Phlebotomists are professionals who draw blood for a wide variety of reasons, including transfusions, blood donations, research or medical tests. Typically, phlebotomists enter this occupation with a postsecondary non-degree certificate from a phlebotomy program. There are many community colleges, technical schools and vocational schools in Delaware that offer a phlebotomy program. Most phlebotomy training programs can be completed in less than two months.
Phlebotomy schools in Delaware include both a didactic component and a clinical component. Classroom instruction generally takes at least 40 hours, and the clinical component requires a practicum in a real healthcare setting, such as a hospital or medical center. Today, schools use venipuncture training models with four or two veins of different sizes for teaching phlebotomy. These lifelike models include palpable veins embedded into the semi-transparent model. With this type of hands-on instruction, students are better prepared for the clinical component of the phlebotomy training curriculum.
Phlebotomy training schools in Delaware that follow the standards of the Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute require a minimum of 100 unaided blood specimen collections, including both capillary and venipuncture collections. Upon completion of the phlebotomy program, students are eligible to take the national certification examination administered by the American Medical Technologists, American Society for Clinical Pathology and the American Credentialing Agency organizations.
Job Outlook, Work Environment and Salary for Phlebotomists in Delaware
Phlebotomists work mainly in doctor’s offices, medical and diagnostic laboratories, hospitals and blood donor centers. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the job outlook is positive for these professionals. Employment is projected to grow 27 percent through 2022. Blood analysis is an essential function in hospitals and many other medical venues. As doctors and other allied healthcare professionals will need blood work for diagnosis and analysis, the demand for phlebotomists will remain strong.
The BLS also reports that the median annual salary for phlebotomists in May 2012 was $29,000. The low 10 percent earned less than $21,000, and the top 10 percent earned over $40,000. Most phlebotomists are employed full time in this field. Those who work in hospitals are typically expected to work weekends and nights.
Advance your career at Dawn Career Institute. Gain the specialized knowledge and skills to help prepare you for a new career quickly and conveniently.
- Medical Assisting Online
- Medical Assisting
- Nursing Assistant
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
- Professional Medical Assistant
- Professional Medical Assistant Plus
- Dental Assistant
- And more...
All-State Career - Healthcare Division is committed to providing quality training for students just like you. Financial aid is available for students who qualify. * Programs vary by location * Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assisting
- Expanded Functions Dental Assisting
- Medical Billing and Coding
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Find Online Schools. 100% Online Accredited Courses
- Get Matched to Programs In A Few Clicks!
- Earn an Affordable Degree from Home at your own pace
- Get College info today. Its Free and Easy!
- View Certificates, Associates or Bachelors Degree Programs in Medical Assisting Near YOU!
- Free Information for Medical Assisting, Healthcare Administration, Medical Billing, Coding & Transcription Degree Programs & MORE.
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements & Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs.
- Accredited, Flexible and Affordable Medical Assisting Programs that Fit Your Time & Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
More Phlebotomy Classes in Delaware
|Dawn Career Institute||3700 Lancaster Pike, Wilmington, DE 19805||http://www.dawncareerinstitute.edu/phlebotomy_technician|
|Delaware Technical Community College||Terry Campus- 100 Campus Drive Dover, DE 19904||https://www.dtcc.edu/|
|Tri-State Technical School||106 E. Market Street, Laurel, DE19956||http://www.tristatetechnicalschool.com/|
|3707 N Market St Wilmington, DE 19802||http://www.explore-schools.com/form/cdm/?campaign_id=12540351|
|Columbus State Community College||5100 Cornerstone Dr, Delaware, OH 43015||http://www.cscc.edu/academics/departments/phlebotomy/|
|Harris School of Business||97 Commerce Way #105 Dover, DE 19904||http://www.trade-schools.net/harris-school-of-business/default.asp|
|Harris School of Business||1413 Foulk Rd, Wilmington, DE 19803||http://www.trade-schools.net/harris-school-of-business/default.asp|
|CAMTECH||563 N Hall St Seaford, DE 19973,||http://www.camtechedu.com/index.html|