Louisiana is one of only two states in the U.S. that require anyone who is not a doctor, nurse or clinical lab scientist to be license for the purpose of drawing blood. This means that residents in Louisiana who want to pursue a career in phlebotomy will have to undergo the proper training to earn the certification and licensing necessary to perform phlebotomy related tasks in the state. This should not be viewed in a negative light but as advanced opportunity. There are numerous schools that offer phlebotomy training in Louisiana, allowing you to get your career in phlebotomy going in no time.
Besides allowing you to practice phlebotomy in the state of Louisiana, the training and certifications that you can earn by completing the appropriate phlebotomy training in the state of Louisiana also provides confirmation to perspective employers of your ability and competence in performing the job responsibilities of a phlebotomist.
Even if you were to decide to pursue a career outside of the state, the certification and training that you would undergo in Louisiana will demonstrate a certain level of expertise to your potential employers.
Phlebotomy Training in Louisiana
Because Louisiana requires licensing for its phlebotomists, there are numerous schools throughout the state that offer programs that train and certify future phlebotomists. The key is finding the right school for you. There are a number of variables that must be considered. At the top of the list is geographical location and access to financial aid.
When it comes to geographical location, close proximity to home is not always the ultimate criteria. Many times students will choose schools that are close to medical centers or a specific geographical location in which they aspire to work. Many schools develop relationships with medical institutions in which they will supply workers with expertise in certain areas. Attending such schools may increase your chances of obtaining employment immediately after completing your training and licensing requirements.
In other cases, some individuals do choose to attend a school close to home. They may already have a family or simply have a desire to be near a familiar environment. Because many of these schools will not have adequate housing situations, it may be in the best interest of some students to attend a school near home.
Requirements for Phlebotomy Training in Louisiana
Phlebotomy trainees will normally be required to compete a course that is a minimum of 10 weeks length in order to be certified for an entry-level phlebotomy position. Qualifications to successfully enroll in most phlebotomy programs include:
- Must have successfully completed high school
- The ability to pass a criminal background check
- Be current on all immunization requirements
Phlebotomy training programs are accredited through the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences and they subsequently lead to a certificate of completion once the student has successfully completed all of the course requirements.
Entry-level phlebotomist are not required to have any direct job experience. In most cases, job experience is obtained under the direct tutelage of a supervisor once they begin their first job. Students may choose to pursue an advance degree in the science of phlebotomy, if they so choose, creating more vast and lucrative opportunities for themselves.
- Apply At Fortis College Today! Explore the Career Programs.
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Assistant Technician (Associate in Specialized Technology Degree)
- And more...
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Earn your Bachelor of Science of Healthcare Management degree online
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Program focuses on the business, management, and healthcare skills necessary for healthcare organizations to run smoothly
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Management
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
Start your future now!
McCann School of Business & Technology (McCann) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you’ve completed your program, you’re truly ready to begin your career.
- Medical Assisting - Associate in Occupational Studies
- Medical Office Assistant - Diploma
Blue Cliff College was founded in New Orleans, Louisiana in 1987 with the goal of becoming one of the most respected and innovative Massage Therapy training centers in the nation. In June of 1989, the College in Louisiana received its Proprietary School License from the state. In 1998, the Continuing Education College was proud to receive accreditation from the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC). The Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) is a recognized accrediting agency by the US Department of Education.
- Clinical Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Dental Assistant - Diploma
- Health Information Management, Billing and Coding - Diploma
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Office Specialist
- Dental Assistant
- And more...
