Also known as venipuncture, phlebotomy is the surgical puncture of a capillary or vein in order to draw blood from a patient. The blood sample is prepared for laboratory testing, and it is essential that the sample is not contaminated in any way. With certified phlebotomy training, aspiring phlebotomists learn the methods for patient preparation and the proper handling of blood samples to ensure the integrity of the sample. Phlebotomists play a vital role in the identification and treatment of serious illnesses, such as anemia, leukemia and high cholesterol levels. In addition to the identification of illnesses, phlebotomists may draw blood for blood donations and blood transfusions.
Those seeking phlebotomy certification in Kentucky can easily find phlebotomy programs at community colleges and vocational schools in major cities. The ATA College in Louisville has a 10-month phlebotomy training program that includes lab work, clinical experience and small-group instruction. Phlebotomy classes include anatomy and physiology. Other topics include maintenance of sterile work environments, patient relations and venipuncture.
National College has campuses in Richmond, Pikeville, Louisville, Lexington, Florence and Danville that offer a phlebotomy training program. This college offers blended curriculum with clinical externship placement, labs and lectures. The curriculum is comprehensive and covers basic phlebotomy procedures, assembly of equipment, how to maintain a sterile environment, how to take vital signs and the following of practices and safety standards within the phlebotomy field. Students graduate with a diploma in phlebotomy and are prepared for entry-level positions as phlebotomists.
The Medical Institute of Kentucky offers a combined phlebotomy technician and EKG technician program. Campus locations include the major cities of Florence, Louisville and Lexington. The program can be completed in just nine weeks, and both day and evening phlebotomy classes are offered for convenience. Upon completion of the program, students are eligible to sit the certification examination by the National Healthcare Association to become a certified phlebotomy technician.
Although admittance into a phlebotomy training program may vary from school to school, typical requirements include proof of high school transcripts or GED, proof of required immunizations and the passing of a criminal background check. It’s best to contact the individual school for its specific requirements.
Work Environment, Job Outlook and Salary for Phlebotomists
Phlebotomists work in a wide range of medical settings, including blood testing laboratories, hospitals, doctors’ offices, medical centers, outpatient treatment centers and blood donation centers. Most work full time. In addition to taking blood samples in a safe and sanitary manner, these professionals also work closely with patients to help quell the fears of giving blood.
The job outlook for phlebotomists is positive, and the demand for phlebotomists will continue to grow. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projects a growth rate of over 20 percent throughout 2020 for this field. This growth rate is above average when compared to other industries. The BLS also reports that the average median wage for phlebotomists is $29,000. The upper 10 percent earn over $40,000, and the lower 10 percent earn $20,000.
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management - Informatics
- And more...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- MBA - Healthcare Management
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master in Business Administration - Health Services Administration
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MS in Exercise Science: Nutrition
- MS in Exercise Science: Community Physical Activity
- Master of Science: Healthcare Administration
- And more...
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
The lessons learned in your online courses can prepare you for whatever area of public health you’re interested in. Courses include the following:
- Public Health Biology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Health
- Health Policy
- Finance and Budget
- Health Informatics
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Public Health Law, Ethics and Policy Analysis
Our 100% onlineand CEPH-accredited MPH program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise — and your career — without having to put your life on hold.
- Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
More Phlebotomy Classes in Kentucky
|Ashland Community and Technical College||1400 College Dr Ashland, KY 41101-3617||http://ashland.kctcs.edu/en/workforce_solutions/programs/phlebotomy.aspx|
|ATA College||101880 Linn Station Road Suite a-200 Louisville, KY 40223||http://www.ata.edu/programs/phl.aspx|
|Big Sandy Community and Technical College||1 Bert T. Combs Drive Prestonburg, KY 41653||http://bigsandy.kctcs.edu/workforce_solutions|
|Bluegrass Community and Technical College||470 Cooper Drive Lexington, KY 40506-0235||http://www.bluegrass.kctcs.edu/en/AH/Phlebotomy.aspx|
|Campbellsville University||1 University Dr. Campbellsville, KY 42718||http://www.campbellsville.edu/phlebotomy|
|Emergency Medical Training Professionals||1141 Red Mile Road Suite 101 Lexington, KY 40504||http://emtpky.com/phlebotomy|
|Jefferson Community and Technical College ||109 East Broadway Louisville, KY 40202||http://jefferson.kctcs.edu/en/academics/programs_of_study/phlebotomy.aspx|
|Kentucky Health Training, LLC.||Lexington Location- 343 Walker Av. Suite 204 Lexington, KY 40504||http://www.khtnow.com/programs|
|Lincoln College of Technology||8095 Connector Drive Florence, KY 41042||http://www.lincolnedu.com/careers/health-sciences/phlebotomy|
|Maysville Community and Technical College||1755 U.S. Highway 68 Maysville, KY 41056||http://maysville.kctcs.edu/|
|MedTech College||McGrathiana Parkway Lexington, KY 40511||http://www.medtech.edu/programs/short-term-medical-courses/phlebotomy-training|
|National College||Pikeville Campus-50 National College Boulevard Pikeville, KY 41501||http://www.national-college.edu/academic-programs/medical/phlebotomy-diploma.lasso|
|Owensboro Community and Technical College||4800 New Hartford Road Owensboro, KY 42303||http://www.octc.kctcs.edu/|
|Phlebotomy Concepts||305 W. Broadway Ste105 Louisville, KY 40202||http://phlebotomyconcepts.tripod.com/index.html|
|Spencerian College||1575 Winchester Road Lexington, KY 40505||http://www.spencerian.edu/lexington/highschool/pro-phlebotomy.asp|
|The Medical Institute of Kentucky||Lexington Campus-2720 Old Rosebud Road Suite 230 Lexington, KY 40509||http://www.tmiky.com/medical_careers/Medical-Career-Training-Programs-KY-page#Phlebotomy%20Technician2|
|The Medical Institute of Kentucky||Louisville Campus-215 South Hurstbourne Parkway Suite 201 Louisville, KY 40222||http://www.tmiky.com/medical_careers/Medical-Career-Training-Programs-KY-page#Phlebotomy%20Technician2|
|The Medical Institute of Kentucky||Florence Campus-6900 Houston Road Building #600 Suite #24 Florence, KY 41402||http://www.tmiky.com/medical_careers/Medical-Career-Training-Programs-KY-page#Phlebotomy%20Technician2|
|Tri-State School of Phlebotomy||1324 Cannonsburg Road Ashland, KY 41102||http://tristatesop.com/php-files/news.php|