Louisiana is one of only two states in the U.S. that require anyone who is not a doctor, nurse or clinical lab scientist to be license for the purpose of drawing blood. This means that residents in Louisiana who want to pursue a career in phlebotomy will have to undergo the proper training to earn the certification and licensing necessary to perform phlebotomy related tasks in the state. This should not be viewed in a negative light but as advanced opportunity. There are numerous schools that offer phlebotomy training in Louisiana, allowing you to get your career in phlebotomy going in no time.
Besides allowing you to practice phlebotomy in the state of Louisiana, the training and certifications that you can earn by completing the appropriate phlebotomy training in the state of Louisiana also provides confirmation to perspective employers of your ability and competence in performing the job responsibilities of a phlebotomist.
Even if you were to decide to pursue a career outside of the state, the certification and training that you would undergo in Louisiana will demonstrate a certain level of expertise to your potential employers.
Phlebotomy Training in Louisiana
Because Louisiana requires licensing for its phlebotomists, there are numerous schools throughout the state that offer programs that train and certify future phlebotomists. The key is finding the right school for you. There are a number of variables that must be considered. At the top of the list is geographical location and access to financial aid.
When it comes to geographical location, close proximity to home is not always the ultimate criteria. Many times students will choose schools that are close to medical centers or a specific geographical location in which they aspire to work. Many schools develop relationships with medical institutions in which they will supply workers with expertise in certain areas. Attending such schools may increase your chances of obtaining employment immediately after completing your training and licensing requirements.
In other cases, some individuals do choose to attend a school close to home. They may already have a family or simply have a desire to be near a familiar environment. Because many of these schools will not have adequate housing situations, it may be in the best interest of some students to attend a school near home.
Requirements for Phlebotomy Training in Louisiana
Phlebotomy trainees will normally be required to compete a course that is a minimum of 10 weeks length in order to be certified for an entry-level phlebotomy position. Qualifications to successfully enroll in most phlebotomy programs include:
- Must have successfully completed high school
- The ability to pass a criminal background check
- Be current on all immunization requirements
Phlebotomy training programs are accredited through the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences and they subsequently lead to a certificate of completion once the student has successfully completed all of the course requirements.
Entry-level phlebotomist are not required to have any direct job experience. In most cases, job experience is obtained under the direct tutelage of a supervisor once they begin their first job. Students may choose to pursue an advance degree in the science of phlebotomy, if they so choose, creating more vast and lucrative opportunities for themselves.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
Blue Cliff College was founded in New Orleans, Louisiana in 1987 with the goal of becoming one of the most respected and innovative Massage Therapy training centers in the nation. In June of 1989, the College in Louisiana received its Proprietary School License from the state. In 1998, the Continuing Education College was proud to receive accreditation from the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC). The Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) is a recognized accrediting agency by the US Department of Education.
- Clinical Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Health Information Management, Billing and Coding - Diploma
Start your future now!
McCann School of Business & Technology (McCann) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you’ve completed your program, you’re truly ready to begin your career.
- Medical Assisting - Associate in Occupational Studies
- Medical Office Assistant - Diploma
- Medical Billing and Coding - Diploma
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Public Administration in Healthcare Policy & Ethics
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- MBA - Healthcare Management
Located in the heart of Washington, D.C., the Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University is dedicated to advancing the health of local, national and global communities. Established in 1997, the Milken Institute SPH brings together the fields of medicine, business and education to develop professionals with the skills and knowledge to tackle complex global health challenges.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree to be qualified for this school.
- Master of Public Health
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- Work in the fascinating and rewarding field of psychology - earn your bachelor's or master's degree online with Grand Canyon University.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences promotes research, creativity, ethical formation and inquiry through critical, analytical and interdisciplinary study.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's in psychology degrees combine academic theory with practical application.
- Gain a comprehensive study of human behavior within a Christian values-oriented environment designed to emphasize compassion and ethics.
- Join a values-based community surrounded by compassion, ethics and research on human behavior.