More Phlebotomy Classes in Louisiana
|Acadiana Area Career College||505 Loire Avenue Lafayette, LA 70507||http://www.aaccweb.com/phlebotomy.htm|
|Bossier Parish Community College||6220 East Texas Bossier City, LA 71111||http://www.bpcc.edu/phlebotomy/index.html|
|Cameron College||2740 Canal Street New Orleans, LA 70119||http://www.cameroncollege.com/programs/ADVANCED-PHLEBOTOMY-DIPLOMA-PROGRAM|
|Central Louisiana Medical Academy||3550 Government Street Alexandria, LA 71302-3322||http://www.cenlamed.com/cr-cpt.php|
|Central Louisiana Technical Community College||4311 South MacArthur Alexandria, LA 71302||http://www.cltc.edu/index.cfm?md=pagebuilder&tmp=home&pid=277|
|Crescent City Career Institute||429 Wall Blvd Gretna, LA 70056||http://www.crescentcitycoders.com/practice.html|
|Delgado Community College||City Park Campus-615 City Park Avenue New Orleans, LA 70199||http://www.dcc.edu/campus/cp/ahealth/phlebotomist/|
|Delgado Community College||West Bank Campus-2600 General Meyer Avenue New Orleans, LA 70114||http://www.dcc.edu/campus/cp/ahealth/phlebotomist/|
|Delta School of Business and Technology (Delta Tech)||517 Broad Street Lake Charles, LA 70601||http://www.deltatech.edu/Programs/Certificate-Programs/Phlebotomy-Technician|
|Fletcher Technical Community College||1407 Highway 311 Schriever, LA 70395||http://www.fletcher.edu/index.cfm?md=pagebuilder&tmp=home&pid=483|
|Louisiana Delta Community College||7500 Millhaven Road Monroe, LA 71203||http://www.ladelta.edu/academics/#/academics/in_Programs.asp?Prog=PatientCareTechnician/Phlebotomy|
|Louisiana State University at Alexandria||8100 Hwy 71 South Alexandria, LA 71302||http://cps.lsua.edu/departments/AlliedHealth/Degrees|
|Northwest Louisiana Technical College||Mansfield Campus-943 Oxford Road P.O. Box 1236 Mansfield, LA 71052||http://region7.ltc.edu/|
|Northwest Louisiana Technical College||Natchitoches Campus- 6587 Highway 1 Bypass P. O. Box 657 Natchitoches, LA 71457||http://www.nwltc.edu/index.cfm?md=pagebuilder&tmp=home&pid=495|
|Northwest Louisiana Technical College||Minden/Main Campus- 814 Constable Street P.O. Box 835 Minden, LA 71058-0835||http://www.nwltc.edu/index.cfm?md=pagebuilder&tmp=home&pid=495|
|Our Lady of the Lake Health Career Institute||7434 Perkins Road Baton Rouge, LA 70808||http://184.108.40.206/PTP.html|
|Rapides Regional Medical Center||211 Fourth St., Box 30101 Alexandria, LA 71301||http://rapidesregional.com/career-center/school-of-phlebotomy.dot#.UPyqg2H9GM1|
|Southern University at Shreveport||Martin Luther King Jr. Drive Shreveport, LA 71107||http://web.susla.edu/academics/Pages/Phlebotomy.aspx?panel=4|
|St. Agatha Career School||7078 Read Blvd. New Orleans, LA 70127||http://www.sacsla.com/Phlebotomy.html|
|Unitech Training Academy||Lake Charles Campus-2827 4th Avenue Lake Charles, LA 70601||http://www.unitechtrainingacademy.com/ekgphlebotomy-technician|
|Unitech Training Academy||Lafayette Campus-3605 Ambassador Caffery Pkwy. Lafayette, LA 70503||http://www.unitechtrainingacademy.com/ekgphlebotomy-technician|
|Unitech Training Academy||Hourna Campus-1227 Grand Caillou Road Houma, LA 70363||http://www.unitechtrainingacademy.com/ekgphlebotomy-technician|
|Unitech Training Academy||Alexandria Campus-7228 England Drive Building 1912 Alexandria, LA 71303||http://www.unitechtrainingacademy.com/ekgphlebotomy-technician|
|University of Louisiana at Lafayette||Continuing Education Center PO Box 42411 Lafayette, LA 70504||https://www.ce.louisiana.edu/wconnect/CourseStatus.awp?&course=PHLBW1301|