Prospective students who are interested in obtaining phlebotomy training in Maryland have many factors to consider. First, obtaining certification in phlebotomy is the initial step in obtaining employment in the field as well as earning a higher starting salary for the position. Phlebotomists can expect to find jobs in doctor's offices, hospitals, labs, or clinics once they have earned certification.
Getting Accepted into a Phlebotomy Certification Maryland Program
While most certification or training programs do not have prerequisite classes, there are some basic requirements that students must meet before they can enroll. Students must have earned either a high school diploma or a GED to be considered for this type of medical program. Students must also pass a drug test and pass a criminal background check. Once these requirements are met, students are free to enroll.
Learning the Basics of Phlebotomy
Phlebotomy training in MD begins with class work. Before students are allowed to draw blood from patients, they must study the following topics: medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, infection control, and legal issues. Students must also learn about diseases and basic lab testing. Other topics of study include techniques of blood drawing, collection of specimen, and skin puncturing. This coursework must be successfully completed before students are allowed to begin the next portion of the phlebotomy training MD program.
Another integral part of any phlebotomy training in Maryland will be the hands-on practice that students need. During this phase of the certification program, students will practice drawing blood during training exercises. The initial training exercises do not involve human beings. Instead, students practice on artificial limbs to gain experience. Once students have gained enough practical experience, they will be allowed to draw blood from actual patients. Some phlebotomy training MD programs require students to complete internships in clinical settings to gain further experience.
Other Areas of Study
Students enrolled in phlebotomy training in MD will learn more than just medical basics and blood drawing techniques. Good phlebotomy programs prepare students to work in real world medical settings. Students will learn the importance of keeping accurate medical records on the job. Additionally, students will be taught to interact with patients. This training includes how to be empathetic and compassionate with patients.
Phlebotomy Training in Baltimore, MD
There are many options when it comes to phlebotomy training in Baltimore. Some programs are offered in an accelerated format and can be completed in just a matter of weeks. Other programs, especially when taken on a part-time basis, take longer to complete. Some schools even offer online phlebotomy programs for students who wish to learn in an online format.
Students who are considering phlebotomy training in Maryland should recognize the positive job outlook for this particular profession. Phlebotomists are always in demand. Once phlebotomy certification Maryland is earned, students can choose between part-time and full-time work in a variety of settings. The starting salary for a phlebotomist professional is high enough to make this job opportunity worthwhile for students interested in the medical field.
- Offers programs in Massage Therapy, Allied Health and Nursing
- 100% online classes for as long as needed during required social period
- Offers practical training, and instruction from industry professionals
- Career Services
- Clinical Medical Assistant
- Clinical and Administrative Medical Assistant
- Medical Billing and Coding
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Assisting
- Pharmacy Technician
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
Advance your career at Dawn Career Institute. Gain the specialized knowledge and skills to help prepare you for a new career quickly and conveniently.
- Medical Assisting
- Nursing Assistant
- Dental Assistant
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
Trident University International provides an exceptional online educational experience for its students – diverse adult learners including current and former members of the military family. Adhering to the highest standards of academic excellence, faculty and staff foster a learning community where students develop critical thinking and problem solving skills to enhance their lives and advance their careers.
- Health Sciences (Ph.D.)
- Certificate in Medical Coding and Billing
As the world is adjusting to new realities, we are prepared to help you work towards a successful future in a manner that is safer for you and the community at large. Here's how:
- We offer in-demand, career-focused education delivered through your local campus using live, interactive synchronous online delivery. There's also the flexibility to transition to an in-seat class environment once the current situation is resolved.
- Dental Assisting - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Find Online Schools. 100% Online Accredited Courses
- Get Matched to Programs In A Few Clicks!
- Earn an Affordable Degree from Home at your own pace
- Get College info today. Its Free and Easy!
All-State Career - Healthcare Division is committed to providing quality training for students just like you. Financial aid is available for students who qualify. * Programs vary by location * Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
More Phlebotomy Classes in Maryland
|Allegany College of Maryland||Cumberland Campus-12401 Willowbrook Road Cumberland, MD 21502||http://www.allegany.edu/x268.xml|
|Allied Health, LLC||2500 N. Rolling Road Windsor Mill, MD 21244 Suite 202||http://www.bahtc.com/APA%20Registration%20List.html|
|Anne Arundel Community College||101 College Parkway Arnold, MD 21012-1895||http://www.aacc.edu/medicalassisting/mda_phlebotomy.cfm|
|Carroll Community College||1601 Washington Road Westminster, MD 21157||http://www.carrollcc.edu/courses/noncredit/career/Certificate%20Programs/phlebotomytech.asp|
|Chesapeake College||P.O. Box 8 Wye Mills, MD 21679||http://www.chesapeake.edu/alliedhealth/phlebotomy/|
|College of Southern Maryland||8730 Mitchell Road PO Box 910 La Plata, MD 20646-0910||http://www.csmd.edu/CareerStarters/PhlebotomyTech.html|
|Fortis College||4351 Garden City Drive Landover, MD 20785||http://www.fortis.edu/continue-education/phlebotomy-certification/4351-garden-city-drive-landover-md.aspx|
|Frederick Community College||7932 Opposumtown Pike Frederick, MD 21702||http://www.frederick.edu/courses_and_programs/ce_alliedhealth.aspx#|
|Hagerstown Community College||11400 Robinwood Drive Hagerstown, MD 21742||http://www.hagerstowncc.edu/academics/programs/phlebotomy|
|Harford Community College||401 Thomas Run Road Bel Air, MD||http://www.harford.edu/Schedule/U_noncrweb.asp?FA=ContEd&SelectionType=4&GroupChoice=PB|
|Kaplan University||18618 Crestwood Drive Hagerstown, MD 21742||http://www.kaplanuniversity.edu/health-sciences/phlebotomist-certifiate.aspx|
|Montgomery College||Takoma Park/ Silver Spring Campus Health Sciences Institute 7977 Georgia Avenue Silver Spring, MD 20910||http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/wdce/hsi/entrylevel.html|
|Prince George’s Community College||301 Largo Road Largo, MD 20774-2199||http://www.pgcc.edu/Programs_and_Courses/Noncredit/Noncredit_Program_Detail.aspx?id=6442462795|
|Stein Academy||600 Reisterstown Rd Baltimore, MD 21208||http://steinacademy.com/ind_pag.php?id=22|
|Wor-Wic Community College||32000 Campus Drive Salisbury, MD 21804||http://www.worwic.edu/Search.aspx?Query=phlebotomy|
|Doctor’s Help||Southern MD-Gateway East Medical Building-6188 Oxon Hill Road National Harbor, MD 20745||http://doctorshelp.org/Workshop_Training.html|
|Doctor’s Help||Baltimore- Saint Agnes Hospital Medical Center-3455 Wilkens Ave Baltimore, MD 21229||http://doctorshelp.org/Workshop_Training.html|