The first step to a career in phlebotomy is a high school diploma. Graduating with a good grade point average and plenty of science classes will build a foundation for your education. Next, you must apply to a phlebotomy training program. These classes, which last for six months to a year in most cases, are typically held at community colleges. In the Los Angeles area, you can attend phlebotomy courses at the Kaiser Permanente School of Allied Health Sciences or at the UCLA Center for Prehospital Care.
During your training, you’ll learn about human anatomy, medical terminology, preparing the patient, the procedure of drawing blood, preventing infectious diseases, and other topics that will be relevant to your career. Most programs consist of about 40 hours of classroom training, at which point you’ll be eligible for clinical training. During this phase of the program, you’ll learn how to do a variety of blood draw techniques, including venipuncture (when a large quantity of blood is taken directly from the blood vessel), heel stick, finger stick, and other procedures.
Upon graduation from the program you choose, you’ll be eligible for phlebotomy certification in Los Angeles. In California, you must be certified as a phlebotomist before being hired to practice. Before taking the test, you must complete at least 40 classroom hours and 40 clinical hours that include at least 50 venipunctures and 10 skin punctures.
There are six organizations that provide the certification exam:
- ACA (574) 277-4538;
- AMT, (800) 275-1268;
- ASCP (312) 738-1336;
- NCCT/MMCI (800) 875-4404;
- NCA (913) 438-5110; and
- NHA (800) 499-9092
Passing the certification test from any of these groups qualifies you to work as a phlebotomist in Los Angeles; you also must pay a fee to the state of California for your license.
After securing work as a phlebotomist in Los Angeles, your certificate must be renewed every two years. To be eligible for renewal, you must have completed six hours of continuing medical education over the two licensure years. Your employer can help point you in the direction of these courses; in fact, if you work at a hospital, many host continuing medical education courses directly on site.
If you’re looking for a career in the medical field with solid job security and minimal training requirements, phlebotomy is a good choice, provided you are not bothered by the sight of blood. In addition, for those who want to further their education in the medical field, it may make sense to attain phlebotomy certification and work at a hospital while furthering your education.
- Veterinary Assistant
- Pharmacy Technician
- Medical Coding and Billing
- Respiratory Therapy
Get personalized attention with UMA.
One-on-one tutoring, pre-interview coaching, job search assistance, alumni services-they’re all included in Ultimate Medical Academy’s competitively priced tuition. As a nationally accredited school, we provide quality career training online and at our campus in Clearwater, Florida. Let’s talk about your needs, your career goals and how UMA can help you succeed.
- Diploma - Medical Administrative Assistant
- A.S. - Medical Billing & Coding
- Diploma - Medical Billing & Coding
- And more...
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Master of Public Health
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Healthcare Management
- Doctor of Strategic Leadership - Healthcare Leadership
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management
- And more...
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- MS in Exercise Science: Nutrition
- MS in Exercise Science: Community Physical Activity
- Master of Science: Healthcare Administration
- And more...
- Do you have entrepreneurial visions to advance your career in the business world? Learn about the options available at GCU.
- Earn a competitive bachelor's or master's degree in the areas of business administration, business analytics, accounting, marketing and more.
- Many of our business degrees have attained elite accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Business Schools & Programs (ACBSP).
- GCU nurtures the startup spirit, propelling your entrepreneurial visions on a powerful platform with opportunities to help you thrive.
- Pursue a next-generation education with an online program or join Grand Canyon University's vibrant and growing campus community in beautiful Phoenix, Arizona.
- M.B.A.: Health Systems Management
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
The lessons learned in your online courses can prepare you for whatever area of public health you’re interested in. Courses include the following:
- Public Health Biology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Health
- Health Policy
- Finance and Budget
- Health Informatics
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Public Health Law, Ethics and Policy Analysis
Our 100% onlineand CEPH-accredited MPH program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise — and your career — without having to put your life on hold.
- Online Master of Public Health (MPH)