Louisiana is one of only two states in the U.S. that require anyone who is not a doctor, nurse or clinical lab scientist to be license for the purpose of drawing blood. This means that residents in Louisiana who want to pursue a career in phlebotomy will have to undergo the proper training to earn the certification and licensing necessary to perform phlebotomy related tasks in the state. This should not be viewed in a negative light but as advanced opportunity. There are numerous schools that offer phlebotomy training in Louisiana, allowing you to get your career in phlebotomy going in no time.
Besides allowing you to practice phlebotomy in the state of Louisiana, the training and certifications that you can earn by completing the appropriate phlebotomy training in the state of Louisiana also provides confirmation to perspective employers of your ability and competence in performing the job responsibilities of a phlebotomist.
Even if you were to decide to pursue a career outside of the state, the certification and training that you would undergo in Louisiana will demonstrate a certain level of expertise to your potential employers.
Phlebotomy Training in Louisiana
Because Louisiana requires licensing for its phlebotomists, there are numerous schools throughout the state that offer programs that train and certify future phlebotomists. The key is finding the right school for you. There are a number of variables that must be considered. At the top of the list is geographical location and access to financial aid.
When it comes to geographical location, close proximity to home is not always the ultimate criteria. Many times students will choose schools that are close to medical centers or a specific geographical location in which they aspire to work. Many schools develop relationships with medical institutions in which they will supply workers with expertise in certain areas. Attending such schools may increase your chances of obtaining employment immediately after completing your training and licensing requirements.
In other cases, some individuals do choose to attend a school close to home. They may already have a family or simply have a desire to be near a familiar environment. Because many of these schools will not have adequate housing situations, it may be in the best interest of some students to attend a school near home.
Requirements for Phlebotomy Training in Louisiana
Phlebotomy trainees will normally be required to compete a course that is a minimum of 10 weeks length in order to be certified for an entry-level phlebotomy position. Qualifications to successfully enroll in most phlebotomy programs include:
- Must have successfully completed high school
- The ability to pass a criminal background check
- Be current on all immunization requirements
Phlebotomy training programs are accredited through the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences and they subsequently lead to a certificate of completion once the student has successfully completed all of the course requirements.
Entry-level phlebotomist are not required to have any direct job experience. In most cases, job experience is obtained under the direct tutelage of a supervisor once they begin their first job. Students may choose to pursue an advance degree in the science of phlebotomy, if they so choose, creating more vast and lucrative opportunities for themselves.
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assisting
- Pharmacy Technician
- Medical Billing and Coding
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
Blue Cliff College was founded in New Orleans, Louisiana in 1987 with the goal of becoming one of the most respected Massage Therapy training centers in the nation. In June of 1989, the College in Louisiana received its Proprietary School License from the state. In 1998, the Continuing Education College was proud to receive accreditation from the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC). The Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) is a recognized accrediting agency by the US Department of Education.
- Clinical Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Health Information Management, Billing and Coding - Diploma
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- BS in Health and Wellness
Our mission is YOUR SUCCESS!
When you succeed, we succeed. That is why we provide high-quality, specialized career preparation for all our students. Our goal is to help you find your rewarding career.
Our Mission Statement:
To provide high-quality, specialized career preparation or enhancement to meet and cope with technological changes resulting in employment and career success.
- Medical Assisting, Diploma
- Massage Therapy
- Business Administration
- Electronic Health Records
- Healthcare Information Technology
- Medical Billing & Coding
- Medical Assisting/Medical Clinical Assistant
- Surgical Technology
- Criminal Justice
- Commercial & Industrial Maintenance Technician
- IT Support Specialist
- Cyber Security
- Medical Clinical Assistant - Diploma
- Medical Billing and Coding - Diploma
- Find Online Schools. 100% Online Accredited Courses
- Get Matched to Programs In A Few Clicks!
- Earn an Affordable Degree from Home at your own pace
- Get College info today. Its Free and Easy!
- View Certificates, Associates or Bachelors Degree Programs in Medical Assisting Near YOU!
- Free Information for Medical Assisting, Healthcare Administration, Medical Billing, Coding & Transcription Degree Programs & MORE.
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements & Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs.
