In order to receive phlebotomy certification in New York, a person needs to complete a course of training duly certified by the state. Before a person desiring phlebotomy certification can commence such a program, he or she must have a high school diploma or a GED. No other prior experience or education is required to undertake a phlebotomy training program in the state.
Phlebotomy training in New York is available through a number of different organizations and institutions. Examples of these include schools within the CUNY system and private institutions of higher education. In the American Red Cross offers a preliminary training program sufficient to permit a person the ability to obtain appropriate certification to enter into the field of phlebotomy.
Phlebotomy Licensing Versus Certification in New York
Although the state of New York must approve a particular school’s or organization’s phlebotomy training curriculum, the state itself does not license phlebotomists. Rather, a phlebotomist is certified upon completing of an approved course of study offered in the state of New York.
Job Duties of a Phlebotomist
Despite not directly licensing phlebotomists working in the state of New York, the state government does specifically delineate the work that a phlebotomist can undertake. Specifically, a phlebotomist working in New York, after obtaining an appropriate certification to do so, is legally permitted to draw blood and collect urine samples from individuals. These samples are collected for further testing.
A New York phlebotomist cannot perform any tests on any collected samples. After drawing a sample, he or she ensures the container containing a sample is both properly sealed and labeled. Following that process, a phlebotomist submits a sample for transmission to a laboratory.A phlebotomist can provide basic information about the purpose for a particular blood draw. However, a phlebotomist is not permitted to provide any information about test results or any similar type of information to a patient or other individual who submits to a blood draw (or the collection of a urine sample).
Course of Study for Phlebotomy Certification in New York
Although different programs may vary their curriculum slightly, some general areas of study are a part of any phlebotomy training program in New York. At the heart of any training program is instruction and hand-on experience in preparing an individual for venipuncture (or the drawing of blood for a person’s vein). This includes the physical assessment of the individual, palpitation of veins and the actual act of venipuncture and the withdrawal of blood.
Once the fundamentals are learned by a person in a phlebotomy training program in New York, a portion of the training experience involves actual hands-on work with patients. This typically is done in a clinical setting through an externship type of program.
The course of study for phlebotomy certification in New York does not require a long term commitment on the part of a person in training. Some basic courses can be completed in a matter of weeks, while more extensive training programs can take several months.
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Billing and Coding
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant
Take the fast track to your future at Elmira Business Institute!
Learn how you can get the training you need to begin a rewarding career in a field of high-demand. Complete and submit the form and one of our Admissions Representatives will be in touch soon to tell you more.
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Coding & Reimbursement Specialist
- Medical Coding & Billing
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Medical Assistant
The mission of Mildred Elley is to provide quality career education and technical training to allow students of diverse educational, cultural and personal backgrounds to become successful in an ever-changing global economy. Mildred Elley strives to afford students quality placement opportunities and instill in all of our graduates a desire for lifelong education and learning.
- Clinical Medical Assistant-CERT
- Medical Assistant-AS
- Medical Office Assistant-CERT
- And more...
- Patient Care Technician Level 1
- Professional Medical Assistant
- Certified Nurses Aide
The Berkeley Advantage®is preparing students for professional and personal successt. From career-focused degree and certificate programs offered in some of today’s most in-demand professions to extensive support resources, YOU are at the center of everything we do at Berkeley. Our commitment to students begins with their very first inquiries.
- AAS in Health Services Administration - Medical Insurance, Billing, and Coding
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)