- Proper waste disposal
- Legal issues
- Basic laboratory safety
- Customer service
- Basic information about blood
- Basic medical terminology
- Infection control guidelines
- Blood sampling procedures
Knowing Where to EnrollYou have many options when it comes to getting your phlebotomy training online. Remember, the school or training agency that you choose to complete your phlebotomy classes through needs to be accredited. The best school for you to enroll in will be determined by your preferences, needs, past educational experience and more. The ins-and-outs of the exact classes that you have to take are determined by your past work experience. For example, some phlebotomy training programs will require you to complete an externship if you don't have at least six months of work-related experience.
Requirements that You Must MeetIf you want to work in the state of California as a phlebotomist, you will have to become both certified and earn a state license. To acquire these two things, you will need to have a high school diploma or GED. In addition, you will need the following:
- Complete 50 successful venipunctures
- Complete 10 successful skin punctures
- Complete 40 hours of clinical experience
- Depending on your level of experience, you may or may not have to complete 20 hours of basic classes, 40 hours of practical training and 20 hours of advanced courses
Completing your phlebotomy training online is very advantageous. You can complete each of your courses from the comfort of your home, allowing you to tend to any personal-, family- and work-related duties. Even though your classes can be completed online, you need to realize that to earn certification, you will be required to do live blood draws. Because of this, either while you complete your studies or soon after, make sure you land an externship to gain experience in conducting blood draws.