Healthcare proves to be one of the fastest growing fields in the country, offering various employment opportunities for those interested in pursuing a medical career. In Rhode Island there are numerous training programs available where one can gain the required educational experience to become a phlebotomist technician. Phlebotomy is the practice of obtaining blood samples from patients and donors in hospitals, laboratories, blood banks or physician’s offices. Phlebotomist also routinely analyze and process these samples for medical evaluation purposes.
The courses will prepare students to safely and properly draw blood in accordance with state and national health standards, while also providing for the proper storage, transport and processing of samples. Programs often include externships where students are given the opportunity to work in clinical settings performing venipuncture, the practice of drawing blood, and other procedures to gain workplace experience.
Although phlebotomy technicians are primarily known for obtaining blood samples at doctor’s offices and hospitals, they must also familiarize themselves with laboratory procedures, learn about cellular and blood composition, medical terminology, and EKG practices. Courses will also introduce advanced techniques, such as how perform Heparin IVs and do intramuscular and subcutaneous IVs. As most phlebotomy technicians will be required to interact with patients on a daily basis, training programs also help students develop communication skills, preparing technicians for difficult patients such as children or those with mental illnesses such as Alzheimer’s.
Phlebotomy programs can cost up to $5000, representing a significant educational investment. However, this investment can provide a future payoff and a stable career in a field that is expected to grow. The average salary for phlebotomy technicians in Rhode Island is between $30,000 and $35,000 a year. While Rhode Island suffers high unemployment on the state-level, the health sector along with the education sector are two of the best performing sectors in the United States, and there continues to be solid demand for phlebotomy technicians. Additionally, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports a strong growth outlook for phlebotomy positions through 2022, expecting a 22 percent growth in the field.
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
New England Institute of Technology is a private, non-profit, co-educational technical university offering over 50 Associate in Science, Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degree programs. As a leader in technical career education in southern New England, New England Institute of Technology (also known as New England Tech or NEIT) is committed to providing hands-on technological programs that prepare graduates for positions of leadership in the technical, industrial, business, and allied health communities. Most of our associate degree programs can be completed in as little as 18 months, and bachelor’s degree programs in as little as three years. Last year, over 3,000 students chose New England Tech for the hands-on laboratory and classroom training that provides the necessary skills to begin their technical careers.
- AS - Clinical Medical Assistant
- AS - Animal and Veterinary Management
- AS - Respiratory Care
- And more...
Get hands-on training with Ridley-Lowell Business & Technical Institute. Our campuses in New York and Connecticut can help give you career training in a wide variety of fields, including accounting, cosmetology, criminal justice, electrical systems technology, HVAC, IT, legal assisting, massage therapy, allied health, office administration, and more.
- Medical Assistant - Day
- Medical Assistant - Eve
- Dental Assistant - Day
- And more...
- Veterinary Assistant
- Pharmacy Technician
- Medical Coding and Billing
- Looking for an Online Healthcare Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
More Phlebotomy Classes in Rhode Island
|Community College of Rhode Island||1762 Louisquisset Pike, Lincoln, RI 02865||http://www.ccri.edu/alliedhealth/phlebotomy/index.html|
|Community College of Rhode Island||1 Hilton Street, Providence, RI 02905||http://www.ccri.edu/alliedhealth/phlebotomy/index.html|
|Cranston Alternate Education Programs||4 Sharpe Drive, Cranston, RI 02920||http://aep.cpsed.net/vocational-training/phlebotomy-technician.asp|
|911 Programs||555 Jefferson Blvd., Warwick, RI||http://classroom.911programs.com/register_class_details.php?programid=7|
|Bastien Academy||120 Amaral Street, East Providence, RI 02915||http://www.bastienacademy.com/School_News.html|
|Community College of Rhode Island - Knight Campus||400 East Ave Warwick, RI 02886||http://www.ccri.edu/|