Phlebotomy is the process involved in removing blood for patients for samples or to deal with various blood conditions, including polycythemia and hemochromatosis. This process takes place in a hospital or clinic and is similar to what is involved during blood donations. Individuals who require blood removal on a regular basis appreciate a competent, gentle hand that makes the process as quick and painless as possible. It is important that phlebotomists are properly trained in order to provide patients with the best possible experience during blood removal, without pain or complications.
What Does Phlebotomy Training in Mississippi Involve?For those who are interested in phlebotomy in Mississippi, they will need adequate training to perform their job with skill. Coursework involves instruction and clinical experience and is best through a program that is backed by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science. Upon completion of a program, graduates will be certified to perform phlebotomy in the state of Mississippi. A thorough understanding of venipuncture, or the cutting of a vein, will be acquired through coursework. The course of study could take anywhere from half a year to a year. Students can expect to focus on anatomy, proper use of equipment, the proper technique for venipuncture, steps to prepare a patient, how to reduce the risk of infection, and caring for the patient. It is essential that students successfully perform venipuncture a specified number of times during clinical practice.
What are the Requirements for Phlebotomy Training in Mississippi?In order to become a phlebotomist in Mississippi, students must be at least eighteen years of age. They must be up to date on all necessary immunizations. A high school diploma or its equivalent is necessary. In addition, training locations are likely to do a criminal background check. Many locations will ask for recommendations and an essay explaining why individuals want to pursue a career in phlebotomy.
Outlook for Phlebotomy Training in MississippiProspects are good in the state of Mississippi when it comes to phlebotomy. Healthcare is in demand across the nation and shows no signs of slowing. On average, a phlebotomist can expect to make at least $35,000 per year. This figure can vary according to experience, training, and location. Larger cities and more affluent areas tend to mean a larger salary while wages are generally lower in more rural locations. Students should be prepared to relocate to areas with the best prospects in Mississippi upon completion of phlebotomy training. They should be prepared to be flexible and work their way up the ladder. Time and quality performance will pay off.
Matching School Ads
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
- Find Online Schools. 100% Online Accredited Courses
- Get Matched to Programs In A Few Clicks!
- Earn an Affordable Degree from Home at your own pace
- Get College info today. Its Free and Easy!
More Phlebotomy Classes in Mississippi
|Coahoma Community College||3240 Friars Point Road Clarksdale, MS 38614||http://www.coahomacc.edu/healthsciences/phlebotemy/index.php|
|Hinds Community College||PO Box1100 Raymond, MS 39154||http://www.hindscc.edu/Departments/health_related_professions/ShortTerm.aspx|
|Meridian Community College||910 Hwy 19 N Meridian, MS 39307||http://www.meridiancc.edu/workforce_development/medical_related_education/phlebotomy.htm|
|Mississippi Delta Community College||PO Box 668 Hwy 3 &Cherry St. Moorhead, MS 38761||http://www.msdelta.edu/mdcc/health_sciences/phlebotomy/index.html|
|Pine Belt Education Center||923 Sawmill Road Laurel, MS 39440||http://www.jones.k12.ms.us/pbec/programs.html|
|East Mississippi Community College||Main Campus-1512 Kemper Street PO Box 158 Scooba, MS 39358||http://www.eastms.edu/workforce2/WF-classes-training/WF-medical/Pages/Phlebotomy.aspx|
|East Mississippi Community College||Golden Triangle-8731 South Frontage Road PO Box 100 Mayhew, MS 39753||http://www.eastms.edu/workforce2/WF-classes-training/WF-medical/Pages/Phlebotomy.aspx|
|Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College||Perkinston Campus-PO Box 548 (ground address 51 Main St) Perkinston, MS 39573||http://www.mgccc.edu/community/continuing_education/program.php?id=51|
|Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College||Jackson County Campus-PO Box 100 (ground address 2300 Highway 90) Gautier, MS 39553||http://www.mgccc.edu/community/continuing_education/program.php?id=51|
|Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College||Jefferson Davis Campus- 2226 Switzer Rd. Gulfport, MS 39507||http://www.mgccc.edu/community/continuing_education/program.php?id=51|
|Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College||Community Campus-10298 Express Dr. Gulfport, MS 39503||http://www.mgccc.edu/community/continuing_education/program.php?id=51|