If you’re interested in becoming a part of the medical field without spending years in college, you may find phlebotomy training an ideal choice. Read below and learn how to become a phlebotomy technician or phlebotomist, as well as where you can find phlebotomy training in Wisconsin.
What Does Phlebotomy Training Entail?
Phlebotomy training, generally offered at vocational schools, technical colleges or community colleges, can usually be completed in less than a year. Most students can complete the training in 1 to 2 semesters. The training includes both classroom courses and lab studies. Students complete courses in subjects such as medical terminology, introduction to psychology, medical law and ethics, healthcare computing, healthcare customer service and basic lab skills. As part of the training, the student also completes a practicum course where he or she obtains hands-on training performing blood specimen collections and venipuncture techniques. According to Wisconsin law, any individual participating in clinical training must pass a criminal background check. Students may also be required to have health insurance and pass a health screening.
Although not a legal requirement, certification can help employment opportunities because it demonstrates knowledge and commitment in this field. Additionally, most employers prefer to hire phlebotomy technicians who are certified. Certification can be obtained by passing a certification exam through a certifying agency such as the American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians, National Center for Competency Testing, American Society of Clinical Pathologists, American Association of Medical Personnel and the American Medical Technologists.To be eligible to take the certification exam, candidates must meet the following requirements:
• Must have completed an accredited training program and have at least 100 successful phlebotomy collections or
• Must have at least one-year experience working in an accredited health setting as a donor technician or
• Must have completed an accredited LPN or RN program
The certification exam is a computer-based test given at a Pearson VUE testing center. Once you pass the exam, you’re given a certificate, which is generally valid for three years.
Career Outlook for Phlebotomy Technicians in Wisconsin
Phlebotomy technicians have very good career opportunities, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), who state that these professionals can expect an employment growth of 27% between 2012 and 2022. The BLS reported that as of May 2012, Wisconsin had 2,090 phlebotomy technicians, and they earned a mean annual wage of $30,950 – a figure very close to the nationwide wage of $30,910. The majority of phlebotomists work in hospitals, although they may also find work in clinics, blood donor centers and diagnostic laboratories.
- Veterinary Assistant
- Pharmacy Technician
- Medical Coding and Billing
- Looking for an Online Healthcare Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
MPH@UNC is the online Master of Public Health (MPH) program from the University of North Carolina’s Gillings School of Global Public Health, which is ranked the No. 1 public school of public health and No. 2 school of public health on U.S. News’ list, most recently published in 2015. The program offers a Leadership in Practice concentration and can be completed on a full-time or part-time basis. GRE, GMAT or MCAT scores are required.
At Post University, we believe you shouldn’t have to put your life on hold to further your education. That’s why we offer our degree and certificate programs in a highly interactive online format that emphasizes flexibility, convenience, and support.
Located just steps from the U.S. Capital, the George Washington University is uniquely positioned at the core of U.S. government, policy and law. GW students and faculty benefit from an unparalleled opportunity to study and work alongside leaders in every discipline. Whether on campus or online, you too can take part in the interchanges that shape our community and the world.
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Do you have entrepreneurial visions to advance your career in the business world? Learn about the options available at GCU.
- Earn a competitive bachelor's or master's degree in the areas of business administration, business analytics, accounting, marketing and more.
- Many of our business degrees have attained elite accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Business Schools & Programs (ACBSP).
- GCU nurtures the startup spirit, propelling your entrepreneurial visions on a powerful platform with opportunities to help you thrive.
- Pursue a next-generation education with an online program or join Grand Canyon University's vibrant and growing campus community in beautiful Phoenix, Arizona.
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
More Phlebotomy Classes in Wisconsin
|Blackhawk Technical College||6004 S County Road G, Janesville, WI 53546||http://www.blackhawk.edu/HealthAndHumanServices/PhlebotomyTechnician.aspx|
|Lakeshore Technical College||1290 North Avenue, Cleveland, WI 53015||http://gotoltc.edu/areasofstudy/coursedescription.php?programID=195102&courseID=10510109|
|Madison Area Technical College||1701 Wright Street, Madison, WI 53704||http://madisoncollege.edu/phlebotomy-training|
|Mid-State Technical College||2600 West 5th Street, Marshfield, WI 54449||http://www.mstc.edu/phlebotomytechnician/index.htm|
|Milwaukee Area Technical College||700 W. State Street, Milwaukee, WI 53233||http://www.matc.edu/student/offerings/2012-2013/diplomas/phlebotomy.cfm|
|Moraine Park Technical College||235 North National Avenue, Fon du Lac, WI 54936||http://www.morainepark.edu/programs-and-courses/programs-of-study/Phlebotomy+Technician+Certificate/|
|Northcentral Technical College||1000 W. Campus Drive, Wausau, WI 54401||http://www.ntc.edu/certificates/health/995139|
|Northeast Wisconsin Technical College||2740 West Mason Street, Green Bay, WI 54307||http://www.nwtc.edu/academics/certificates/Pages/Phlebotomy.aspx|
|Waukesha County Technical College||800 Main St., Pewaukee, WI 53072||http://www.wctc.edu/programs_&_courses/nursing_&_allied_health/phlebotomy_technician/index.php|
|Western Technical College||400 Seventh Street North, La Crosse, WI 54601||http://www.westerntc.edu/programs/Program.aspx?PROGRAM_NBR=90513A|