Phlebotomy is one of the most in demand jobs in Texas’ medical community. Several large training institutes and several smaller phlebotomy program in Texas make it easy to get trained for this profession and start working. Here are some of the facts on phlebotomy careers and training in Texas.
Phlebotomy training in Texas follows a national curriculum that prepares students to enter the profession. The training includes 2-3 months of hands on experience and course work, and then it culminates in each student sitting for a national proficiency exam. Students who want to become licensed in the profession need to complete their coursework adequately and then pass the national exam. A number of schools in the state have their own phlebotomy training programs, including Houston, Austin, Round Rock, and Waco. For more information on how to find a phlebotomy school in Texas, visit the following link: http://phlebotomisttrainingcenter.com/phlebotomy-training-in-texas/
The core of the course lies in learning to collect and analyze blood and urine samples. Students need to master the knowledge behind the process as well as the technical skills involved. Supervisors make sure that students learn each skill set correctly.
Phlebotomy Job Market in Texas
Now is a good time to choose a career in phlebotomy. Searches on traditional and online job boards turn up hundreds of jobs across the state of Texas. These jobs can be found at hospitals and at specialty health centers such as university medical centers or nursing homes. The salary for a phlebotomy technician in Texas is between $25,000 and $30,000, but this varies based on the city of the work, the type of clinic, and the amount of experience a technician has.
Choosing a Phlebotomy School
There are so many phlebotomy programs in Texas that it is necessary to be critical of each possible program. Some are better than others. Likewise, some prepare you well for the national test while others leave out critical parts of the training that you will need. It is always a good idea to make sure that your school is accredited. Before signing up with the school, compare the competencies that you’ll need to pass the test with the course work offered at the institution. If there are some areas that don’t seem to be covered, you should make sure that they are.
Talking with a representative from each institution can help you decide which school is the best fit for you. You will want to be sure to ask about the support you’ll be given.
Schools that offer extra practice or reviews for students who aren’t grasping parts of the material will prepare their students better for their future careers. The number or students per class is also a key fact. Those schools that have large classes may not offer their students enough one on one supervision. When class sizes are small, students have more access to help and can progress faster. Doing a good job in choosing a phlebotomy school takes time, but it’s a necessary step to succeeding in this career.
- Offers several program options in healthcare and wellness, skilled trades, and business.
- Provides career assistance services including resume and cover letter writing, interview prep, and professional partnerships with regional employers for employment opportunities.
- Classes start every month.
- Accredited by the Council on Occupational Education (COE), and the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) for the San Antonio branch.
- 5 campuses in Brownsville, Corpus Christi, McAllen, San Antonio, and Weslaco.
- Medical Administrative Assisting Technology
- Medical Assisting
- Dental Assisting
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Medical Billing Specialist
- Earn your Bachelor of Science of Healthcare Management degree online
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Program focuses on the business, management, and healthcare skills necessary for healthcare organizations to run smoothly
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Management
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management - Informatics
- Doctor of Management - Healthcare Management and Leadership (Executive Format)
- And more...
- Several nursing programs are available at the bachelor's, post-graduate, master's, and doctoral levels.
- Graduate-level specialization options include Nurse Educator, Family Nurse Practitioner, Nurse Administrator, and more.
- Nursing programs are available at many of the 11 campus locations across the United States.
- Nursing (BS)
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- Doctor of Business Administration: Healthcare Management