The first step to a career in phlebotomy is a high school diploma. Graduating with a good grade point average and plenty of science classes will build a foundation for your education. Next, you must apply to a phlebotomy training program. These classes, which last for six months to a year in most cases, are typically held at community colleges. In the Los Angeles area, you can attend phlebotomy courses at the Kaiser Permanente School of Allied Health Sciences or at the UCLA Center for Prehospital Care.
During your training, you’ll learn about human anatomy, medical terminology, preparing the patient, the procedure of drawing blood, preventing infectious diseases, and other topics that will be relevant to your career. Most programs consist of about 40 hours of classroom training, at which point you’ll be eligible for clinical training. During this phase of the program, you’ll learn how to do a variety of blood draw techniques, including venipuncture (when a large quantity of blood is taken directly from the blood vessel), heel stick, finger stick, and other procedures.
Upon graduation from the program you choose, you’ll be eligible for phlebotomy certification in Los Angeles. In California, you must be certified as a phlebotomist before being hired to practice. Before taking the test, you must complete at least 40 classroom hours and 40 clinical hours that include at least 50 venipunctures and 10 skin punctures.
There are six organizations that provide the certification exam:
- ACA (574) 277-4538;
- AMT, (800) 275-1268;
- ASCP (312) 738-1336;
- NCCT/MMCI (800) 875-4404;
- NCA (913) 438-5110; and
- NHA (800) 499-9092
Passing the certification test from any of these groups qualifies you to work as a phlebotomist in Los Angeles; you also must pay a fee to the state of California for your license.
After securing work as a phlebotomist in Los Angeles, your certificate must be renewed every two years. To be eligible for renewal, you must have completed six hours of continuing medical education over the two licensure years. Your employer can help point you in the direction of these courses; in fact, if you work at a hospital, many host continuing medical education courses directly on site.
If you’re looking for a career in the medical field with solid job security and minimal training requirements, phlebotomy is a good choice, provided you are not bothered by the sight of blood. In addition, for those who want to further their education in the medical field, it may make sense to attain phlebotomy certification and work at a hospital while furthering your education.
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Veterinary Technology - Associates
- Respiratory Therapy
- Earn your Bachelor of Science of Healthcare Management degree online
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Program focuses on the business, management, and healthcare skills necessary for healthcare organizations to run smoothly
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
The lessons learned in your online courses can prepare you for whatever area of public health you’re interested in. Courses include the following:
- Public Health Biology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Health
- Health Policy
- Finance and Budget
- Health Informatics
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Public Health Law, Ethics and Policy Analysis
Our 100% onlineand CEPH-accredited MPH program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise — and your career — without having to put your life on hold.
- Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Do you want to start working toward a career that actually makes you excited? If so, an education from West Coast University (WCU) could be the perfect choice for you! This accredited, private University has a history that dates back over 100 years. Today, WCU offers health care degrees that will help prepare you and educate you on the current trends and issues within the health industry.
- MPH - Master of Public Health (Online)
Wilkes University’s School of Nursing offers CCNE-accredited online degrees and certificate programs ideal for working health care professionals, instructed by experienced, respected faculty dedicated to mentoring and personalized support for every student. Our nursing degrees offer the cutting-edge professional knowledge and skills needed in today’s dynamic, evolving health care industry.
- RN to BS
- RN to MS - Nursing Informatics
- M.S. with Major in Nursing - Nursing Informatics
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Public Administration Online