The first step to a career in phlebotomy is a high school diploma. Graduating with a good grade point average and plenty of science classes will build a foundation for your education. Next, you must apply to a phlebotomy training program. These classes, which last for six months to a year in most cases, are typically held at community colleges. In the Los Angeles area, you can attend phlebotomy courses at the Kaiser Permanente School of Allied Health Sciences or at the UCLA Center for Prehospital Care.
During your training, you’ll learn about human anatomy, medical terminology, preparing the patient, the procedure of drawing blood, preventing infectious diseases, and other topics that will be relevant to your career. Most programs consist of about 40 hours of classroom training, at which point you’ll be eligible for clinical training. During this phase of the program, you’ll learn how to do a variety of blood draw techniques, including venipuncture (when a large quantity of blood is taken directly from the blood vessel), heel stick, finger stick, and other procedures.
Upon graduation from the program you choose, you’ll be eligible for phlebotomy certification in Los Angeles. In California, you must be certified as a phlebotomist before being hired to practice. Before taking the test, you must complete at least 40 classroom hours and 40 clinical hours that include at least 50 venipunctures and 10 skin punctures.
There are six organizations that provide the certification exam:
- ACA (574) 277-4538;
- AMT, (800) 275-1268;
- ASCP (312) 738-1336;
- NCCT/MMCI (800) 875-4404;
- NCA (913) 438-5110; and
- NHA (800) 499-9092
Passing the certification test from any of these groups qualifies you to work as a phlebotomist in Los Angeles; you also must pay a fee to the state of California for your license.
After securing work as a phlebotomist in Los Angeles, your certificate must be renewed every two years. To be eligible for renewal, you must have completed six hours of continuing medical education over the two licensure years. Your employer can help point you in the direction of these courses; in fact, if you work at a hospital, many host continuing medical education courses directly on site.
If you’re looking for a career in the medical field with solid job security and minimal training requirements, phlebotomy is a good choice, provided you are not bothered by the sight of blood. In addition, for those who want to further their education in the medical field, it may make sense to attain phlebotomy certification and work at a hospital while furthering your education.
Get personalized attention with UMA.
One-on-one tutoring, pre-interview coaching, job search assistance, alumni services-they’re all included in Ultimate Medical Academy’s competitively priced tuition. As a nationally accredited school, we provide quality career training online and at our campus in Clearwater, Florida. Let’s talk about your needs, your career goals and how UMA can help you succeed.
- Diploma - Medical Administrative Assistant
- A.S. - Medical Billing & Coding
- Diploma - Medical Billing & Coding
- And more...
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Veterinary Technology - Associates
- Respiratory Therapy
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Master of Public Health
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Public Administration in Healthcare Policy & Ethics