Phlebotomy is the science of drawing blood from patients. The blood is then analyzed within a clinical laboratory setting. It is necessary for students to know safe blood handling techniques, venipuncture procedures, safety protocols, blood draws, sanitation protocols, medical terminology, effective patient and professional communication, and preparation of samples. A basic knowledge of human anatomy and physiology is often required, either from another college institution or high school.
Jacksonville, Florida, contains many schools for students to attend. Florida Medical Training Institute at 8102 Blanding Blvd offers a 12-week, 200-hour certificate program at a tuition of $1,363, with 80 hours of in-class learning and 120 hours of clinical experience. Students must be at least 18 years old and have a high school diploma or GED. Fortis College at 5995-2 University Blvd. offers an eight-month course that combines ECG (EKG), Phlebotomy and Lab Assistant programs that awards students with two national certifications. North Florida Medical Institute at 8824 Arlington Expressway is a two-day phlebotomy training class that covers medical terminology and blood draws, as well as proper safety procedures.
Those pursuing a career in phlebotomy in Jacksonville will be glad to know this occupation has a higher than national average projection in terms of job growth, expected to grow by more than 25 percent between now and 2020. Students may choose to work in area hospitals, blood donor banks, health clinics, home health care agencies, physicians' offices or pharmaceutical companies. The median salary for U.S. phlebotomists, says the Bureau of Labor Statistics, is approximately $30,000 per year. Florida ranks third in the country's highest employment level in this occupation, employing 5,470 phlebotomists at an annual mean wage of 27,310.
- Offers programs in Massage Therapy, Allied Health and Nursing
- 100% online classes for as long as needed during required social period
- Offers practical training, and instruction from industry professionals
- Career Services
- Clinical Medical Assistant
- Clinical and Administrative Medical Assistant
- Medical Billing and Coding
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assisting
- Dental Assisting
- Medical Billing and Coding
Train for the real-world skills that help you launch a successful technology or healthcare career with a degree, or diploma from Florida Career College.
- Medical Assistant Technician (10-Month diploma program)
- Patient Care Technician (10-month diploma program)
- Dental Assistant (10-Month diploma program)
- Health Care Bachelor's and Master's Degrees Online From Grand Canyon University
- Develop entry-level skills, prepare to switch to a health care career or strengthen your current skill set.
- Comprehensive lessons & valuable classwork to prepare health care students for their future careers.
- Online classes provide you the flexibility to earn your health care degree from anywhere.
- Curriculum designed by health care industry experts.
- GCU's College of Nursing and Health Care Professions has a mission to promote health & wellness for all patients.
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
About City College
Since 1984, City College, a private not-for-profit university, has been dedicated to providing a hands-on, practical and relevant college education to students in Florida and online. Our mission is to educate and train students in their chosen major, in preparation for employment in specific career fields. Whether you are a recent high school graduate, an adult thinking about returning to college, or a military veteran seeking a new civilian career, the City College Office of Admissions will help you make the right choice for your unique situation and begin a rewarding new career.
We offer our students an atmosphere of caring and respect. At City College you’re not just a student, you’re family.
- A.S. - A.H. - Medical Assisting
- A.S. - A.H. - Medical Office Admin/Billing and Coding
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
Trident University International provides an exceptional online educational experience for its students – diverse adult learners including current and former members of the military family. Adhering to the highest standards of academic excellence, faculty and staff foster a learning community where students develop critical thinking and problem solving skills to enhance their lives and advance their careers.
- Health Sciences (Ph.D.)
- Certificate in Medical Coding and Billing
- Find Online Schools. 100% Online Accredited Courses
- Get Matched to Programs In A Few Clicks!
- Earn an Affordable Degree from Home at your own pace
- Get College info today. Its Free and Easy!