Also known as venipuncture, phlebotomy is the surgical puncture of a capillary or vein in order to draw blood from a patient. The blood sample is prepared for laboratory testing, and it is essential that the sample is not contaminated in any way. With certified phlebotomy training, aspiring phlebotomists learn the methods for patient preparation and the proper handling of blood samples to ensure the integrity of the sample. Phlebotomists play a vital role in the identification and treatment of serious illnesses, such as anemia, leukemia and high cholesterol levels. In addition to the identification of illnesses, phlebotomists may draw blood for blood donations and blood transfusions.
Those seeking phlebotomy certification in Kentucky can easily find phlebotomy programs at community colleges and vocational schools in major cities. The ATA College in Louisville has a 10-month phlebotomy training program that includes lab work, clinical experience and small-group instruction. Phlebotomy classes include anatomy and physiology. Other topics include maintenance of sterile work environments, patient relations and venipuncture.
National College has campuses in Richmond, Pikeville, Louisville, Lexington, Florence and Danville that offer a phlebotomy training program. This college offers blended curriculum with clinical externship placement, labs and lectures. The curriculum is comprehensive and covers basic phlebotomy procedures, assembly of equipment, how to maintain a sterile environment, how to take vital signs and the following of practices and safety standards within the phlebotomy field. Students graduate with a diploma in phlebotomy and are prepared for entry-level positions as phlebotomists.
The Medical Institute of Kentucky offers a combined phlebotomy technician and EKG technician program. Campus locations include the major cities of Florence, Louisville and Lexington. The program can be completed in just nine weeks, and both day and evening phlebotomy classes are offered for convenience. Upon completion of the program, students are eligible to sit the certification examination by the National Healthcare Association to become a certified phlebotomy technician.
Although admittance into a phlebotomy training program may vary from school to school, typical requirements include proof of high school transcripts or GED, proof of required immunizations and the passing of a criminal background check. It’s best to contact the individual school for its specific requirements.
Work Environment, Job Outlook and Salary for Phlebotomists
Phlebotomists work in a wide range of medical settings, including blood testing laboratories, hospitals, doctors’ offices, medical centers, outpatient treatment centers and blood donation centers. Most work full time. In addition to taking blood samples in a safe and sanitary manner, these professionals also work closely with patients to help quell the fears of giving blood.
The job outlook for phlebotomists is positive, and the demand for phlebotomists will continue to grow. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projects a growth rate of over 20 percent throughout 2020 for this field. This growth rate is above average when compared to other industries. The BLS also reports that the average median wage for phlebotomists is $29,000. The upper 10 percent earn over $40,000, and the lower 10 percent earn $20,000.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Pharmacy Technician
- Veterinary Assistant
- Medical Coding and Billing
- Looking for an Online Healthcare Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
Regis is a leading Catholic university in greater Boston with undergraduate, graduate and doctoral students in the arts, sciences and health professions devoted to engage, serve and advance in a global community. Founded in 1927, and as a leader in education, Regis is dedicated to offering programs with a holistic view of health care that are designed for the future of the field.
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
Located just steps from the U.S. Capital, the George Washington University is uniquely positioned at the core of U.S. government, policy and law. GW students and faculty benefit from an unparalleled opportunity to study and work alongside leaders in every discipline. Whether on campus or online, you too can take part in the interchanges that shape our community and the world.
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
More Phlebotomy Classes in Kentucky
|Ashland Community and Technical College||1400 College Dr Ashland, KY 41101-3617||http://ashland.kctcs.edu/en/workforce_solutions/programs/phlebotomy.aspx|
|ATA College||101880 Linn Station Road Suite a-200 Louisville, KY 40223||http://www.ata.edu/programs/phl.aspx|
|Big Sandy Community and Technical College||1 Bert T. Combs Drive Prestonburg, KY 41653||http://bigsandy.kctcs.edu/workforce_solutions|
|Bluegrass Community and Technical College||470 Cooper Drive Lexington, KY 40506-0235||http://www.bluegrass.kctcs.edu/en/AH/Phlebotomy.aspx|
|Campbellsville University||1 University Dr. Campbellsville, KY 42718||http://www.campbellsville.edu/phlebotomy|
|Emergency Medical Training Professionals||1141 Red Mile Road Suite 101 Lexington, KY 40504||http://emtpky.com/phlebotomy|
|Jefferson Community and Technical College ||109 East Broadway Louisville, KY 40202||http://jefferson.kctcs.edu/en/academics/programs_of_study/phlebotomy.aspx|
|Kentucky Health Training, LLC.||Lexington Location- 343 Walker Av. Suite 204 Lexington, KY 40504||http://www.khtnow.com/programs|
|Lincoln College of Technology||8095 Connector Drive Florence, KY 41042||http://www.lincolnedu.com/careers/health-sciences/phlebotomy|
|Maysville Community and Technical College||1755 U.S. Highway 68 Maysville, KY 41056||http://maysville.kctcs.edu/|
|MedTech College||McGrathiana Parkway Lexington, KY 40511||http://www.medtech.edu/programs/short-term-medical-courses/phlebotomy-training|
|National College||Pikeville Campus-50 National College Boulevard Pikeville, KY 41501||http://www.national-college.edu/academic-programs/medical/phlebotomy-diploma.lasso|
|Owensboro Community and Technical College||4800 New Hartford Road Owensboro, KY 42303||http://www.octc.kctcs.edu/|
|Phlebotomy Concepts||305 W. Broadway Ste105 Louisville, KY 40202||http://phlebotomyconcepts.tripod.com/index.html|
|Spencerian College||1575 Winchester Road Lexington, KY 40505||http://www.spencerian.edu/lexington/highschool/pro-phlebotomy.asp|
|The Medical Institute of Kentucky||Lexington Campus-2720 Old Rosebud Road Suite 230 Lexington, KY 40509||http://www.tmiky.com/medical_careers/Medical-Career-Training-Programs-KY-page#Phlebotomy%20Technician2|
|The Medical Institute of Kentucky||Louisville Campus-215 South Hurstbourne Parkway Suite 201 Louisville, KY 40222||http://www.tmiky.com/medical_careers/Medical-Career-Training-Programs-KY-page#Phlebotomy%20Technician2|
|The Medical Institute of Kentucky||Florence Campus-6900 Houston Road Building #600 Suite #24 Florence, KY 41402||http://www.tmiky.com/medical_careers/Medical-Career-Training-Programs-KY-page#Phlebotomy%20Technician2|
|Tri-State School of Phlebotomy||1324 Cannonsburg Road Ashland, KY 41102||http://tristatesop.com/php-files/news.php|