If you’ve ever had blood drawn, you’re already had contact with a phlebotomy technician. This medical specialist is the one who draws blood and submits it the lab for testing or analysis. Much like medical assistants, phlebotomy technicians have other duties such as taking and documenting vital signs, taking patients’ medical histories, cleaning and sterilizing equipment, disposing of contaminated supplies and entering electronic
What is a Phlebotomy Technician
health records. As a phlebotomy technician, you may find work in clinics, hospitals, doctors’ offices, medical laboratories and other healthcare facilities.
Phlebotomy training is short in duration with many programs lasting only a couple months or even just a semester. They usually result in the student earning a diploma or a certificate. The one they all have in common is that they all require the student complete classroom courses and a clinical portion. Topics of study in the classroom may include basic phlebotomy procedures, diseases of the human body, anatomy and physiology, specimen handling and transport, universal precautions and infection control, communication and collection procedures, among others. To successfully complete the clinical education, the student will obtain supervised hands-on training and then complete a designated number of phlebotomy procedures unassisted. The student learns about venipunctures, capillary punctures and will gain knowledge of arterial puncture techniques. Upon completion of the training, the student is prepared to obtain phlebotomy certification in San Diego.
What Does Phlebotomy Training in San Diego Consist of?
As an aspiring phlebotomy technician, you’ll find phlebotomy training in San Diego is offered at several schools throughout the area. Although this may vary by school, students entering phlebotomy training are typically required to meet specific admission requirements such as having immunizations, health screenings, CPR certification and submitting to criminal background checks. While phlebotomy training is generally a short-term program, it may also be offered as part of a degree program, such as a medical laboratory technician associate degree program.
Where Can I Find Phlebotomy Training in San Diego?
According to the California Department of Public Health, all individuals who are drawing blood who are not doctors, nurses or clinical lab scientists must be certified. Phlebotomy certification in San Diego is obtained by passing a certification examination through a certifying agency. There are several agencies that can provide phlebotomy certification in San Diego. Below are the major certification agencies available to graduates of phlebotomy training.
How Do I Obtain Phlebotomy Certification in San Diego?
- American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians (ASPT) – Applicants must have completed an accredited training program or have at least one year of part-time or six months of full-time work in the field.
- American Medical Technologists (AMT) – Applicants must have completed an AMT-approved phlebotomy program or completed at least 1,040 hours work experience in this field.
- National Healthcare Association (NHA) – Applicants must have completed accredited training programs or have at least one year work experience as phlebotomy technicians.
- National Center for Competency Testing – Applicants must also have completed approved training programs or show proof of sufficient work experience.
- Medical Billing Specialist
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Grand Canyon University - Where a Quality Education and Faith Coexist
- Recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- We support students through their academic and spiritual journey.
- GCU offers the convenience of online, on-campus, or evening programs.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- Doctor of Business Administration: Healthcare Management
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Veterinary Technology - Associates
- Respiratory Therapy
Founded in 1819, the University of Cincinnati (UC) has been categorized at the highest level of higher education: the Carnegie Commission (which evaluates the achievements of faculty, current research, leading edge curriculum, and accreditation) has recognized UC as a Doctoral/Research University — Extensive. Each year, this urban, public, nonprofit university graduates 5,000 students, adding to more than 200,000 living alumni around the world. The online programs connect students to a dynamic community of devoted educators, accessible research, and a dedicated support team.
- Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Therapy
- Veterinary Assistant
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
Work toward your graduate degree with New England College Online. We offer master's degree programs in management, accounting, and public policy that can be completed 100% online.
- MS in Management/Healthcare Administration
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's Healthcare Management