If you’re interested in becoming a part of the medical field without spending years in college, you may find phlebotomy training an ideal choice. Read below and learn how to become a phlebotomy technician or phlebotomist, as well as where you can find phlebotomy training in Wisconsin.
What Does Phlebotomy Training Entail?
Phlebotomy training, generally offered at vocational schools, technical colleges or community colleges, can usually be completed in less than a year. Most students can complete the training in 1 to 2 semesters. The training includes both classroom courses and lab studies. Students complete courses in subjects such as medical terminology, introduction to psychology, medical law and ethics, healthcare computing, healthcare customer service and basic lab skills. As part of the training, the student also completes a practicum course where he or she obtains hands-on training performing blood specimen collections and venipuncture techniques. According to Wisconsin law, any individual participating in clinical training must pass a criminal background check. Students may also be required to have health insurance and pass a health screening.
Although not a legal requirement, certification can help employment opportunities because it demonstrates knowledge and commitment in this field. Additionally, most employers prefer to hire phlebotomy technicians who are certified. Certification can be obtained by passing a certification exam through a certifying agency such as the American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians, National Center for Competency Testing, American Society of Clinical Pathologists, American Association of Medical Personnel and the American Medical Technologists.To be eligible to take the certification exam, candidates must meet the following requirements:
• Must have completed an accredited training program and have at least 100 successful phlebotomy collections or
• Must have at least one-year experience working in an accredited health setting as a donor technician or
• Must have completed an accredited LPN or RN program
The certification exam is a computer-based test given at a Pearson VUE testing center. Once you pass the exam, you’re given a certificate, which is generally valid for three years.
Career Outlook for Phlebotomy Technicians in Wisconsin
Phlebotomy technicians have very good career opportunities, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), who state that these professionals can expect an employment growth of 27% between 2012 and 2022. The BLS reported that as of May 2012, Wisconsin had 2,090 phlebotomy technicians, and they earned a mean annual wage of $30,950 – a figure very close to the nationwide wage of $30,910. The majority of phlebotomists work in hospitals, although they may also find work in clinics, blood donor centers and diagnostic laboratories.
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Medical Assisting
- Associate of Science in Health Science - Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- And more...
Penn Foster College
Penn Foster College offers a complete learning experience for busy adults looking to advance their education around their schedule. With Penn Foster College, you can earn your degree or undergraduate certificate online and at a pace that’s right for you.
Here’s why thousands of students have chosen Penn Foster College:
• Accreditation —Penn Foster College is nationally accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC) and licensed by the Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education.
- Veterinary Technician (Associate)
At Animal Behavior College (ABC), we're dedicated to helping animal lovers pursue animal careers. Owned and operated by experienced pet industry experts, our school offers hands-on animal career training experience. We offer flexible scheduling and the opportunity to study from home for a portion of the program. For graduates, we also offer the best job placement opportunities available in the nation.
- Veterinary Assistant
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
- MS Sport Management
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's Healthcare Management
More Phlebotomy Classes in Wisconsin
|Blackhawk Technical College||6004 S County Road G, Janesville, WI 53546||http://www.blackhawk.edu/HealthAndHumanServices/PhlebotomyTechnician.aspx|
|Lakeshore Technical College||1290 North Avenue, Cleveland, WI 53015||http://gotoltc.edu/areasofstudy/coursedescription.php?programID=195102&courseID=10510109|
|Madison Area Technical College||1701 Wright Street, Madison, WI 53704||http://madisoncollege.edu/phlebotomy-training|
|Mid-State Technical College||2600 West 5th Street, Marshfield, WI 54449||http://www.mstc.edu/phlebotomytechnician/index.htm|
|Milwaukee Area Technical College||700 W. State Street, Milwaukee, WI 53233||http://www.matc.edu/student/offerings/2012-2013/diplomas/phlebotomy.cfm|
|Moraine Park Technical College||235 North National Avenue, Fon du Lac, WI 54936||http://www.morainepark.edu/programs-and-courses/programs-of-study/Phlebotomy+Technician+Certificate/|
|Northcentral Technical College||1000 W. Campus Drive, Wausau, WI 54401||http://www.ntc.edu/certificates/health/995139|
|Northeast Wisconsin Technical College||2740 West Mason Street, Green Bay, WI 54307||http://www.nwtc.edu/academics/certificates/Pages/Phlebotomy.aspx|
|Waukesha County Technical College||800 Main St., Pewaukee, WI 53072||http://www.wctc.edu/programs_&_courses/nursing_&_allied_health/phlebotomy_technician/index.php|
|Western Technical College||400 Seventh Street North, La Crosse, WI 54601||http://www.westerntc.edu/programs/Program.aspx?PROGRAM_NBR=90513A|