The following subjects are usually included in the classroom portion of the program:
- Basic first aid
- Basic sanitation and hygiene procedures
- Anatomy and physiology
- Proper blood sample collection
- Office procedures for clinics
Phoenix is home to several phlebotomy training programs. Courses are offered at the following institutions:
- Phoenix College
- Brookline College
- Maricopa Community Colleges
- Arizona College (in nearby Glendale)
Requirements for Phlebotomy Training in Phoenix
In addition to a successfully completed application, anyone who wants to begin a phlebotomy training course must first make sure that all of their vaccinations are up to date. This is because they will be working with blood and may access patients who have diseases such as Hepatitis A or B. In addition, some programs in Phoenix may require background checks and drug tests.
Job Outlook for Phlebotomists in Phoenix
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), phlebotomists in Arizona could expect to earn $15.17 as a median hourly wage and had a mean annual salary of $32,490.
Job opportunities for phlebotomists in Phoenix and the surrounding suburbs tend to be quite good. The overall national demand for phlebotomists is expected to grow by 27 percent in the next ten years due to the aging U.S. population. Given the high number of retirees in the Phoenix area, a career in phlebotomy could prove to be very rewarding.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Health Information Management
Arizona College prepares students to work in the 'real world' of medicine. With the use of lecture and laboratory teaching, we provide our students with hands on experience.
- Medical Assisting
San Joaquin Valley College is an accredited private junior college committed to the professional success of its students and graduates.
Founded in 1977, SJVC has campuses located throughout California-including an Online division and offers a variety of accelerated Certificate and Associate of Science degree programs in the business, medical and technical fields.
- Degree - Medical Assistant