In order to receive phlebotomy certification in New York, a person needs to complete a course of training duly certified by the state. Before a person desiring phlebotomy certification can commence such a program, he or she must have a high school diploma or a GED. No other prior experience or education is required to undertake a phlebotomy training program in the state.
Phlebotomy training in New York is available through a number of different organizations and institutions. Examples of these include schools within the CUNY system and private institutions of higher education. In the American Red Cross offers a preliminary training program sufficient to permit a person the ability to obtain appropriate certification to enter into the field of phlebotomy.
Phlebotomy Licensing Versus Certification in New York
Although the state of New York must approve a particular school’s or organization’s phlebotomy training curriculum, the state itself does not license phlebotomists. Rather, a phlebotomist is certified upon completing of an approved course of study offered in the state of New York.
Job Duties of a Phlebotomist
Despite not directly licensing phlebotomists working in the state of New York, the state government does specifically delineate the work that a phlebotomist can undertake. Specifically, a phlebotomist working in New York, after obtaining an appropriate certification to do so, is legally permitted to draw blood and collect urine samples from individuals. These samples are collected for further testing.
A New York phlebotomist cannot perform any tests on any collected samples. After drawing a sample, he or she ensures the container containing a sample is both properly sealed and labeled. Following that process, a phlebotomist submits a sample for transmission to a laboratory.A phlebotomist can provide basic information about the purpose for a particular blood draw. However, a phlebotomist is not permitted to provide any information about test results or any similar type of information to a patient or other individual who submits to a blood draw (or the collection of a urine sample).
Course of Study for Phlebotomy Certification in New York
Although different programs may vary their curriculum slightly, some general areas of study are a part of any phlebotomy training program in New York. At the heart of any training program is instruction and hand-on experience in preparing an individual for venipuncture (or the drawing of blood for a person’s vein). This includes the physical assessment of the individual, palpitation of veins and the actual act of venipuncture and the withdrawal of blood.
Once the fundamentals are learned by a person in a phlebotomy training program in New York, a portion of the training experience involves actual hands-on work with patients. This typically is done in a clinical setting through an externship type of program.
The course of study for phlebotomy certification in New York does not require a long term commitment on the part of a person in training. Some basic courses can be completed in a matter of weeks, while more extensive training programs can take several months.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Billing and Coding
- Clinical Medical Assistant-CERT
- Medical Assistant-AS
- Medical Office Assistant-CERT
- And more...
- Patient Care Technician Level 1
- Professional Medical Assistant
- Certified Nurses Aide
Take the fast track to your future at Elmira Business Institute!
Learn how you can get the training you need to begin a rewarding career in a field of high-demand. Complete and submit the form and one of our Admissions Representatives will be in touch soon to tell you more.
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Coding & Reimbursement Specialist
- Medical Coding & Billing
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assisting
- Practical Nursing
Over 450 Long Island companies have hired our graduates in the past year.
Hunter Business School was founded in 1972 for the purpose of providing quality career training through intensive and innovative programs. Hunter Business School’s mission is to provide students with the opportunity to receive a high quality education for the career best suited to their ability, interest and ambition. We are an educational environment characterized by high expectations and staffed by professionals who are knowledgeable, compassionate, creative, supportive and effective.
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Billing Specialist
New England Institute of Technology is a private, non-profit, co-educational technical university offering over 50 Associate in Science, Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degree programs. As a leader in technical career education in southern New England, New England Institute of Technology (also known as New England Tech or NEIT) is committed to providing hands-on technological programs that prepare graduates for positions of leadership in the technical, industrial, business, and allied health communities. Most of our associate degree programs can be completed in as little as 18 months, and bachelor’s degree programs in as little as three years. Last year, over 3,000 students chose New England Tech for the hands-on laboratory and classroom training that provides the necessary skills to begin their technical careers.
