The literal translation of phlebotomy is “to cut a vein”. Actually, the process of phlebotomy involves making an incision in the vein for extracting or drawing blood and the process of extracting blood is known as venipuncture. The samples are then used for diagnosing various illnesses to identify various diseases or health problems. The person who is performing the phlebotomy is known as phlebotomist.
Overview of Phlebotomy Training in Oklahoma
It is well known that doctors can make incision in the vein and draw blood without any assistance. In fact, it is a part of their training. However, this is a specialized field known as phlebotomy. The person acquiring skills is known as a phlebotomist, who in addition to learning to make the incision and drawing blood also has to learn the skills for handling patients.
- In-Class Training – This training period lasts for half to a full years and the student needs at least 40 credit hours to complete the training. The syllabus includes introduction to phlebotomy, how to control risk of infection, how to prepare the patient, venipuncture, after procedure care and caring and handling the specimen. In short, the student is equipped with theoretical knowledge.
- Practical, Hands-On Training – This part of the training includes internship in a clinical setting under supervision, completing the required number of venipuncture and completing 40 hours of internship in a hospital or any other clinical setting.
Each of the programs has specific requirements that should be completed before certification is awarded to the student.
Outlook for Phlebotomy Training in Oklahoma Jobs including Average Salary Information
There are numerous phlebotomy jobs available for the trained phlebotomist. These include trainee positions to a position as a fully qualified phlebotomist. Average salary for a trained phlebotomist is approximately $29,000 per annum, which may vary according to your training and the place where you are located.
If you are planning to train as a phlebotomist, then it is best that you research the subject thoroughly. You should also be able to be pick up blood samples and draw blood when needed.
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Medical Assisting A.A.S.
- Medical Administrative Assistant A.A.S.
WTI's success and longevity is due to its commitment in providing its students with the latest information and technology. It does so by continually upgrading its curriculum, lab instruction and instrumentation, and by collaborating with professionals to keep apprised of industry developments.
- Medical Assistant
- Pharmacy Technician
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assisting Online
- Medical Billing and Coding Online
- Veterinary Assistant
- Medical Billing Specialist
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
Pursue your education with Platt College (Oklahoma). We offer hands-on training programs in the culinary arts, allied health, and nursing fields.
*Programs vary by location.
*High school diploma or GED required.
*Licensed by OBPVS.
- Medical Assistant/Phlebotomy
- Dental Assistant
- Practical Nursing-(AOS) [LPN]
- Associate’s, Bachelor’s, and Master’s degrees available in a wide range of fields.
- Flexible online programs offered in Psychology, Criminal Justice, Education, and more.
- Assigned Financial Services Advisors to help answer student financial questions.
- Servicemembers and their spouses can apply for the Ashford Military Grant to reduce tuition for all undergraduate courses.
- Healthcare Management programs at the bachelor and master’s level, with undergraduate specializations in health services administration and gerontology management.
- Specialized degrees that provide in-depth study across multiple disciplines, such as law, marketing, business, government, and technology.
- Industry-current curriculum where more of the courses you take are devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- Regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association (NCA).
- Master's Healthcare Management