Phlebotomy, also referred to as venipuncture, is the process involved to remove blood from the body. Typically performed at a clinic, hospital, or doctor’s office, a phlebotomist is properly trained in using the equipment involved with skill. Blood removal is necessary for a variety of reasons, including donations, to collect samples, or when patients suffer from conditions such as hemochromatosis. For anyone interested in the field of phlebotomy in the state of Oregon, coursework must be successfully completed for qualification.
Overview of Phlebotomy Training in Oregon
Phlebotomists in Oregon aren’t required to be licensed. However, national certification can be earned through an exam offered by the American Society for Clinical Pathologists. For those who wish to improve their opportunities to advance in the field, national certification is highly recommended. Coursework in Oregon can run from six months to a year, generally taking two terms for completion. The first term involves study of the fundamental principles for phlebotomy. Students focus on the human anatomy. The entire process involved in removing or collecting blood, handling samples, and dealing with patients is covered in the course of study. In addition, proper use of equipment is essential. The second term of study involves the practicum portion when clinical experience is the main focus. When students have successfully completed all segments of their coursework, any exams, and their practicum, they become qualified phlebotomists.
Requirements for Phlebotomy Training in Oregon
In order to become a phlebotomist, potential students must be at least eighteen. They are required to hold a minimum of a high school diploma or a GED. Students generally must reach required scores in math, reading, and writing on entrance exams. Fluency in all aspects of English, including reading, writing, and speaking, is an absolute necessity in order to be accepted into a program. Immunizations must be current and students need to be in good health, passing tuberculosis testing as well. This is essential considering students will be working with patients and cannot risk infection to themselves or others.
Outlook for Phlebotomy Jobs in Oregon
The healthcare field continues to be in demand and job opportunities are expected to grow by 14% in the next few years. Phlebotomists will find more alternatives for work if they are flexible about hours and location. The average salary for a phlebotomist in Oregon is $31,000, but it can be as high as $37,000. The amount varies depending on locale and will generally be higher in more populated areas. Expect a lower salary in remote regions. Students with national certification and more experience are likely to earn more.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
- Medical Assistant (Diploma)
- Pharmacy Technician (Diploma)
- Medical Insurance Billing and Coding (Diploma)
San Joaquin Valley College is an accredited private junior college committed to the professional success of its students and graduates.
Founded in 1977, SJVC has campuses located throughout California-including an Online division and offers a variety of accelerated Certificate and Associate of Science degree programs in the business, medical and technical fields.
- Degree - Medical Assistant
- Certificate - Medical Billing and Coding
- Degree - Medical Billing and Coding
Penn Foster College
Penn Foster College offers a complete learning experience for busy adults looking to advance their education around their schedule. With Penn Foster College, you can earn your degree or undergraduate certificate online and at a pace that’s right for you.
Here’s why thousands of students have chosen Penn Foster College:
• Accreditation —Penn Foster College is nationally accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC) and licensed by the Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education.
- Veterinary Technician (Associate)
- Veterinary Assistant
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
Whatever your motivation for considering an undergraduate or graduate degree, Florida Tech offers programs online that can meet your needs. Here are a few reasons Florida Tech may be the right choice for you.
- Associate of Arts in Healthcare Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration/Healthcare Management
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
More Phlebotomy Classes in Oregon
|Abdill Career College, Inc.||843 E. Main Street, Medford, OR 97504||http://www.abdill.com/#!academic-programs/vstc9=phlebotomy|
|Institute of Technology||4707 Silverton Road Northeast, Salem, OR 97305||http://www.iot.edu/programs/medical/phlebotomy-lab-assistant|
|Lane Community College||1059 Willamette St., Eugene, OR 97401||http://www2.lanecc.edu/ce/healthoccupations/phlebotomy|
|Linn-Benton Community College||6500 Pacific Blvd. SW, Albany, OR 97321||http://www.linnbenton.edu/programs-of-study/major-detail/MajorsProgramsID/174/LBDeptsID/107|
|Rogue Valley Phlebotomy School||PO Box 189, Medford, OR 97501||http://www.roguevalleyphlebotomyschool.com/|
|Southwestern Oregon Community College||1988 Newmark Avenue, Coos Bay, OR 97420||http://www.socc.edu/academics/pgs/degrees/programs/certificate-of-completion-phlebotomy-technician.shtml|
|West Coast Phlebotomy, Inc.||1678 Beavercreek Rd., Suite N, Oregon City, OR 97045||http://www.westcoastphlebotomy.com/|
|Northwest Institute for Healthcare Training||25030 SW Parkway Ave., Wilsonville, OR 97070||http://healthcarenw.net/courses/phlebotomy.html|
|Northwest Institute for Healthcare Training||1860 Hawthorne Ave NE, Salem, OR 97301||http://healthcarenw.net/courses/phlebotomy.html|
|Portland Community College||705 N Killingsworth, Portland, OR 97217||http://www.pcc.edu/career/pathways/professional-technical/phlebotomy/|
|Portland Community College||17705 NW Springville Rd., Portland, OR 97229||http://www.pcc.edu/career/pathways/professional-technical/phlebotomy/|
|Portland Community College||12000 SW 49th Ave., Portland, OR 97219||http://www.pcc.edu/career/pathways/professional-technical/phlebotomy/|
|Oregon Medical Training, Inc.||25030 SW Parkway Ave., Wilsonville, OR 97070||http://www.oregonmedicaltraining.com/|
|Oregon Medical Training, Inc.||1860 Hawthorne Ave NE, Salem, OR 97301||http://www.oregonmedicaltraining.com/|