The phlebotomist’s work consists of drawing blood from patients in order to test it, as well as for donations; in a hospital setting, a phlebotomist may perform transfusions as a part of their duties. Phlebotomists do not analyze the blood they draw nor do they administer injections. Since they may be called upon to explain the blood-drawing procedure to their patients, the job requires a phlebotomist to possess good interpersonal skills. Phlebotomists should be prepared to work in stressful, high-pressure conditions. They may work in various types of medical facilities including hospitals, doctors’ offices or in independent laboratories. Their patients can range in age from infants to senior citizens.
Working as a Phlebotomist in Massachussetts
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are 2,800 phlebotomists working in the state of Massachusetts and the median average wage for this job is $36,000. While there is presently no law that requires phlebotomy certification in Massachusetts, it is still a good idea for an individual to get properly trained and certified. A bill requiring such licensing has been introduced and should licensure become a requirement, certification will be an important factor in the phlebotomist’s ability to find work.
What Phlebotomists Do
The most common method of drawing blood is called “venipuncture.” Venipuncture involves using a needle to find the patient’s vein in order to collect blood. This is one of the main skills of the phlebotomist.• Correctly identify a patient before drawing blood
• Draw the correct amount of blood using venipuncture and other techniques
• Correctly label the specimens they collect
• Effectively communicate with patients as well as with their coworkers
• Use a computer to keep phlebotomy-related records
• Adhere to OSHA regulations
Phlebotomists must be able to understand medical terminology such as instructions from a doctor on how much blood to draw and the type of vial they must use. Most phlebotomy courses will offer students the option of taking a national examination to become certified. Some phlebotomy programs include training on how to use an EKG machine.
Phlebotomy Training in Massachusetts
A phlebotomy training course will include both classroom and clinical sessions. The clinical part of the course will include training on how to draw blood using mannequins, fellow students or actual patients. There are many training programs open to those who wish to become phlebotomists. Prerequisites for a Massachusetts phlebotomy course are typically:• That they be at least 18 years old
• A diploma from a high school or a GED
• A clean background record
• Good English speaking skills
• The ability to write at an 8th grade level
• The ability to pass a health exam
• An understanding of basic computer applications
A typical phlebotomy training course will consist of topics such as:
• Anatomy related to the body’s circulatory system
• Patient safety and confidentiality regarding patient information
• Safety procedures related to blood borne pathogens
• Venipuncture and the complications that may arise from the procedure
• Control of infection
• Interaction with patients
• How to process specimens
In addition to providing valuable training for phlebotomists, a phlebotomy training course is helpful for those who are already in other medical professions; for example, phlebotomy is a requirement for nurses and nursing aides.
- Encompasses the Lincoln Tech, Lincoln Culinary Institute, and Lincoln College of New England brands.
- Lincoln schools made more than $15 million available nationally through scholarships to qualified students in 2015.
- Designated a Military Friendly School for the 6th year in a row by Victory Media; offers exclusive scholarship for servicemen and women and their families.
- First Lincoln Tech campus opened in 1946; now 30 campuses in 15 states across the United States.
- Campuses are accredited by the ACICS, ACCSC, ABHES, and NEASC
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant
- Certificate - Medical Assisting
- Medical Billing and Coding
At Porter and Chester Institute, we’re serious about preparing you for career success. By completing one of our Automotive, Computer, Healthcare, or Trades programs, you’ll enjoy five advantages during your job search:
1. You gain knowledge and skills employers want you to know.
2. You learn from instructors who’ve worked in the field.
3. You learn by doing through hands-on instruction.
4. You develop personal skills and habits to become more employable.
5. You enhance your job interview skills and résumé.
- Medical Assisting
- Dental Assisting
- Medical Billing and Coding
Earn your degree from Lincoln College of New England. Over 30 undergraduate programs are available in Health Sciences, Business, Communications, Hospitality, and more. Financial aid is available for those who qualify
- Dental Chairside Assistant, Certificate
- Health Information Coding, Certificate
New England Institute of Technology is a private, non-profit, co-educational technical university offering over 50 Associate in Science, Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degree programs. As a leader in technical career education in southern New England, New England Institute of Technology (also known as New England Tech or NEIT) is committed to providing hands-on technological programs that prepare graduates for positions of leadership in the technical, industrial, business, and allied health communities. Most of our associate degree programs can be completed in as little as 18 months, and bachelor’s degree programs in as little as three years. Last year, over 3,000 students chose New England Tech for the hands-on laboratory and classroom training that provides the necessary skills to begin their technical careers.
