Healthcare proves to be one of the fastest growing fields in the country, offering various employment opportunities for those interested in pursuing a medical career. In Rhode Island there are numerous training programs available where one can gain the required educational experience to become a phlebotomist technician. Phlebotomy is the practice of obtaining blood samples from patients and donors in hospitals, laboratories, blood banks or physician’s offices. Phlebotomist also routinely analyze and process these samples for medical evaluation purposes.
The courses will prepare students to safely and properly draw blood in accordance with state and national health standards, while also providing for the proper storage, transport and processing of samples. Programs often include externships where students are given the opportunity to work in clinical settings performing venipuncture, the practice of drawing blood, and other procedures to gain workplace experience.
Although phlebotomy technicians are primarily known for obtaining blood samples at doctor’s offices and hospitals, they must also familiarize themselves with laboratory procedures, learn about cellular and blood composition, medical terminology, and EKG practices. Courses will also introduce advanced techniques, such as how perform Heparin IVs and do intramuscular and subcutaneous IVs. As most phlebotomy technicians will be required to interact with patients on a daily basis, training programs also help students develop communication skills, preparing technicians for difficult patients such as children or those with mental illnesses such as Alzheimer’s.
Phlebotomy programs can cost up to $5000, representing a significant educational investment. However, this investment can provide a future payoff and a stable career in a field that is expected to grow. The average salary for phlebotomy technicians in Rhode Island is between $30,000 and $35,000 a year. While Rhode Island suffers high unemployment on the state-level, the health sector along with the education sector are two of the best performing sectors in the United States, and there continues to be solid demand for phlebotomy technicians. Additionally, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports a strong growth outlook for phlebotomy positions through 2022, expecting a 22 percent growth in the field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant
New England Institute of Technology is a private, non-profit, co-educational technical university offering over 50 Associate in Science, Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degree programs. As a leader in technical career education in southern New England, New England Institute of Technology (also known as New England Tech or NEIT) is committed to providing hands-on technological programs that prepare graduates for positions of leadership in the technical, industrial, business, and allied health communities. Most of our associate degree programs can be completed in as little as 18 months, and bachelor’s degree programs in as little as three years. Last year, over 3,000 students chose New England Tech for the hands-on laboratory and classroom training that provides the necessary skills to begin their technical careers.
- AS - Veterinary Technology
- AS - Animal and Veterinary Management
- AS - Respiratory Care
- And more...
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Public Administration in Healthcare Policy & Ethics
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- MBA - Healthcare Management
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Nursing (RN-BSN) - Bachelor's
- Nursing - Master's
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Wilkes University’s School of Nursing offers CCNE-accredited online degrees and certificate programs ideal for working health care professionals, instructed by experienced, respected faculty dedicated to mentoring and personalized support for every student. Our nursing degrees offer the cutting-edge professional knowledge and skills needed in today’s dynamic, evolving health care industry.
- RN to MS - Nursing Informatics
- M.S. with Major in Nursing - Nursing Informatics
- DNP - Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
More Phlebotomy Classes in Rhode Island
|Community College of Rhode Island||1762 Louisquisset Pike, Lincoln, RI 02865||http://www.ccri.edu/alliedhealth/phlebotomy/index.html|
|Community College of Rhode Island||1 Hilton Street, Providence, RI 02905||http://www.ccri.edu/alliedhealth/phlebotomy/index.html|
|Cranston Alternate Education Programs||4 Sharpe Drive, Cranston, RI 02920||http://aep.cpsed.net/vocational-training/phlebotomy-technician.asp|
|911 Programs||555 Jefferson Blvd., Warwick, RI||http://classroom.911programs.com/register_class_details.php?programid=7|
|Bastien Academy||120 Amaral Street, East Providence, RI 02915||http://www.bastienacademy.com/School_News.html|
|Community College of Rhode Island - Knight Campus||400 East Ave Warwick, RI 02886||http://www.ccri.edu/|