A career in the healing arts does not necessarily means having to go to medical school because not every health care career requires a degree. In fact, some of the fastest growing and best paying jobs in medicine require only a bachelor’s or associate’s degree, or even less. Those interested in health care as a career, but can’t make it all the way through medical school need to consider the full spectrum of occupational alternatives available to them. Many interesting jobs with varying educational requirements do exist in today’s medical services industry. One of these careers concerns Phlebotomy – the drawing of blood for use in lab testing.
Phlebotomy is the process of drawing blood from a human by making a vascular incision with a needle. The actual procedure which is performed by a Phlebotomist is known as a venipuncture. Since the discovery of the human immunodeficiency virus (HIVAIDs) in the 1980’s, the medical community has ordained strict new policies governing the handling of human blood. Today, every hospital and medical center in the nation has policies and procedures that dictate how human blood and the sharp instruments and materials that draw and contain it are dealt with. Healthcare technicians interested in specializing in phlebotomy prepare for certification by taking hands-on training from instructors qualified to train students in this area. Upon completion of training, graduates become certified Phlebotomy Technicians and are eligible for employment in the field.
Phlebotomy Certification in New Jersey
The main objective for the state in certifying candidates is to make sure that they have a good understanding of infection control and sterilization procedures. Phlebotomists must be trained according to current hospital or treatment center processes and environments. Their daily functions may include performing diagnostic procedures and accurately assessing results. Phlebotomists are required to demonstrate a good bedside manner and should be skilled at making patients feel comfortable in the treatment environment. Certification in the state of New Jersey consists of an introduction to the theory of the art along with laboratory time in connection with specimen collection, processing and storage. Further study includes proficiency at laboratory safety, understanding human anatomy and physiology, and the study of the legal responsibilities of the phlebotomist.
Most Phlebotomy Technicians are eventually employed in hospitals. Some find their way into private clinics, the pathology departments of research labs, and some go to work in nursing homes. The outlook for the field of phlebotomy is promising. Job growth is expected to expand further owning to an aging population and a federal government that has put health care issues on the vanguard of its domestic policy agenda.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Further Your Career with a Billing and Coding Diploma from Fortis!
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Assistant Technician (Associate in Specialized Technology Degree)
- And more...
- Earn your Bachelor of Science of Healthcare Management degree online
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Program focuses on the business, management, and healthcare skills necessary for healthcare organizations to run smoothly
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
- Medical Assistant (Diploma)
- Medical Administrative Assistant (Diploma)
- Pharmacy Technician (Diploma)
- And more...
The Berkeley Advantage®is part of a proven approach to career-focused education that can help students prepare for success.
- AAS in Medical Assistant
- Certificate in Medical Assistant
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assisting
- Medical Billing and Coding
- Professional Medical Assistant
- Professional Medical Assistant Plus
- Dental Assistant
- And more...
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Office Assistant
More Phlebotomy Classes in New Jersey
|Warren County Community College||475 Route 57 West, Washington, NJ 07882||http://www.warren.edu/certified-phlebotomy-technician/|
|University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey||65 Bergen Street, Newark, NJ 07107||http://shrp.umdnj.edu/dept/CLS/phlebotomy/|
|Sussex County Community College||One College Hill Road, Newton, NJ 07860||http://sussex.edu/academics/healthsciences/programs/phlebotomy-technician|
|Salem County Educational Technology Training Center||Route 45, Woodstown, NJ 08098||http://www.salemettc.org/site/?page_id=327|
|Rutgers School of Health Related Professions||Newark, NJ||http://shp.rutgers.edu/|
|Ocean County College||College Drive, Toms River, NJ 08754||http://www.ocean.edu/conted/cont_and_prof_ed/Phlebotomy.htm|
|New Jersey Institute of Allied Health||333 North Broad Street, Elizabeth, NJ 07208||http://njiah.com/New_Jersey_Institute_of_Allied_Health/Programs.html|
|NJ Phlebotomy||113 Dewitt Street, Garfield, NJ 07026||http://www.njphlebotomyassociation.com/Home.html|
|Moe Shea Corporation||Three 3rd Street, Bordentown, NJ 08505||http://moeshea.com/courses.php?courseid=1662|
|The Institute for Health Education||600 Pavonia Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07306||http://www.ihe.edu/Phlebotomy/|
|Healthcare Training Institute||1969 Morris Avenue, Union, NJ 07083||http://www.htinj.edu/ekg_phlebotomy_technician.html|
|Brookdale Community College||765 Newman Springs Road, Lincroft, NJ 07738||http://www.brookdalecc.edu/pages/939.asp|
|Bloomfield College||467 Franklin Street, Bloomfield, NJ 07003||http://itps.bloomfield.edu/site/?GO=Course_Descriptions&G1=NEW_COURSES_FOR_SPRING_2012|
|Best Care Training Institute||68 South Harrison Street, East Orange, NJ 07017||http://www.bestcarehealth.com/page80aa.html|
|AMG Medical Institute||175 Market Street, Paterson, NJ 07505||http://amgmedicalinstitute.net/|
|American Institute of Medical Sciences & Education||4500 New Brunswick Avenue, Piscataway, NJ 08854||http://www.aimseducation.calls.net/ekg-phlebotomy-technician|
|Advantage Career Institute||2 Meridian Road, Eatontown, NJ 07724||http://www.advantagecareerinstitute.com/programs/phlebotomy-technician/|
|Branford Institute||570 North Broad Street, Elizabeth, NJ 07208||http://www.branfordinstitute.org/18.html|
|Branford Institute||302 Main Street, Paterson, NJ 07505||http://www.branfordinstitute.org/18.html|
|AVTECH Institute of Technology||50 Cragwood Road, South Plainfield, NJ 07080||http://www.avtechusa.com/avsitev2/cpt.html|
|AVTECH Institute of Technology||130 Clinton Road, Fairfield, NJ 07704||http://www.avtechusa.com/avsitev2/cpt.html|
|AVTECH Institute of Technology||613 Hope Road, Eatontown, NJ 07724||http://www.avtechusa.com/avsitev2/cpt.html|