If you’re interested in becoming a part of the medical field without spending years in college, you may find phlebotomy training an ideal choice. Read below and learn how to become a phlebotomy technician or phlebotomist, as well as where you can find phlebotomy training in Wisconsin.
What Does Phlebotomy Training Entail?
Phlebotomy training, generally offered at vocational schools, technical colleges or community colleges, can usually be completed in less than a year. Most students can complete the training in 1 to 2 semesters. The training includes both classroom courses and lab studies. Students complete courses in subjects such as medical terminology, introduction to psychology, medical law and ethics, healthcare computing, healthcare customer service and basic lab skills. As part of the training, the student also completes a practicum course where he or she obtains hands-on training performing blood specimen collections and venipuncture techniques. According to Wisconsin law, any individual participating in clinical training must pass a criminal background check. Students may also be required to have health insurance and pass a health screening.
Although not a legal requirement, certification can help employment opportunities because it demonstrates knowledge and commitment in this field. Additionally, most employers prefer to hire phlebotomy technicians who are certified. Certification can be obtained by passing a certification exam through a certifying agency such as the American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians, National Center for Competency Testing, American Society of Clinical Pathologists, American Association of Medical Personnel and the American Medical Technologists.To be eligible to take the certification exam, candidates must meet the following requirements:
• Must have completed an accredited training program and have at least 100 successful phlebotomy collections or
• Must have at least one-year experience working in an accredited health setting as a donor technician or
• Must have completed an accredited LPN or RN program
The certification exam is a computer-based test given at a Pearson VUE testing center. Once you pass the exam, you’re given a certificate, which is generally valid for three years.
Career Outlook for Phlebotomy Technicians in Wisconsin
Phlebotomy technicians have very good career opportunities, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), who state that these professionals can expect an employment growth of 27% between 2012 and 2022. The BLS reported that as of May 2012, Wisconsin had 2,090 phlebotomy technicians, and they earned a mean annual wage of $30,950 – a figure very close to the nationwide wage of $30,910. The majority of phlebotomists work in hospitals, although they may also find work in clinics, blood donor centers and diagnostic laboratories.
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Veterinary Assisting
- Physical Therapy Aide
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
The lessons learned in your online courses can prepare you for whatever area of public health you’re interested in. Courses include the following:
- Public Health Biology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Health
- Health Policy
- Finance and Budget
- Health Informatics
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Public Health Law, Ethics and Policy Analysis
Our 100% onlineand CEPH-accredited MPH program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise — and your career — without having to put your life on hold.
- Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
- Earn your Bachelor of Science of Healthcare Management degree online
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Program focuses on the business, management, and healthcare skills necessary for healthcare organizations to run smoothly
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
More Phlebotomy Classes in Wisconsin
|Blackhawk Technical College||6004 S County Road G, Janesville, WI 53546||http://www.blackhawk.edu/HealthAndHumanServices/PhlebotomyTechnician.aspx|
|Lakeshore Technical College||1290 North Avenue, Cleveland, WI 53015||http://gotoltc.edu/areasofstudy/coursedescription.php?programID=195102&courseID=10510109|
|Madison Area Technical College||1701 Wright Street, Madison, WI 53704||http://madisoncollege.edu/phlebotomy-training|
|Mid-State Technical College||2600 West 5th Street, Marshfield, WI 54449||http://www.mstc.edu/phlebotomytechnician/index.htm|
|Milwaukee Area Technical College||700 W. State Street, Milwaukee, WI 53233||http://www.matc.edu/student/offerings/2012-2013/diplomas/phlebotomy.cfm|
|Moraine Park Technical College||235 North National Avenue, Fon du Lac, WI 54936||http://www.morainepark.edu/programs-and-courses/programs-of-study/Phlebotomy+Technician+Certificate/|
|Northcentral Technical College||1000 W. Campus Drive, Wausau, WI 54401||http://www.ntc.edu/certificates/health/995139|
|Northeast Wisconsin Technical College||2740 West Mason Street, Green Bay, WI 54307||http://www.nwtc.edu/academics/certificates/Pages/Phlebotomy.aspx|
|Waukesha County Technical College||800 Main St., Pewaukee, WI 53072||http://www.wctc.edu/programs_&_courses/nursing_&_allied_health/phlebotomy_technician/index.php|
|Western Technical College||400 Seventh Street North, La Crosse, WI 54601||http://www.westerntc.edu/programs/Program.aspx?PROGRAM_NBR=90513A|