The first step to a career in phlebotomy is a high school diploma. Graduating with a good grade point average and plenty of science classes will build a foundation for your education. Next, you must apply to a phlebotomy training program. These classes, which last for six months to a year in most cases, are typically held at community colleges. In the Los Angeles area, you can attend phlebotomy courses at the Kaiser Permanente School of Allied Health Sciences or at the UCLA Center for Prehospital Care.
During your training, you’ll learn about human anatomy, medical terminology, preparing the patient, the procedure of drawing blood, preventing infectious diseases, and other topics that will be relevant to your career. Most programs consist of about 40 hours of classroom training, at which point you’ll be eligible for clinical training. During this phase of the program, you’ll learn how to do a variety of blood draw techniques, including venipuncture (when a large quantity of blood is taken directly from the blood vessel), heel stick, finger stick, and other procedures.
Upon graduation from the program you choose, you’ll be eligible for phlebotomy certification in Los Angeles. In California, you must be certified as a phlebotomist before being hired to practice. Before taking the test, you must complete at least 40 classroom hours and 40 clinical hours that include at least 50 venipunctures and 10 skin punctures.
There are six organizations that provide the certification exam:
- ACA (574) 277-4538;
- AMT, (800) 275-1268;
- ASCP (312) 738-1336;
- NCCT/MMCI (800) 875-4404;
- NCA (913) 438-5110; and
- NHA (800) 499-9092
Passing the certification test from any of these groups qualifies you to work as a phlebotomist in Los Angeles; you also must pay a fee to the state of California for your license.
After securing work as a phlebotomist in Los Angeles, your certificate must be renewed every two years. To be eligible for renewal, you must have completed six hours of continuing medical education over the two licensure years. Your employer can help point you in the direction of these courses; in fact, if you work at a hospital, many host continuing medical education courses directly on site.
If you’re looking for a career in the medical field with solid job security and minimal training requirements, phlebotomy is a good choice, provided you are not bothered by the sight of blood. In addition, for those who want to further their education in the medical field, it may make sense to attain phlebotomy certification and work at a hospital while furthering your education.
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master in Business Administration - Health Services Administration
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MS in Exercise Science: Nutrition
- MS in Exercise Science: Community Physical Activity
- Master of Science: Healthcare Administration
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
The lessons learned in your online courses can prepare you for whatever area of public health you’re interested in. Courses include the following:
- Public Health Biology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Health
- Health Policy
- Finance and Budget
- Health Informatics
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Public Health Law, Ethics and Policy Analysis
Our 100% onlineand CEPH-accredited MPH program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise — and your career — without having to put your life on hold.
- Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Sport Management Studies - Wellness and Fitness (Bachelor of Science) - Online
Colorado State University-Global Campus
Colorado State University-Global Campus (CSU-Global) offers career relevant bachelor’s and master’s degree programs for working adults and nontraditional learners.
- The first and only 100% online, fully accredited public university in the United States
- No set class times or locations
- Affordable tuition, guaranteed not to increase as long as you are enrolled
- Accelerated eight-week terms
- Classes start every month
- Graduate Specialization - Healthcare Administration
- Master - Healthcare Administration and Management
- Bachelors in Healthcare Administration and Management