Phlebotomy, also referred to as venipuncture, is the process involved to remove blood from the body. Typically performed at a clinic, hospital, or doctor’s office, a phlebotomist is properly trained in using the equipment involved with skill. Blood removal is necessary for a variety of reasons, including donations, to collect samples, or when patients suffer from conditions such as hemochromatosis. For anyone interested in the field of phlebotomy in the state of Oregon, coursework must be successfully completed for qualification.
Overview of Phlebotomy Training in Oregon
Phlebotomists in Oregon aren’t required to be licensed. However, national certification can be earned through an exam offered by the American Society for Clinical Pathologists. For those who wish to improve their opportunities to advance in the field, national certification is highly recommended. Coursework in Oregon can run from six months to a year, generally taking two terms for completion. The first term involves study of the fundamental principles for phlebotomy. Students focus on the human anatomy. The entire process involved in removing or collecting blood, handling samples, and dealing with patients is covered in the course of study. In addition, proper use of equipment is essential. The second term of study involves the practicum portion when clinical experience is the main focus. When students have successfully completed all segments of their coursework, any exams, and their practicum, they become qualified phlebotomists.
Requirements for Phlebotomy Training in Oregon
In order to become a phlebotomist, potential students must be at least eighteen. They are required to hold a minimum of a high school diploma or a GED. Students generally must reach required scores in math, reading, and writing on entrance exams. Fluency in all aspects of English, including reading, writing, and speaking, is an absolute necessity in order to be accepted into a program. Immunizations must be current and students need to be in good health, passing tuberculosis testing as well. This is essential considering students will be working with patients and cannot risk infection to themselves or others.
Outlook for Phlebotomy Jobs in Oregon
The healthcare field continues to be in demand and job opportunities are expected to grow by 14% in the next few years. Phlebotomists will find more alternatives for work if they are flexible about hours and location. The average salary for a phlebotomist in Oregon is $31,000, but it can be as high as $37,000. The amount varies depending on locale and will generally be higher in more populated areas. Expect a lower salary in remote regions. Students with national certification and more experience are likely to earn more.
- A part of the Select Education Group (SEG).
- Offers several scholarship and financial aid opportunities for students who qualify.
- California campuses accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges, and accreditation for the Salem campus from the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training.
- 4 Campuses located in Clovis, Modesto and Redding in California, and Salem in Oregon.
- Professional Medical Assistant
- Practical Nursing
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
San Joaquin Valley College is an accredited private junior college committed to the professional success of its students and graduates.
Founded in 1977, SJVC has campuses located throughout California-including an Online division and offers a variety of accelerated Certificate and Associate of Science degree programs in the business, medical and technical fields.
- Degree - Medical Assistant
- Certificate - Medical Billing and Coding
- Degree - Medical Billing and Coding
- Medical Assistant (Diploma)
- Pharmacy Technician (Diploma)
- Medical Insurance Billing and Coding (Diploma)
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Medical Assistant
- Certificate - Dental Assisting
- Certificate - Pharmacy Technician
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in Stevens-Henager College is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Medical Specialties (AOS)
- Respiratory Therapy (AS)
- Veterinary Assisting
- Physical Therapy Aide
Orion College is a post-secondary vocational school offering Associate Degree programs in Business Administration, Medical Assisting and Healthcare Management.. By utilizing online learning, students have the flexibility to continue their education from the convenience of their own home. Our virtual classrooms will enable students to attend classes and communicate with instructors and classmates. Students can complete some programs without leaving their current employment or sacrificing family time.
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Billing Specialist
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
More Phlebotomy Classes in Oregon
|Abdill Career College, Inc.||843 E. Main Street, Medford, OR 97504||http://www.abdill.com/#!academic-programs/vstc9=phlebotomy|
|Institute of Technology||4707 Silverton Road Northeast, Salem, OR 97305||http://www.iot.edu/programs/medical/phlebotomy-lab-assistant|
|Lane Community College||1059 Willamette St., Eugene, OR 97401||http://www2.lanecc.edu/ce/healthoccupations/phlebotomy|
|Linn-Benton Community College||6500 Pacific Blvd. SW, Albany, OR 97321||http://www.linnbenton.edu/programs-of-study/major-detail/MajorsProgramsID/174/LBDeptsID/107|
|Rogue Valley Phlebotomy School||PO Box 189, Medford, OR 97501||http://www.roguevalleyphlebotomyschool.com/|
|Southwestern Oregon Community College||1988 Newmark Avenue, Coos Bay, OR 97420||http://www.socc.edu/academics/pgs/degrees/programs/certificate-of-completion-phlebotomy-technician.shtml|
|West Coast Phlebotomy, Inc.||1678 Beavercreek Rd., Suite N, Oregon City, OR 97045||http://www.westcoastphlebotomy.com/|
|Northwest Institute for Healthcare Training||25030 SW Parkway Ave., Wilsonville, OR 97070||http://healthcarenw.net/courses/phlebotomy.html|
|Northwest Institute for Healthcare Training||1860 Hawthorne Ave NE, Salem, OR 97301||http://healthcarenw.net/courses/phlebotomy.html|
|Portland Community College||705 N Killingsworth, Portland, OR 97217||http://www.pcc.edu/career/pathways/professional-technical/phlebotomy/|
|Portland Community College||17705 NW Springville Rd., Portland, OR 97229||http://www.pcc.edu/career/pathways/professional-technical/phlebotomy/|
|Portland Community College||12000 SW 49th Ave., Portland, OR 97219||http://www.pcc.edu/career/pathways/professional-technical/phlebotomy/|
|Oregon Medical Training, Inc.||25030 SW Parkway Ave., Wilsonville, OR 97070||http://www.oregonmedicaltraining.com/|
|Oregon Medical Training, Inc.||1860 Hawthorne Ave NE, Salem, OR 97301||http://www.oregonmedicaltraining.com/|