- Graduate Certificate of Completion in Mental Health and Wellness Emphasis in Community Health Administration
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
More Phlebotomy Classes in Louisiana
|Acadiana Area Career College||505 Loire Avenue Lafayette, LA 70507||http://www.aaccweb.com/phlebotomy.htm|
|Bossier Parish Community College||6220 East Texas Bossier City, LA 71111||http://www.bpcc.edu/phlebotomy/index.html|
|Cameron College||2740 Canal Street New Orleans, LA 70119||http://www.cameroncollege.com/programs/ADVANCED-PHLEBOTOMY-DIPLOMA-PROGRAM|
|Central Louisiana Medical Academy||3550 Government Street Alexandria, LA 71302-3322||http://www.cenlamed.com/cr-cpt.php|
|Central Louisiana Technical Community College||4311 South MacArthur Alexandria, LA 71302||http://www.cltc.edu/index.cfm?md=pagebuilder&tmp=home&pid=277|
|Crescent City Career Institute||429 Wall Blvd Gretna, LA 70056||http://www.crescentcitycoders.com/practice.html|
|Delgado Community College||City Park Campus-615 City Park Avenue New Orleans, LA 70199||http://www.dcc.edu/campus/cp/ahealth/phlebotomist/|
|Delgado Community College||West Bank Campus-2600 General Meyer Avenue New Orleans, LA 70114||http://www.dcc.edu/campus/cp/ahealth/phlebotomist/|
|Delta School of Business and Technology (Delta Tech)||517 Broad Street Lake Charles, LA 70601||http://www.deltatech.edu/Programs/Certificate-Programs/Phlebotomy-Technician|
|Fletcher Technical Community College||1407 Highway 311 Schriever, LA 70395||http://www.fletcher.edu/index.cfm?md=pagebuilder&tmp=home&pid=483|
|Louisiana Delta Community College||7500 Millhaven Road Monroe, LA 71203||http://www.ladelta.edu/academics/#/academics/in_Programs.asp?Prog=PatientCareTechnician/Phlebotomy|
|Louisiana State University at Alexandria||8100 Hwy 71 South Alexandria, LA 71302||http://cps.lsua.edu/departments/AlliedHealth/Degrees|
|Northwest Louisiana Technical College||Mansfield Campus-943 Oxford Road P.O. Box 1236 Mansfield, LA 71052||http://region7.ltc.edu/|
|Northwest Louisiana Technical College||Natchitoches Campus- 6587 Highway 1 Bypass P. O. Box 657 Natchitoches, LA 71457||http://www.nwltc.edu/index.cfm?md=pagebuilder&tmp=home&pid=495|
|Northwest Louisiana Technical College||Minden/Main Campus- 814 Constable Street P.O. Box 835 Minden, LA 71058-0835||http://www.nwltc.edu/index.cfm?md=pagebuilder&tmp=home&pid=495|
|Our Lady of the Lake Health Career Institute||7434 Perkins Road Baton Rouge, LA 70808||http://184.108.40.206/PTP.html|
|Rapides Regional Medical Center||211 Fourth St., Box 30101 Alexandria, LA 71301||http://rapidesregional.com/career-center/school-of-phlebotomy.dot#.UPyqg2H9GM1|
|Southern University at Shreveport||Martin Luther King Jr. Drive Shreveport, LA 71107||http://web.susla.edu/academics/Pages/Phlebotomy.aspx?panel=4|
|St. Agatha Career School||7078 Read Blvd. New Orleans, LA 70127||http://www.sacsla.com/Phlebotomy.html|
|Unitech Training Academy||Lake Charles Campus-2827 4th Avenue Lake Charles, LA 70601||http://www.unitechtrainingacademy.com/ekgphlebotomy-technician|
|Unitech Training Academy||Lafayette Campus-3605 Ambassador Caffery Pkwy. Lafayette, LA 70503||http://www.unitechtrainingacademy.com/ekgphlebotomy-technician|
|Unitech Training Academy||Hourna Campus-1227 Grand Caillou Road Houma, LA 70363||http://www.unitechtrainingacademy.com/ekgphlebotomy-technician|
|Unitech Training Academy||Alexandria Campus-7228 England Drive Building 1912 Alexandria, LA 71303||http://www.unitechtrainingacademy.com/ekgphlebotomy-technician|
|University of Louisiana at Lafayette||Continuing Education Center PO Box 42411 Lafayette, LA 70504||https://www.ce.louisiana.edu/wconnect/CourseStatus.awp?&course=PHLBW1301|