Healthcare proves to be one of the fastest growing fields in the country, offering various employment opportunities for those interested in pursuing a medical career. In Rhode Island there are numerous training programs available where one can gain the required educational experience to become a phlebotomist technician. Phlebotomy is the practice of obtaining blood samples from patients and donors in hospitals, laboratories, blood banks or physician’s offices. Phlebotomist also routinely analyze and process these samples for medical evaluation purposes.
The courses will prepare students to safely and properly draw blood in accordance with state and national health standards, while also providing for the proper storage, transport and processing of samples. Programs often include externships where students are given the opportunity to work in clinical settings performing venipuncture, the practice of drawing blood, and other procedures to gain workplace experience.
Although phlebotomy technicians are primarily known for obtaining blood samples at doctor’s offices and hospitals, they must also familiarize themselves with laboratory procedures, learn about cellular and blood composition, medical terminology, and EKG practices. Courses will also introduce advanced techniques, such as how perform Heparin IVs and do intramuscular and subcutaneous IVs. As most phlebotomy technicians will be required to interact with patients on a daily basis, training programs also help students develop communication skills, preparing technicians for difficult patients such as children or those with mental illnesses such as Alzheimer’s.
Phlebotomy programs can cost up to $5000, representing a significant educational investment. However, this investment can provide a future payoff and a stable career in a field that is expected to grow. The average salary for phlebotomy technicians in Rhode Island is between $30,000 and $35,000 a year. While Rhode Island suffers high unemployment on the state-level, the health sector along with the education sector are two of the best performing sectors in the United States, and there continues to be solid demand for phlebotomy technicians. Additionally, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports a strong growth outlook for phlebotomy positions through 2022, expecting a 22 percent growth in the field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Healthcare Management programs at the bachelor and master’s level, with undergraduate specializations in health services administration and gerontology management.
- Specialized degrees that provide in-depth study across multiple disciplines, such as law, marketing, business, government, and technology.
- Industry-current curriculum where more of the courses you take are devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- Regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association (NCA).
- Master's Healthcare Management
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant
- Veterinary Assistant
Penn Foster College
Penn Foster College offers a complete learning experience for busy adults looking to advance their education around their schedule. With Penn Foster College, you can earn your degree or undergraduate certificate online and at a pace that’s right for you.
Here’s why thousands of students have chosen Penn Foster College:
• Accreditation —Penn Foster College is nationally accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC) and licensed by the Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education.
- Veterinary Technician (Associate)
Get hands-on training with Ridley-Lowell Business & Technical Institute. Our campuses in New York and Connecticut can help give you career training in a wide variety of fields, including accounting, cosmetology, criminal justice, electrical systems technology, HVAC, IT, legal assisting, massage therapy, allied health, office administration, and more.
- Medical Assistant - Day
- Medical Assistant - Eve
- Medical Administrative Assistant - Eve
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
More Phlebotomy Classes in Rhode Island
|Community College of Rhode Island||1762 Louisquisset Pike, Lincoln, RI 02865||http://www.ccri.edu/alliedhealth/phlebotomy/index.html|
|Community College of Rhode Island||1 Hilton Street, Providence, RI 02905||http://www.ccri.edu/alliedhealth/phlebotomy/index.html|
|Cranston Alternate Education Programs||4 Sharpe Drive, Cranston, RI 02920||http://aep.cpsed.net/vocational-training/phlebotomy-technician.asp|
|911 Programs||555 Jefferson Blvd., Warwick, RI||http://classroom.911programs.com/register_class_details.php?programid=7|
|Bastien Academy||120 Amaral Street, East Providence, RI 02915||http://www.bastienacademy.com/School_News.html|
|Community College of Rhode Island - Knight Campus||400 East Ave Warwick, RI 02886||http://www.ccri.edu/|