Phlebotomy, also called venipuncture, is the discipline of drawing blood from a patient using medical needles for the purpose of analyzing the blood’s components. Physicians will use this information as part of an overall workup to help determine a patient’s medical condition, assess nutritional deficiencies, or identify genetic markers. As such, drawing blood is one of the primary skills that all doctors and nurses learn in their training programs. A trained phlebotomy technician, also called a phlebotomist, is able to relieve doctors and nurses by performing this important task for them.
Phlebotomy training programs in Wyoming follow standardized protocol set by the American Medical Technologists association. Coursework in phlebotomy can be pursued through vocational programs, community colleges, or teaching hospitals. The trainee must have at least a high school education to be employed in the field. They will complete a six week course in towards a basic certification that allows them to proceed with a 15 week training program after which they may pursue a diploma in the field if desired. A phlebotomist can work in a variety of settings including hospitals, medical offices or laboratories.
If you are in high school and interested in a career as a phlebotomist, contact your guidance counselor to see if there is a certified vocational program you can attend. If you are a high school graduate, contact your local hospital or nearest community college about certification and training programs in your area.
Requirements for Certification and Training
Most phlebotomy training programs in Wyoming follow the same basic coursework for certification and training. Coursework involves taking a lecture based class followed by a hands-on practicum experience. Typically the program can be completed within one semester.
Employment Opportunities for Phlebotomists in Wyoming
Increased demand for phlebotomists in the medical field has created strong employment opportunities. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics indicates that phlebotomists earn between $13.00-$16.00 per hour nationally. In Wyoming, the average salary can vary by region but sources put it somewhere around $34,000 annually which makes it a competitive career for people to pursue.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
Get personalized attention with UMA.
One-on-one tutoring, pre-interview coaching, job search assistance, alumni services-they’re all included in Ultimate Medical Academy’s competitively priced tuition. As a nationally accredited school, we provide quality career training online and at our campus in Clearwater, Florida. Let’s talk about your needs, your career goals and how UMA can help you succeed.
- Diploma - Medical Administrative Assistant
- A.S. - Medical Billing & Coding
- Diploma - Medical Billing & Coding
- And more...
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Master of Public Health
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- Students already licensed as registered nurses can complete RN-BSN program in as few as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
- Current RNs can choose from RN to BSN or RN to MSN online programs
- RN to BSN program offers courses in illness and disease management, holistic professional nursing and more
- RN to MSN specializations include Family Nurse Practitioner, Adult-Gerontology, and more
- Courses help develop students’ assessment, patient care, and community outreach skills
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- And more...
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
More Phlebotomy Classes in Wyoming
|Casper College||125 College Drive, Casper, WY 82601||http://www.caspercollege.edu/medical_lab_tech/index.html|
|Central Wyoming College||2660 Peck Avenue, Riverton, WY 82501||http://www.cwc.edu/healthcare-training|
|Northwest College||231 West 6th Street, Powell, WY 82435||http://www.northwestcollege.edu/nursing/courses/detail.dot?id=202abdf4-bcc9-474d-a021-49347a764eb7|
|Western Wyoming Community College||2500 College Drive, Rock Springs, WY 82901||http://www.wwcc.cc.wy.us/|