Prospective students who are interested in obtaining phlebotomy training in Maryland have many factors to consider. First, obtaining certification in phlebotomy is the initial step in obtaining employment in the field as well as earning a higher starting salary for the position. Phlebotomists can expect to find jobs in doctor’s offices, hospitals, labs, or clinics once they have earned certification.
Getting Accepted into a Phlebotomy Certification Maryland Program
While most certification or training programs do not have prerequisite classes, there are some basic requirements that students must meet before they can enroll. Students must have earned either a high school diploma or a GED to be considered for this type of medical program. Students must also pass a drug test and pass a criminal background check. Once these requirements are met, students are free to enroll.
Learning the Basics of Phlebotomy
Phlebotomy training in MD begins with class work. Before students are allowed to draw blood from patients, they must study the following topics: medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, infection control, and legal issues. Students must also learn about diseases and basic lab testing. Other topics of study include techniques of blood drawing, collection of specimen, and skin puncturing. This coursework must be successfully completed before students are allowed to begin the next portion of the phlebotomy training MD program.
Another integral part of any phlebotomy training in Maryland will be the hands-on practice that students need. During this phase of the certification program, students will practice drawing blood during training exercises. The initial training exercises do not involve human beings. Instead, students practice on artificial limbs to gain experience. Once students have gained enough practical experience, they will be allowed to draw blood from actual patients. Some phlebotomy training MD programs require students to complete internships in clinical settings to gain further experience.
Other Areas of Study
Students enrolled in phlebotomy training in MD will learn more than just medical basics and blood drawing techniques. Good phlebotomy programs prepare students to work in real world medical settings. Students will learn the importance of keeping accurate medical records on the job. Additionally, students will be taught to interact with patients. This training includes how to be empathetic and compassionate with patients.
Phlebotomy Training in Baltimore, MD
There are many options when it comes to phlebotomy training in Baltimore. Some programs are offered in an accelerated format and can be completed in just a matter of weeks. Other programs, especially when taken on a part-time basis, take longer to complete. Some schools even offer online phlebotomy programs for students who wish to learn in an online format.
Students who are considering phlebotomy training in Maryland should recognize the positive job outlook for this particular profession. Phlebotomists are always in demand. Once phlebotomy certification Maryland is earned, students can choose between part-time and full-time work in a variety of settings. The starting salary for a phlebotomist professional is high enough to make this job opportunity worthwhile for students interested in the medical field.
- Fortis Medical Assistant Program
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Assistant Technician (Associate in Specialized Technology Degree)
- And more...
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
All-State Career - Healthcare Division is committed to providing quality training for students just like you. Financial aid is available for students who qualify. * Programs vary by location * Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assisting
- Dental Assisting
- Expanded Functions Dental Assisting
- And more...
- Professional Medical Assistant
- Professional Medical Assistant Plus
- Dental Assistant
- And more...
At YTI Career Institute, we are your beacon—brightening your future outlook and lighting your path to a rewarding career. As a YTI student, you’ll enjoy five advantages:
1. Industry-modeled training in Trades and Technical, Computers, Business, Medical, Culinary Arts or Criminal Justice.
2. Accelerated programs you can complete in as few as 9 months.
3. Energized, student-centered faculty who provide personalized instruction.
4. Financial Aid assistance for those who qualify.
5. Career Services assistance through your Career Services Specialist.
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assisting - Diploma
- Pharmacy Technician - Diploma
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Billing & Coding Specialist
More Phlebotomy Classes in Maryland
|Allegany College of Maryland||Cumberland Campus-12401 Willowbrook Road Cumberland, MD 21502||http://www.allegany.edu/x268.xml|
|Allied Health, LLC||2500 N. Rolling Road Windsor Mill, MD 21244 Suite 202||http://www.bahtc.com/APA%20Registration%20List.html|
|Anne Arundel Community College||101 College Parkway Arnold, MD 21012-1895||http://www.aacc.edu/medicalassisting/mda_phlebotomy.cfm|
|Carroll Community College||1601 Washington Road Westminster, MD 21157||http://www.carrollcc.edu/courses/noncredit/career/Certificate%20Programs/phlebotomytech.asp|
|Chesapeake College||P.O. Box 8 Wye Mills, MD 21679||http://www.chesapeake.edu/alliedhealth/phlebotomy/|
|College of Southern Maryland||8730 Mitchell Road PO Box 910 La Plata, MD 20646-0910||http://www.csmd.edu/CareerStarters/PhlebotomyTech.html|
|Fortis College||4351 Garden City Drive Landover, MD 20785||http://www.fortis.edu/continue-education/phlebotomy-certification/4351-garden-city-drive-landover-md.aspx|
|Frederick Community College||7932 Opposumtown Pike Frederick, MD 21702||http://www.frederick.edu/courses_and_programs/ce_alliedhealth.aspx#|
|Hagerstown Community College||11400 Robinwood Drive Hagerstown, MD 21742||http://www.hagerstowncc.edu/academics/programs/phlebotomy|
|Harford Community College||401 Thomas Run Road Bel Air, MD||http://www.harford.edu/Schedule/U_noncrweb.asp?FA=ContEd&SelectionType=4&GroupChoice=PB|
|Kaplan University||18618 Crestwood Drive Hagerstown, MD 21742||http://www.kaplanuniversity.edu/health-sciences/phlebotomist-certifiate.aspx|
|Montgomery College||Takoma Park/ Silver Spring Campus Health Sciences Institute 7977 Georgia Avenue Silver Spring, MD 20910||http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/wdce/hsi/entrylevel.html|
|Prince George’s Community College||301 Largo Road Largo, MD 20774-2199||http://www.pgcc.edu/Programs_and_Courses/Noncredit/Noncredit_Program_Detail.aspx?id=6442462795|
|Stein Academy||600 Reisterstown Rd Baltimore, MD 21208||http://steinacademy.com/ind_pag.php?id=22|
|Wor-Wic Community College||32000 Campus Drive Salisbury, MD 21804||http://www.worwic.edu/Search.aspx?Query=phlebotomy|
|Doctor’s Help||Southern MD-Gateway East Medical Building-6188 Oxon Hill Road National Harbor, MD 20745||http://doctorshelp.org/Workshop_Training.html|
|Doctor’s Help||Baltimore- Saint Agnes Hospital Medical Center-3455 Wilkens Ave Baltimore, MD 21229||http://doctorshelp.org/Workshop_Training.html|