Phlebotomy is the science of drawing blood from patients. The blood is then analyzed within a clinical laboratory setting. It is necessary for students to know safe blood handling techniques, venipuncture procedures, safety protocols, blood draws, sanitation protocols, medical terminology, effective patient and professional communication, and preparation of samples. A basic knowledge of human anatomy and physiology is often required, either from another college institution or high school.
Jacksonville, Florida, contains many schools for students to attend. Florida Medical Training Institute at 8102 Blanding Blvd offers a 12-week, 200-hour certificate program at a tuition of $1,363, with 80 hours of in-class learning and 120 hours of clinical experience. Students must be at least 18 years old and have a high school diploma or GED. Fortis College at 5995-2 University Blvd. offers an eight-month course that combines ECG (EKG), Phlebotomy and Lab Assistant programs that awards students with two national certifications. North Florida Medical Institute at 8824 Arlington Expressway is a two-day phlebotomy training class that covers medical terminology and blood draws, as well as proper safety procedures.
Those pursuing a career in phlebotomy in Jacksonville will be glad to know this occupation has a higher than national average projection in terms of job growth, expected to grow by more than 25 percent between now and 2020. Students may choose to work in area hospitals, blood donor banks, health clinics, home health care agencies, physicians' offices or pharmaceutical companies. The median salary for U.S. phlebotomists, says the Bureau of Labor Statistics, is approximately $30,000 per year. Florida ranks third in the country's highest employment level in this occupation, employing 5,470 phlebotomists at an annual mean wage of 27,310.
Matching School Ads
Train for the real-world skills that help you launch a successful technology or healthcare career with a degree, or diploma from Florida Career College.
- Medical Assistant Technician (10-Month diploma program)
- Patient Care Technician (10-month diploma program)
- Dental Assistant (10-Month diploma program)
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
- Find Online Schools. 100% Online Accredited Courses
- Get Matched to Programs In A Few Clicks!
- Earn an Affordable Degree from Home at your own pace
- Get College info today. Its Free and Easy!