If you’re interested in becoming a part of the medical field without spending years in college, you may find phlebotomy training an ideal choice. Read below and learn how to become a phlebotomy technician or phlebotomist, as well as where you can find phlebotomy training in Wisconsin.
What Does Phlebotomy Training Entail?
Phlebotomy training, generally offered at vocational schools, technical colleges or community colleges, can usually be completed in less than a year. Most students can complete the training in 1 to 2 semesters. The training includes both classroom courses and lab studies. Students complete courses in subjects such as medical terminology, introduction to psychology, medical law and ethics, healthcare computing, healthcare customer service and basic lab skills. As part of the training, the student also completes a practicum course where he or she obtains hands-on training performing blood specimen collections and venipuncture techniques. According to Wisconsin law, any individual participating in clinical training must pass a criminal background check. Students may also be required to have health insurance and pass a health screening.
Although not a legal requirement, certification can help employment opportunities because it demonstrates knowledge and commitment in this field. Additionally, most employers prefer to hire phlebotomy technicians who are certified. Certification can be obtained by passing a certification exam through a certifying agency such as the American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians, National Center for Competency Testing, American Society of Clinical Pathologists, American Association of Medical Personnel and the American Medical Technologists.To be eligible to take the certification exam, candidates must meet the following requirements:
• Must have completed an accredited training program and have at least 100 successful phlebotomy collections or
• Must have at least one-year experience working in an accredited health setting as a donor technician or
• Must have completed an accredited LPN or RN program
The certification exam is a computer-based test given at a Pearson VUE testing center. Once you pass the exam, you’re given a certificate, which is generally valid for three years.
Career Outlook for Phlebotomy Technicians in Wisconsin
Phlebotomy technicians have very good career opportunities, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), who state that these professionals can expect an employment growth of 27% between 2012 and 2022. The BLS reported that as of May 2012, Wisconsin had 2,090 phlebotomy technicians, and they earned a mean annual wage of $30,950 – a figure very close to the nationwide wage of $30,910. The majority of phlebotomists work in hospitals, although they may also find work in clinics, blood donor centers and diagnostic laboratories.
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
Ultimate Medical Academy Educates Future Healthcare Professionals
You bring your goals and motivation to UMA, and we will provide you the education and the support to help make you a success! Even if you haven’t been serious about your career before, we can help boost your confidence and prepare you for a career in healthcare.
- Diploma - Medical Administrative Assistant
- A.S. - Medical Billing & Coding
- Diploma - Medical Billing & Coding
- And more...
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Master of Public Health
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- And more...
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's Healthcare Management
More Phlebotomy Classes in Wisconsin
|Blackhawk Technical College||6004 S County Road G, Janesville, WI 53546||http://www.blackhawk.edu/HealthAndHumanServices/PhlebotomyTechnician.aspx|
|Lakeshore Technical College||1290 North Avenue, Cleveland, WI 53015||http://gotoltc.edu/areasofstudy/coursedescription.php?programID=195102&courseID=10510109|
|Madison Area Technical College||1701 Wright Street, Madison, WI 53704||http://madisoncollege.edu/phlebotomy-training|
|Mid-State Technical College||2600 West 5th Street, Marshfield, WI 54449||http://www.mstc.edu/phlebotomytechnician/index.htm|
|Milwaukee Area Technical College||700 W. State Street, Milwaukee, WI 53233||http://www.matc.edu/student/offerings/2012-2013/diplomas/phlebotomy.cfm|
|Moraine Park Technical College||235 North National Avenue, Fon du Lac, WI 54936||http://www.morainepark.edu/programs-and-courses/programs-of-study/Phlebotomy+Technician+Certificate/|
|Northcentral Technical College||1000 W. Campus Drive, Wausau, WI 54401||http://www.ntc.edu/certificates/health/995139|
|Northeast Wisconsin Technical College||2740 West Mason Street, Green Bay, WI 54307||http://www.nwtc.edu/academics/certificates/Pages/Phlebotomy.aspx|
|Waukesha County Technical College||800 Main St., Pewaukee, WI 53072||http://www.wctc.edu/programs_&_courses/nursing_&_allied_health/phlebotomy_technician/index.php|
|Western Technical College||400 Seventh Street North, La Crosse, WI 54601||http://www.westerntc.edu/programs/Program.aspx?PROGRAM_NBR=90513A|