Phlebotomy, also referred to as venipuncture, is the process involved to remove blood from the body. Typically performed at a clinic, hospital, or doctor’s office, a phlebotomist is properly trained in using the equipment involved with skill. Blood removal is necessary for a variety of reasons, including donations, to collect samples, or when patients suffer from conditions such as hemochromatosis. For anyone interested in the field of phlebotomy in the state of Oregon, coursework must be successfully completed for qualification.
Overview of Phlebotomy Training in Oregon
Phlebotomists in Oregon aren’t required to be licensed. However, national certification can be earned through an exam offered by the American Society for Clinical Pathologists. For those who wish to improve their opportunities to advance in the field, national certification is highly recommended. Coursework in Oregon can run from six months to a year, generally taking two terms for completion. The first term involves study of the fundamental principles for phlebotomy. Students focus on the human anatomy. The entire process involved in removing or collecting blood, handling samples, and dealing with patients is covered in the course of study. In addition, proper use of equipment is essential. The second term of study involves the practicum portion when clinical experience is the main focus. When students have successfully completed all segments of their coursework, any exams, and their practicum, they become qualified phlebotomists.
Requirements for Phlebotomy Training in Oregon
In order to become a phlebotomist, potential students must be at least eighteen. They are required to hold a minimum of a high school diploma or a GED. Students generally must reach required scores in math, reading, and writing on entrance exams. Fluency in all aspects of English, including reading, writing, and speaking, is an absolute necessity in order to be accepted into a program. Immunizations must be current and students need to be in good health, passing tuberculosis testing as well. This is essential considering students will be working with patients and cannot risk infection to themselves or others.
Outlook for Phlebotomy Jobs in Oregon
The healthcare field continues to be in demand and job opportunities are expected to grow by 14% in the next few years. Phlebotomists will find more alternatives for work if they are flexible about hours and location. The average salary for a phlebotomist in Oregon is $31,000, but it can be as high as $37,000. The amount varies depending on locale and will generally be higher in more populated areas. Expect a lower salary in remote regions. Students with national certification and more experience are likely to earn more.
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Medical Assistant
- Certificate - Pharmacy Technician
- Certificate - Dental Assisting
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in Stevens-Henager College is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Medical Specialties (AOS)
- Respiratory Therapy (AAS)
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management - Informatics
- And more...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- MBA - Healthcare Management
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master in Business Administration - Health Services Administration
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
The lessons learned in your online courses can prepare you for whatever area of public health you’re interested in. Courses include the following:
- Public Health Biology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Health
- Health Policy
- Finance and Budget
- Health Informatics
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Public Health Law, Ethics and Policy Analysis
Our 100% onlineand CEPH-accredited MPH program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise — and your career — without having to put your life on hold.
- Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
More Phlebotomy Classes in Oregon
|Abdill Career College, Inc.||843 E. Main Street, Medford, OR 97504||http://www.abdill.com/#!academic-programs/vstc9=phlebotomy|
|Institute of Technology||4707 Silverton Road Northeast, Salem, OR 97305||http://www.iot.edu/programs/medical/phlebotomy-lab-assistant|
|Lane Community College||1059 Willamette St., Eugene, OR 97401||http://www2.lanecc.edu/ce/healthoccupations/phlebotomy|
|Linn-Benton Community College||6500 Pacific Blvd. SW, Albany, OR 97321||http://www.linnbenton.edu/programs-of-study/major-detail/MajorsProgramsID/174/LBDeptsID/107|
|Rogue Valley Phlebotomy School||PO Box 189, Medford, OR 97501||http://www.roguevalleyphlebotomyschool.com/|
|Southwestern Oregon Community College||1988 Newmark Avenue, Coos Bay, OR 97420||http://www.socc.edu/academics/pgs/degrees/programs/certificate-of-completion-phlebotomy-technician.shtml|
|West Coast Phlebotomy, Inc.||1678 Beavercreek Rd., Suite N, Oregon City, OR 97045||http://www.westcoastphlebotomy.com/|
|Northwest Institute for Healthcare Training||25030 SW Parkway Ave., Wilsonville, OR 97070||http://healthcarenw.net/courses/phlebotomy.html|
|Northwest Institute for Healthcare Training||1860 Hawthorne Ave NE, Salem, OR 97301||http://healthcarenw.net/courses/phlebotomy.html|
|Portland Community College||705 N Killingsworth, Portland, OR 97217||http://www.pcc.edu/career/pathways/professional-technical/phlebotomy/|
|Portland Community College||17705 NW Springville Rd., Portland, OR 97229||http://www.pcc.edu/career/pathways/professional-technical/phlebotomy/|
|Portland Community College||12000 SW 49th Ave., Portland, OR 97219||http://www.pcc.edu/career/pathways/professional-technical/phlebotomy/|
|Oregon Medical Training, Inc.||25030 SW Parkway Ave., Wilsonville, OR 97070||http://www.oregonmedicaltraining.com/|
|Oregon Medical Training, Inc.||1860 Hawthorne Ave NE, Salem, OR 97301||http://www.oregonmedicaltraining.com/|