Phlebotomy is the profession of drawing blood from an individual for clinical and diagnostic use. It takes great skill and proper training to accurately puncture a vein with a needle and draw the blood. A phlebotomy professional will also record and enter patient data in computer systems. The following information lists the cities in Indiana that offer phlebotomy training, what is required for training, and the job outlook for this profession.
Requirements for Phlebotomy Training in Indiana
Most phlebotomy training programs last approximately 9 to 12 weeks, or the equivalent of one semester. A few last longer. The wide range of times to complete a program may be due to the fact that the amount of hours and days each week the student is in class varies within each program. Programs often consist of a combination of classroom work and actual clinical experience.
Throughout their training students should learn different methods of drawing blood and the safety standards associated with these procedures. They will also learn about basic medical terminology, blood cultures, the different equipment needed for their profession, and understand OSHA safety rules. At the end of most training courses, the school will issue the student a certificate of completion in phlebotomy. Although this is all that’s required to work in the field of phlebotomy, students may go on to take the exam that will give them the credentials, Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT). This certification is not required in Indiana, but most employers look for employees with the certification. It would definitely be a bonus when an individual is seeking employment.
Outlook for Phlebotomy in Indiana
Phlebotomy technicians will most likely find employment in hospitals. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics the need for all types of lab technicians, including technicians in the field of phlebotomy, is expected to increase by 15 percent through 2020. The starting pay for a phlebotomist is approximately $20,000 to $25,000 a year. That averages to about $11 to $13 per hour. After gaining experience and more education in the field, a technician may possibly earn up to $40,000 annually. The pay in Indiana is about the same as other states. This is actually a bonus since the cost of living in Indiana is much lower than most other states. Because Indiana’s unemployment rate is slightly higher than the national average, it may take a little longer to secure initial employment.
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
Harrison College prides itself on truly knowing our students -- their lives and families, obstacles and motivations and their dreams and goals. We also know their potential -- that's why for more than 100 years, our mission has been to provide a supportive environment, with the expectation that their success also benefits their families, friends and communities. That's the Harrison Difference.
- Medical Assisting Diploma
- Medical Office Assistant
- Medical Billing and Coding Diploma
- Apply At Fortis College Today! Explore the Career Programs.
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Assistant Technician (Associate in Specialized Technology Degree)
- And more...
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Dental Assistant
- Medical Billing and Coding Specialist - Diploma
- View Certificates, Associates or Bachelors Degree Programs in Medical Assisting Near YOU!
- Free Information for Medical Assisting, Healthcare Administration, Medical Billing, Coding & Transcription Degree Programs & MORE.
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements & Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs.
- Accredited, Flexible and Affordable Medical Assisting Programs that Fit Your Time & Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Earn your Bachelor of Science of Healthcare Management degree online
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Program focuses on the business, management, and healthcare skills necessary for healthcare organizations to run smoothly
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance
- We're now Non-Profit.
More Phlebotomy Classes in Indiana
|ABP, Inc.||P.O. Box 127 Granger, IN 46530||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|Center for Phlebotomy Education’s School of Phlebotomy||1304 N. Old Hwy 135, Ste. 103 Corydon, IN 47112||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|In Training Inc. College of Adult Education||1330 E. Commercial Ave Lowell, IN 46356||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|Indiana University Northwest||3400 Broadway Gary, IN 46408-1197||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|Ivy Tech Community College||Bloomington Campus-200 Daniels Way Bloomington, IN 47404||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|Ivy Tech Community College||North Meridian Campus-50 West Fall Creek Parkway North Drive Indianapolis, IN 46208||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|Ivy Tech Community College||Columbus Campus- 4475 Central Avenue Columbus, IN 47203-1868||http://www.vc.edu/certificates-diplomas/diploma-programs.cfm|
|Ivy Tech Community College||Anderson Campus- 104 West 53rd Street Anderson, IN 46013||http://www.ivytech.edu/health-care-support/|
|MedTech College||Greenwood Campus- 1500 American Way Greenwood, IN 46143||http://www.medtech.edu/programs/short-term-medical-courses/phlebotomy-training|
|MJS College School of Nursing and Business||8315 Virginia Street, Suite 16 Merrillville, IN 46410||http://mjs-university.net/Phlebotomy%20page.html|
|National College||6060 Castleway West Drive Indianapolis, IN 46250||http://www.national-college.edu/academic-programs/medical/phlebotomy-diploma.lasso|
|Vincennes University||Jasper Campus-850 College Avenue Jasper, IN 47546||http://www.vinu.edu/content/phlebotomy-technician|