- AS - Animal and Veterinary Management
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
More Phlebotomy Classes in New York
|ABC Training Center||2471 Morris Avenue, Bronx, NY 10468||http://abctrainingcenter.net/ekgphlebotomy-tech-patient-care-tech-physical-therapy-aide/|
|American Red Cross||2082 White Plains Rd, Bronx, NY 10462||http://www.nyredcross.org/?nd=phlebotomy_technician_course|
|American Red Cross||520 W 49th Street, New York, NY 10019||http://www.nyredcross.org/?nd=phlebotomy_technician_course|
|American Red Cross||13802 Queens Blvd, Jamaica, NY 11435||http://www.nyredcross.org/?nd=phlebotomy_technician_course|
|American Red Cross||1424 Richmond Ave, Staten Island, NY||http://www.nyredcross.org/?nd=phlebotomy_technician_course|
|Big Apple Training||4653 White Plains Road, Bronx, NY 10470||http://www.bigappletrainingonline.net/pet.php|
|Broome Community College||PO Box 1017, Binghamton, NY 13902||https://mycollege.sunybroome.edu/web/www/phlebotomy|
|CUNY Borough of Manhattan Community College||199 Chambers Street, N742, New York, NY 10007||http://bmcc.augusoft.net/index.cfm?fuseaction=1010|
|Dutchess Community College||53 Pendell Road, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601||http://www.sunydutchess.edu/academics/departments/alliedhealthandbiologicalsciences/alliedhealthandbiologicalsciencesprograms/phlebotomistcertificate.html|
|Hostos Community College||500 Grand Concourse, Bronx, NY 10451||http://www.hostos.cuny.edu/contedu/medical/phleb.html|
|LaGuardia Community College||31-10 Thomson Avenue, Long Island City, NY 11101||http://www.lagcc.cuny.edu/ace/descriptionTaxonomy.aspx?subprogramContentId=19327354690&courseContentId=19327355419&taxonomyId=19327365397|
|The Manhattan Institute||255 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016||http://www.manhattaninstitute.com/class-1-phlebotomy_technician.html|
|New York Medical Career Training Center||36-09 Main Street 5th Floor, Flushing, NY 11354||http://www.nymedtraining.com/phlebotomy_technician.php|
|Niagara County Community College||3111 Saunders Settlement Rd., Sanborn, NY 14132||http://catalog.niagaracc.suny.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=7&poid=339&returnto=169|
|Noyes Health||111 Clara Barton Street, Dansville, NY 14437||http://www.noyes-health.org/community-services/wellness-and-education-programs/phlebotomy-training|
|Stony Brook University||100 Nicolls Road, Stony Brook, NY 11794||http://healthtechnology.stonybrookmedicine.edu/programs/clinical/about/ptp|
|SUNY Jefferson Community College||1220 Coffeen Street, Watertown, NY 13601||http://www.sunyjefferson.edu/academics/programs-study/professional-certifications|
|SUNY Orange County Community College||115 South Street, Middletown, NY 10940||http://www.sunyorange.edu/labtech/phlebotomy/index.shtml|
|SUNY Rockland Community College||145 College Road, Suffern, NY 10901||http://www.sunyrockland.edu/|
|Westchester Community College||75 Grasslands Road, Valhalla, NY 10595||http://www.sunywcc.edu/continuing_ed/courses/healthcare.htm|
|York College||94-20 Guy R. Brewer Blvd., Jamaica, NY 11451||http://www.york.cuny.edu/conted/certprograms/phlebotomy?searchterm=phlebotomy|
|Micropower Career Institute||137 West 25th Street, New York, NY 10001||http://www.mpow.com/m/career-options/phlebotomy/|
|Micropower Career Institute||85 Wills Avenue, Mineola, NY 11501||http://www.mpow.com/m/career-options/phlebotomy/|
|Micropower Career Institute||75-25 Broadway, Elmhurst, NY 11373||http://www.mpow.com/m/career-options/phlebotomy/|
|Micropower Career Institute||120 Commerce Drive, Hauppauge, NY 11788||http://www.mpow.com/m/career-options/phlebotomy/|
|ACE Computer Training Center||312 W 36th St., New York, NY 10018||http://acecareer.edu/PhlebotomyTechnician.aspx|
|ACE Computer Training Center||109-19 72nd Rd., Forest Hills, NY 11375||http://acecareer.edu/PhlebotomyTechnician.aspx|