr Ashland, KY 41101-3617||http://ashland.kctcs.edu/en/workforce_solutions/programs/phlebotomy.aspx|
|ATA College||101880 Linn Station Road Suite a-200 Louisville, KY 40223||http://www.ata.edu/programs/phl.aspx|
|Big Sandy Community and Technical College||1 Bert T. Combs Drive Prestonburg, KY 41653||http://bigsandy.kctcs.edu/workforce_solutions|
|Bluegrass Community and Technical College||470 Cooper Drive Lexington, KY 40506-0235||http://www.bluegrass.kctcs.edu/en/AH/Phlebotomy.aspx|
|Campbellsville University||1 University Dr. Campbellsville, KY 42718||http://www.campbellsville.edu/phlebotomy|
|Emergency Medical Training Professionals||1141 Red Mile Road Suite 101 Lexington, KY 40504||http://emtpky.com/phlebotomy|
|Jefferson Community and Technical College ||109 East Broadway Louisville, KY 40202||http://jefferson.kctcs.edu/en/academics/programs_of_study/phlebotomy.aspx|
|Kentucky Health Training, LLC.||Lexington Location- 343 Walker Av. Suite 204 Lexington, KY 40504||http://www.khtnow.com/programs|
|Lincoln College of Technology||8095 Connector Drive Florence, KY 41042||http://www.lincolnedu.com/careers/health-sciences/phlebotomy|
|Maysville Community and Technical College||1755 U.S. Highway 68 Maysville, KY 41056||http://maysville.kctcs.edu/|
|MedTech College||McGrathiana Parkway Lexington, KY 40511||http://www.medtech.edu/programs/short-term-medical-courses/phlebotomy-training|
|National College||Pikeville Campus-50 National College Boulevard Pikeville, KY 41501||http://www.national-college.edu/academic-programs/medical/phlebotomy-diploma.lasso|
|Owensboro Community and Technical College||4800 New Hartford Road Owensboro, KY 42303||http://www.octc.kctcs.edu/|
|Phlebotomy Concepts||305 W. Broadway Ste105 Louisville, KY 40202||http://phlebotomyconcepts.tripod.com/index.html|
|Spencerian College||1575 Winchester Road Lexington, KY 40505||http://www.spencerian.edu/lexington/highschool/pro-phlebotomy.asp|
|The Medical Institute of Kentucky||Lexington Campus-2720 Old Rosebud Road Suite 230 Lexington, KY 40509||http://www.tmiky.com/medical_careers/Medical-Career-Training-Programs-KY-page#Phlebotomy%20Technician2|
|The Medical Institute of Kentucky||Louisville Campus-215 South Hurstbourne Parkway Suite 201 Louisville, KY 40222||http://www.tmiky.com/medical_careers/Medical-Career-Training-Programs-KY-page#Phlebotomy%20Technician2|
|The Medical Institute of Kentucky||Florence Campus-6900 Houston Road Building #600 Suite #24 Florence, KY 41402||http://www.tmiky.com/medical_careers/Medical-Career-Training-Programs-KY-page#Phlebotomy%20Technician2|
|Tri-State School of Phlebotomy||1324 Cannonsburg Road Ashland, KY 41102||http://tristatesop.com/php-files/news.php|