List of Phlebotomy Schools near San Diego
- AS - Medical Assisting and Administration
- Medical Assisting
- Vocational Nursing
- Works closely with an advisory board from the medical community to ensure that their curriculum, equipment and instruction are current and relevant.
- Offers special tuition pricing for Veterans, Active Duty Military and spouses/qualifying dependents of all Active Duty, National Guard and Reserves.
- ABHES-accredited: An advantage upon graduation
- Short-term education: Programs range from 10 months to 2 years
- Blackboard Learn mobile allows students to complete assignments on the go.
- Diploma - Medical Administrative Assistant
- Diploma - Medical Office Billing Specialist
- A.S. - Medical Billing & Coding
- And more...
Westwood College is dedicated to preparing students with the knowledge, skills and training needed for meaningful employment. Through education, we create opportunities, change lives and impact futures.
- Dental Assisting (A)
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- BS in Heath and Wellness
- Associate of Science in Health Science (Military Only)
- Ranked among the Best Online Graduate Business Programs and Education Programs in 2015 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Financial aid is available for students who quality, with more than $1,000,000 through 10 scholarships.
- Offers 24/7 student services, including financial aid help, course registration, and career counseling.
- Students may opt in for a two week, risk-free trial period.
- Active-duty military, veterans, and Veteran’s Administration employees can save 15% on tuition.
- B.S. in Health Studies - Health Management
- B.S. in Health Studies - Health Communication
- B.S. in Health Studies - Self-Designed
- And more...
Pioneering distance education since 1985, Liberty University is now the nation’s seventh largest university. With more than 300 online and residential areas of study, Liberty offers programs from the certificate to doctoral level.
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Specialist Program
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
Grantham University's 100% accredited online degrees are convenient, portable and designed so you can fit education into your life instead of arranging life around your education.
- Associate of Applied Science in Medical Coding and Billing
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Office Assistant
- Medical Coding Specialist
If you’ve ever had blood drawn, you’re already had contact with a phlebotomy technician. This medical specialist is the one who draws blood and submits it the lab for testing or analysis. Much like medical assistants, phlebotomy technicians have other duties such as taking and documenting vital signs, taking patients’ medical histories, cleaning and sterilizing equipment, disposing of contaminated supplies and entering electronic
What is a Phlebotomy Technician
health records. As a phlebotomy technician, you may find work in clinics, hospitals, doctors’ offices, medical laboratories and other healthcare facilities.
Phlebotomy training is short in duration with many programs lasting only a couple months or even just a semester. They usually result in the student earning a diploma or a certificate. The one they all have in common is that they all require the student complete classroom courses and a clinical portion. Topics of study in the classroom may include basic phlebotomy procedures, diseases of the human body, anatomy and physiology, specimen handling and transport, universal precautions and infection control, communication and collection procedures, among others. To successfully complete the clinical education, the student will obtain supervised hands-on training and then complete a designated number of phlebotomy procedures unassisted. The student learns about venipunctures, capillary punctures and will gain knowledge of arterial puncture techniques. Upon completion of the training, the student is prepared to obtain phlebotomy certification in San Diego.
What Does Phlebotomy Training in San Diego Consist of?
As an aspiring phlebotomy technician, you’ll find phlebotomy training in San Diego is offered at several schools throughout the area. Although this may vary by school, students entering phlebotomy training are typically required to meet specific admission requirements such as having immunizations, health screenings, CPR certification and submitting to criminal background checks. While phlebotomy training is generally a short-term program, it may also be offered as part of a degree program, such as a medical laboratory technician associate degree program.
Where Can I Find Phlebotomy Training in San Diego?
According to the California Department of Public Health, all individuals who are drawing blood who are not doctors, nurses or clinical lab scientists must be certified. Phlebotomy certification in San Diego is obtained by passing a certification examination through a certifying agency. There are several agencies that can provide phlebotomy certification in San Diego. Below are the major certification agencies available to graduates of phlebotomy training.
How Do I Obtain Phlebotomy Certification in San Diego?
- American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians (ASPT) – Applicants must have completed an accredited training program or have at least one year of part-time or six months of full-time work in the field.
- American Medical Technologists (AMT) – Applicants must have completed an AMT-approved phlebotomy program or completed at least 1,040 hours work experience in this field.
- National Healthcare Association (NHA) – Applicants must have completed accredited training programs or have at least one year work experience as phlebotomy technicians.
- National Center for Competency Testing – Applicants must also have completed approved training programs or show proof of sufficient work experience.