If you’ve ever had blood drawn, you’re already had contact with a phlebotomy technician. This medical specialist is the one who draws blood and submits it the lab for testing or analysis. Much like medical assistants, phlebotomy technicians have other duties such as taking and documenting vital signs, taking patients’ medical histories, cleaning and sterilizing equipment, disposing of contaminated supplies and entering electronic
What is a Phlebotomy Technician
health records. As a phlebotomy technician, you may find work in clinics, hospitals, doctors’ offices, medical laboratories and other healthcare facilities.
Phlebotomy training is short in duration with many programs lasting only a couple months or even just a semester. They usually result in the student earning a diploma or a certificate. The one they all have in common is that they all require the student complete classroom courses and a clinical portion. Topics of study in the classroom may include basic phlebotomy procedures, diseases of the human body, anatomy and physiology, specimen handling and transport, universal precautions and infection control, communication and collection procedures, among others. To successfully complete the clinical education, the student will obtain supervised hands-on training and then complete a designated number of phlebotomy procedures unassisted. The student learns about venipunctures, capillary punctures and will gain knowledge of arterial puncture techniques. Upon completion of the training, the student is prepared to obtain phlebotomy certification in San Diego.
What Does Phlebotomy Training in San Diego Consist of?
As an aspiring phlebotomy technician, you’ll find phlebotomy training in San Diego is offered at several schools throughout the area. Although this may vary by school, students entering phlebotomy training are typically required to meet specific admission requirements such as having immunizations, health screenings, CPR certification and submitting to criminal background checks. While phlebotomy training is generally a short-term program, it may also be offered as part of a degree program, such as a medical laboratory technician associate degree program.
Where Can I Find Phlebotomy Training in San Diego?
According to the California Department of Public Health, all individuals who are drawing blood who are not doctors, nurses or clinical lab scientists must be certified. Phlebotomy certification in San Diego is obtained by passing a certification examination through a certifying agency. There are several agencies that can provide phlebotomy certification in San Diego. Below are the major certification agencies available to graduates of phlebotomy training.
How Do I Obtain Phlebotomy Certification in San Diego?
- American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians (ASPT) – Applicants must have completed an accredited training program or have at least one year of part-time or six months of full-time work in the field.
- American Medical Technologists (AMT) – Applicants must have completed an AMT-approved phlebotomy program or completed at least 1,040 hours work experience in this field.
- National Healthcare Association (NHA) – Applicants must have completed accredited training programs or have at least one year work experience as phlebotomy technicians.
- National Center for Competency Testing – Applicants must also have completed approved training programs or show proof of sufficient work experience.
Get personalized attention with UMA.
One-on-one tutoring, pre-interview coaching, job search assistance, alumni services-they’re all included in Ultimate Medical Academy’s competitively priced tuition. As a nationally accredited school, we provide quality career training online and at our campus in Clearwater, Florida. Let’s talk about your needs, your career goals and how UMA can help you succeed.
- Diploma - Medical Administrative Assistant
- A.S. - Medical Billing & Coding
- Diploma - Medical Billing & Coding
- And more...
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Veterinary Technology - Associates
- Respiratory Therapy
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Master of Public Health
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Earn your Bachelor of Science in Public Health - 100% online
- Learn about controlling infectious disease, improving healthcare access, and more
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Master of Public Health
- BS in Public Health
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Public Administration in Healthcare Policy & Ethics