Prospective students who are interested in obtaining phlebotomy training in Maryland have many factors to consider. First, obtaining certification in phlebotomy is the initial step in obtaining employment in the field as well as earning a higher starting salary for the position. Phlebotomists can expect to find jobs in doctor’s offices, hospitals, labs, or clinics once they have earned certification.
Getting Accepted into a Phlebotomy Certification Maryland Program
While most certification or training programs do not have prerequisite classes, there are some basic requirements that students must meet before they can enroll. Students must have earned either a high school diploma or a GED to be considered for this type of medical program. Students must also pass a drug test and pass a criminal background check. Once these requirements are met, students are free to enroll.
Learning the Basics of Phlebotomy
Phlebotomy training in MD begins with class work. Before students are allowed to draw blood from patients, they must study the following topics: medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, infection control, and legal issues. Students must also learn about diseases and basic lab testing. Other topics of study include techniques of blood drawing, collection of specimen, and skin puncturing. This coursework must be successfully completed before students are allowed to begin the next portion of the phlebotomy training MD program.
Another integral part of any phlebotomy training in Maryland will be the hands-on practice that students need. During this phase of the certification program, students will practice drawing blood during training exercises. The initial training exercises do not involve human beings. Instead, students practice on artificial limbs to gain experience. Once students have gained enough practical experience, they will be allowed to draw blood from actual patients. Some phlebotomy training MD programs require students to complete internships in clinical settings to gain further experience.
Other Areas of Study
Students enrolled in phlebotomy training in MD will learn more than just medical basics and blood drawing techniques. Good phlebotomy programs prepare students to work in real world medical settings. Students will learn the importance of keeping accurate medical records on the job. Additionally, students will be taught to interact with patients. This training includes how to be empathetic and compassionate with patients.
Phlebotomy Training in Baltimore, MD
There are many options when it comes to phlebotomy training in Baltimore. Some programs are offered in an accelerated format and can be completed in just a matter of weeks. Other programs, especially when taken on a part-time basis, take longer to complete. Some schools even offer online phlebotomy programs for students who wish to learn in an online format.
Students who are considering phlebotomy training in Maryland should recognize the positive job outlook for this particular profession. Phlebotomists are always in demand. Once phlebotomy certification Maryland is earned, students can choose between part-time and full-time work in a variety of settings. The starting salary for a phlebotomist professional is high enough to make this job opportunity worthwhile for students interested in the medical field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Professional Medical Assistant
- Professional Medical Assistant Plus
- Dental Assistant
- And more...
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Billing & Coding Specialist
All-State Career - Healthcare Division is committed to providing quality training for students just like you. Financial aid is available for students who qualify. * Programs vary by location * Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assisting
- Pharmacy Technology
- Dental Assisting
- And more...
At YTI Career Institute, we are your beacon—brightening your future outlook and lighting your path to a rewarding career. As a YTI student, you’ll enjoy five advantages:
1. Industry-modeled training in Trades and Technical, Computers, Business, Medical, Culinary Arts or Criminal Justice.
2. Accelerated programs you can complete in as few as 9 months.
3. Energized, student-centered faculty who provide personalized instruction.
4. Financial Aid assistance for those who qualify.
5. Career Services assistance through your Career Services Specialist.
- Medical Assistant
- Pharmacy Technician - Diploma
- Dental Assisting - Diploma
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Public Administration in Healthcare Policy & Ethics
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Earn your Bachelor of Science of Healthcare Management degree online
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Program focuses on the business, management, and healthcare skills necessary for healthcare organizations to run smoothly
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
More Phlebotomy Classes in Maryland
|Allegany College of Maryland||Cumberland Campus-12401 Willowbrook Road Cumberland, MD 21502||http://www.allegany.edu/x268.xml|
|Allied Health, LLC||2500 N. Rolling Road Windsor Mill, MD 21244 Suite 202||http://www.bahtc.com/APA%20Registration%20List.html|
|Anne Arundel Community College||101 College Parkway Arnold, MD 21012-1895||http://www.aacc.edu/medicalassisting/mda_phlebotomy.cfm|
|Carroll Community College||1601 Washington Road Westminster, MD 21157||http://www.carrollcc.edu/courses/noncredit/career/Certificate%20Programs/phlebotomytech.asp|
|Chesapeake College||P.O. Box 8 Wye Mills, MD 21679||http://www.chesapeake.edu/alliedhealth/phlebotomy/|
|College of Southern Maryland||8730 Mitchell Road PO Box 910 La Plata, MD 20646-0910||http://www.csmd.edu/CareerStarters/PhlebotomyTech.html|
|Fortis College||4351 Garden City Drive Landover, MD 20785||http://www.fortis.edu/continue-education/phlebotomy-certification/4351-garden-city-drive-landover-md.aspx|
|Frederick Community College||7932 Opposumtown Pike Frederick, MD 21702||http://www.frederick.edu/courses_and_programs/ce_alliedhealth.aspx#|
|Hagerstown Community College||11400 Robinwood Drive Hagerstown, MD 21742||http://www.hagerstowncc.edu/academics/programs/phlebotomy|
|Harford Community College||401 Thomas Run Road Bel Air, MD||http://www.harford.edu/Schedule/U_noncrweb.asp?FA=ContEd&SelectionType=4&GroupChoice=PB|
|Kaplan University||18618 Crestwood Drive Hagerstown, MD 21742||http://www.kaplanuniversity.edu/health-sciences/phlebotomist-certifiate.aspx|
|Montgomery College||Takoma Park/ Silver Spring Campus Health Sciences Institute 7977 Georgia Avenue Silver Spring, MD 20910||http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/wdce/hsi/entrylevel.html|
|Prince George’s Community College||301 Largo Road Largo, MD 20774-2199||http://www.pgcc.edu/Programs_and_Courses/Noncredit/Noncredit_Program_Detail.aspx?id=6442462795|
|Stein Academy||600 Reisterstown Rd Baltimore, MD 21208||http://steinacademy.com/ind_pag.php?id=22|
|Wor-Wic Community College||32000 Campus Drive Salisbury, MD 21804||http://www.worwic.edu/Search.aspx?Query=phlebotomy|
|Doctor’s Help||Southern MD-Gateway East Medical Building-6188 Oxon Hill Road National Harbor, MD 20745||http://doctorshelp.org/Workshop_Training.html|
|Doctor’s Help||Baltimore- Saint Agnes Hospital Medical Center-3455 Wilkens Ave Baltimore, MD 21229||http://doctorshelp.org/Workshop_Training.html|