Phlebotomy, also referred to as venipuncture, is the process involved to remove blood from the body. Typically performed at a clinic, hospital, or doctor’s office, a phlebotomist is properly trained in using the equipment involved with skill. Blood removal is necessary for a variety of reasons, including donations, to collect samples, or when patients suffer from conditions such as hemochromatosis. For anyone interested in the field of phlebotomy in the state of Oregon, coursework must be successfully completed for qualification.
Overview of Phlebotomy Training in Oregon
Phlebotomists in Oregon aren’t required to be licensed. However, national certification can be earned through an exam offered by the American Society for Clinical Pathologists. For those who wish to improve their opportunities to advance in the field, national certification is highly recommended. Coursework in Oregon can run from six months to a year, generally taking two terms for completion. The first term involves study of the fundamental principles for phlebotomy. Students focus on the human anatomy. The entire process involved in removing or collecting blood, handling samples, and dealing with patients is covered in the course of study. In addition, proper use of equipment is essential. The second term of study involves the practicum portion when clinical experience is the main focus. When students have successfully completed all segments of their coursework, any exams, and their practicum, they become qualified phlebotomists.
Requirements for Phlebotomy Training in Oregon
In order to become a phlebotomist, potential students must be at least eighteen. They are required to hold a minimum of a high school diploma or a GED. Students generally must reach required scores in math, reading, and writing on entrance exams. Fluency in all aspects of English, including reading, writing, and speaking, is an absolute necessity in order to be accepted into a program. Immunizations must be current and students need to be in good health, passing tuberculosis testing as well. This is essential considering students will be working with patients and cannot risk infection to themselves or others.
Outlook for Phlebotomy Jobs in Oregon
The healthcare field continues to be in demand and job opportunities are expected to grow by 14% in the next few years. Phlebotomists will find more alternatives for work if they are flexible about hours and location. The average salary for a phlebotomist in Oregon is $31,000, but it can be as high as $37,000. The amount varies depending on locale and will generally be higher in more populated areas. Expect a lower salary in remote regions. Students with national certification and more experience are likely to earn more.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Medical Assisting
- Administrative Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant
You can get started on a new career with Institute of Technology. We offer diploma and associate degree programs for careers in the culinary, technical, medical, business, and legal fields.
For more information about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program, and other important information, please visit our website at www.iot.edu/disclosure.
- Professional Medical Assistant
- Practical Nursing
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in Stevens-Henager College is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Medical Specialties (AOS)
- Respiratory Therapy (AS)
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Master of Public Health
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
More Phlebotomy Classes in Oregon
|Abdill Career College, Inc.||843 E. Main Street, Medford, OR 97504||http://www.abdill.com/#!academic-programs/vstc9=phlebotomy|
|Institute of Technology||4707 Silverton Road Northeast, Salem, OR 97305||http://www.iot.edu/programs/medical/phlebotomy-lab-assistant|
|Lane Community College||1059 Willamette St., Eugene, OR 97401||http://www2.lanecc.edu/ce/healthoccupations/phlebotomy|
|Linn-Benton Community College||6500 Pacific Blvd. SW, Albany, OR 97321||http://www.linnbenton.edu/programs-of-study/major-detail/MajorsProgramsID/174/LBDeptsID/107|
|Rogue Valley Phlebotomy School||PO Box 189, Medford, OR 97501||http://www.roguevalleyphlebotomyschool.com/|
|Southwestern Oregon Community College||1988 Newmark Avenue, Coos Bay, OR 97420||http://www.socc.edu/academics/pgs/degrees/programs/certificate-of-completion-phlebotomy-technician.shtml|
|West Coast Phlebotomy, Inc.||1678 Beavercreek Rd., Suite N, Oregon City, OR 97045||http://www.westcoastphlebotomy.com/|
|Northwest Institute for Healthcare Training||25030 SW Parkway Ave., Wilsonville, OR 97070||http://healthcarenw.net/courses/phlebotomy.html|
|Northwest Institute for Healthcare Training||1860 Hawthorne Ave NE, Salem, OR 97301||http://healthcarenw.net/courses/phlebotomy.html|
|Portland Community College||705 N Killingsworth, Portland, OR 97217||http://www.pcc.edu/career/pathways/professional-technical/phlebotomy/|
|Portland Community College||17705 NW Springville Rd., Portland, OR 97229||http://www.pcc.edu/career/pathways/professional-technical/phlebotomy/|
|Portland Community College||12000 SW 49th Ave., Portland, OR 97219||http://www.pcc.edu/career/pathways/professional-technical/phlebotomy/|
|Oregon Medical Training, Inc.||25030 SW Parkway Ave., Wilsonville, OR 97070||http://www.oregonmedicaltraining.com/|
|Oregon Medical Training, Inc.||1860 Hawthorne Ave NE, Salem, OR 97301||http://www.oregonmedicaltraining.com/|