If you’ve ever had blood drawn, you’re already had contact with a phlebotomy technician. This medical specialist is the one who draws blood and submits it the lab for testing or analysis. Much like medical assistants, phlebotomy technicians have other duties such as taking and documenting vital signs, taking patients’ medical histories, cleaning and sterilizing equipment, disposing of contaminated supplies and entering electronic
What is a Phlebotomy Technician
health records. As a phlebotomy technician, you may find work in clinics, hospitals, doctors’ offices, medical laboratories and other healthcare facilities.
Phlebotomy training is short in duration with many programs lasting only a couple months or even just a semester. They usually result in the student earning a diploma or a certificate. The one they all have in common is that they all require the student complete classroom courses and a clinical portion. Topics of study in the classroom may include basic phlebotomy procedures, diseases of the human body, anatomy and physiology, specimen handling and transport, universal precautions and infection control, communication and collection procedures, among others. To successfully complete the clinical education, the student will obtain supervised hands-on training and then complete a designated number of phlebotomy procedures unassisted. The student learns about venipunctures, capillary punctures and will gain knowledge of arterial puncture techniques. Upon completion of the training, the student is prepared to obtain phlebotomy certification in San Diego.
What Does Phlebotomy Training in San Diego Consist of?
As an aspiring phlebotomy technician, you’ll find phlebotomy training in San Diego is offered at several schools throughout the area. Although this may vary by school, students entering phlebotomy training are typically required to meet specific admission requirements such as having immunizations, health screenings, CPR certification and submitting to criminal background checks. While phlebotomy training is generally a short-term program, it may also be offered as part of a degree program, such as a medical laboratory technician associate degree program.
Where Can I Find Phlebotomy Training in San Diego?
According to the California Department of Public Health, all individuals who are drawing blood who are not doctors, nurses or clinical lab scientists must be certified. Phlebotomy certification in San Diego is obtained by passing a certification examination through a certifying agency. There are several agencies that can provide phlebotomy certification in San Diego. Below are the major certification agencies available to graduates of phlebotomy training.
How Do I Obtain Phlebotomy Certification in San Diego?
- American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians (ASPT) – Applicants must have completed an accredited training program or have at least one year of part-time or six months of full-time work in the field.
- American Medical Technologists (AMT) – Applicants must have completed an AMT-approved phlebotomy program or completed at least 1,040 hours work experience in this field.
- National Healthcare Association (NHA) – Applicants must have completed accredited training programs or have at least one year work experience as phlebotomy technicians.
- National Center for Competency Testing – Applicants must also have completed approved training programs or show proof of sufficient work experience.
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Veterinary Technology - Associates
- Respiratory Therapy
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
The lessons learned in your online courses can prepare you for whatever area of public health you’re interested in. Courses include the following:
- Public Health Biology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Health
- Health Policy
- Finance and Budget
- Health Informatics
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Public Health Law, Ethics and Policy Analysis
Our 100% onlineand CEPH-accredited MPH program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise — and your career — without having to put your life on hold.
- Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Wilkes University’s School of Nursing offers CCNE-accredited online degrees and certificate programs ideal for working health care professionals, instructed by experienced, respected faculty dedicated to mentoring and personalized support for every student. Our nursing degrees offer the cutting-edge professional knowledge and skills needed in today’s dynamic, evolving health care industry.
- RN to BS
- RN to MS - Nursing Informatics
- M.S. with Major in Nursing - Nursing Informatics
- And more...
Do you want to start working toward a career that actually makes you excited? If so, an education from West Coast University (WCU) could be the perfect choice for you! This accredited, private University has a history that dates back over 100 years. Today, WCU offers health care degrees that will help prepare you and educate you on the current trends and issues within the health industry.
- MSN - Informatics (Online)
- MSN Advanced Generalist (Online)
- RN to MSN - Advanced Generalist (Online)
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
The Executive Master of Public Administration (EMPA) at Syracuse University's Maxwell School prepares professionals for the challenges of leading organizations in the midst of dynamic global change.
- Executive Master of Public Administration (Executive MPA)