- Accredited, Flexible and Affordable Medical Assisting Programs that Fit Your Time & Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
More Phlebotomy Classes in Louisiana
|Acadiana Area Career College||505 Loire Avenue Lafayette, LA 70507||http://www.aaccweb.com/phlebotomy.htm|
|Bossier Parish Community College||6220 East Texas Bossier City, LA 71111||http://www.bpcc.edu/phlebotomy/index.html|
|Cameron College||2740 Canal Street New Orleans, LA 70119||http://www.cameroncollege.com/programs/ADVANCED-PHLEBOTOMY-DIPLOMA-PROGRAM|
|Central Louisiana Medical Academy||3550 Government Street Alexandria, LA 71302-3322||http://www.cenlamed.com/cr-cpt.php|
|Central Louisiana Technical Community College||4311 South MacArthur Alexandria, LA 71302||http://www.cltc.edu/index.cfm?md=pagebuilder&tmp=home&pid=277|
|Crescent City Career Institute||429 Wall Blvd Gretna, LA 70056||http://www.crescentcitycoders.com/practice.html|
|Delgado Community College||City Park Campus-615 City Park Avenue New Orleans, LA 70199||http://www.dcc.edu/campus/cp/ahealth/phlebotomist/|
|Delgado Community College||West Bank Campus-2600 General Meyer Avenue New Orleans, LA 70114||http://www.dcc.edu/campus/cp/ahealth/phlebotomist/|
|Delta School of Business and Technology (Delta Tech)||517 Broad Street Lake Charles, LA 70601||http://www.deltatech.edu/Programs/Certificate-Programs/Phlebotomy-Technician|
|Fletcher Technical Community College||1407 Highway 311 Schriever, LA 70395||http://www.fletcher.edu/index.cfm?md=pagebuilder&tmp=home&pid=483|
|Louisiana Delta Community College||7500 Millhaven Road Monroe, LA 71203||http://www.ladelta.edu/academics/#/academics/in_Programs.asp?Prog=PatientCareTechnician/Phlebotomy|
|Louisiana State University at Alexandria||8100 Hwy 71 South Alexandria, LA 71302||http://cps.lsua.edu/departments/AlliedHealth/Degrees|
|Northwest Louisiana Technical College||Mansfield Campus-943 Oxford Road P.O. Box 1236 Mansfield, LA 71052||http://region7.ltc.edu/|
|Northwest Louisiana Technical College||Natchitoches Campus- 6587 Highway 1 Bypass P. O. Box 657 Natchitoches, LA 71457||http://www.nwltc.edu/index.cfm?md=pagebuilder&tmp=home&pid=495|
|Northwest Louisiana Technical College||Minden/Main Campus- 814 Constable Street P.O. Box 835 Minden, LA 71058-0835||http://www.nwltc.edu/index.cfm?md=pagebuilder&tmp=home&pid=495|
|Our Lady of the Lake Health Career Institute||7434 Perkins Road Baton Rouge, LA 70808||http://126.96.36.199/PTP.html|
|Rapides Regional Medical Center||211 Fourth St., Box 30101 Alexandria, LA 71301||http://rapidesregional.com/career-center/school-of-phlebotomy.dot#.UPyqg2H9GM1|
|Southern University at Shreveport||Martin Luther King Jr. Drive Shreveport, LA 71107||http://web.susla.edu/academics/Pages/Phlebotomy.aspx?panel=4|
|St. Agatha Career School||7078 Read Blvd. New Orleans, LA 70127||http://www.sacsla.com/Phlebotomy.html|
|Unitech Training Academy||Lake Charles Campus-2827 4th Avenue Lake Charles, LA 70601||http://www.unitechtrainingacademy.com/ekgphlebotomy-technician|
|Unitech Training Academy||Lafayette Campus-3605 Ambassador Caffery Pkwy. Lafayette, LA 70503||http://www.unitechtrainingacademy.com/ekgphlebotomy-technician|
|Unitech Training Academy||Hourna Campus-1227 Grand Caillou Road Houma, LA 70363||http://www.unitechtrainingacademy.com/ekgphlebotomy-technician|
|Unitech Training Academy||Alexandria Campus-7228 England Drive Building 1912 Alexandria, LA 71303||http://www.unitechtrainingacademy.com/ekgphlebotomy-technician|
|University of Louisiana at Lafayette||Continuing Education Center PO Box 42411 Lafayette, LA 70504||https://www.ce.louisiana.edu/wconnect/CourseStatus.awp?&course=PHLBW1301|