- AS - Veterinary Technology
- AS - Animal and Veterinary Management
- AS - Physical Therapist Assistant
- And more...
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Master of Public Health
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
More Phlebotomy Classes in Massachusetts
|American Red Cross||2000 Century Drive Worcester, MA 01606||http://www.redcross.org/ma/worcester/take-a-class/health-care-training/phlebotomy-ekg-training|
|Bunker Hill Community College||250 New Rutherford Avenue Boston, MA 02129-2925||http://www.bhcc.mass.edu/inside/89?programID=46&year=2005|
|Coastal Career Academy||288 Plymouth Ave Fall River, MA 02721||http://www.coastalcareeracademy.com/Courses-Offered.html|
|Health Care Training Services||657 Quarry Street Fall River, MA 02723||http://www.hctschool.com/course_PhlebotomyTechnician.html|
|MassBay Community College||19 Flagg Drive Framingham, MA 01702-5928||http://www.massbay.edu/Academics/Health-Sciences/Degree---Certificate-Programs.aspx|
|Medical Professional Institute||380 Pleasant Street Malden, MA 02148||http://mpi.edu/programs/phlebotomy-ekg-program/|
|Middlesex Community College||Lowell Campus- 33 Kearney Square Lowell, MA 01852||http://catalog.middlesex.mass.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=4&poid=364&returnto=317|
|Mount Wachusett Community College||444 Green Street Gardner, MA 01440||http://mwcc.edu/catalog/degrees-certificates/phlebotomy-certificate-of-completion-plb/|
|North Shore Technical College||30 Log Bridge Road Middleton, MA 01940||http://www.nsths.net/adulted/index.php?option=com_redevent&view=details&id=23%3Aphlebotomist-training&xref=24|
|Norhtheast Metropolitan Community Education||100 Hemlock Road Wakefield, MA 01880||http://www.neadulted.com/registration/online-registration/event/288/Phlebotomy-Training---Thursdays.html|
|Phlebotomy and EKG Training Program||38 11th Avenue Haverhill, MA 01830||http://keystrokestudios.com/www.phlebekg.com/About.html|
|Quincy College||1250 Hancock Street Quincy Center, MA 02169||http://quincycollege.edu/index.php/academic-divisions/natural_health_sciences/#trig6|
|South Coast Training LLC.||69 Main Street Fairhaven, MA 02719||http://www.southcoasttraining.com/Forms.aspx|
|Springfield Technical Community College||One Armory Square Suite 16/131 Springfield, MA 01102-9000||http://www.stcc.edu/wd/descriptions/zall-008.asp|
|Northeast Technical Institute||Haverhill Campus-191 Merrimack Street Suite 201 Haverhill, MA 01830||http://www.nti-school-info.com/phlebotomy-ekg.html|
|Northeast Technical Institute||Methuen Campus- 55 Hampshire Road Methuen, MA 01844||http://www.nti-school-info.com/phlebotomy-ekg.html|
|Northern Essex Community College||Haverhill Campus- 100 Elliott Street Haverhill, MA 01830||http://www.necc.mass.edu/academics/courses-programs/areas/health/phlebotomy/|
|Northern Essex Community College||Lawrence Campus- 45 Franklin Street and 52 Franklin Street Lawrence, MA 01840||http://www.necc.mass.edu/academics/courses-programs/areas/health/phlebotomy/|
|Northern Essex Community College||Riverwalk Campus- 360 Merrimack Street Lawrence, MA 01843||http://www.necc.mass.edu/academics/courses-programs/areas/health/phlebotomy/|
|Health Training Center||Attleboro Campus- 451 Elm Street North Attleboro, MA 02760||http://www.healthtrainingcenter.com/program-descriptions|
|Health Training Center||Cambridge Campus- 358 Broadway Cambridge, MA 02139||http://www.healthtrainingcenter.com/program-descriptions|
|Health Training Center||Chelmsford Campus- 296 Chelmsford Street Chelmsford, MA 01824||http://www.healthtrainingcenter.com/program-descriptions|
|Health Training Center||Framingham Campus- 1671 Worcester Rd Framingham, MA 01701||http://www.healthtrainingcenter.com/program-descriptions|
|Massasoit Community College||Brockton Campus-One Massasoit Blvd. Brockton, MA 02302||http://www.massasoit.mass.edu/acad_depts/certs/phlebot_ih.cfm|
|Massasoit Community College||Canton Campus-900 Randolph Street Canton, MA 02021-1372||http://www.massasoit.mass.edu/acad_depts/certs/phlebot_ih.cfm|