Healthcare proves to be one of the fastest growing fields in the country, offering various employment opportunities for those interested in pursuing a medical career. In Rhode Island there are numerous training programs available where one can gain the required educational experience to become a phlebotomist technician. Phlebotomy is the practice of obtaining blood samples from patients and donors in hospitals, laboratories, blood banks or physician’s offices. Phlebotomist also routinely analyze and process these samples for medical evaluation purposes.
The courses will prepare students to safely and properly draw blood in accordance with state and national health standards, while also providing for the proper storage, transport and processing of samples. Programs often include externships where students are given the opportunity to work in clinical settings performing venipuncture, the practice of drawing blood, and other procedures to gain workplace experience.
Although phlebotomy technicians are primarily known for obtaining blood samples at doctor’s offices and hospitals, they must also familiarize themselves with laboratory procedures, learn about cellular and blood composition, medical terminology, and EKG practices. Courses will also introduce advanced techniques, such as how perform Heparin IVs and do intramuscular and subcutaneous IVs. As most phlebotomy technicians will be required to interact with patients on a daily basis, training programs also help students develop communication skills, preparing technicians for difficult patients such as children or those with mental illnesses such as Alzheimer's.
Phlebotomy programs can cost up to $5000, representing a significant educational investment. However, this investment can provide a future payoff and a stable career in a field that is expected to grow. The average salary for phlebotomy technicians in Rhode Island is between $30,000 and $35,000 a year. While Rhode Island suffers high unemployment on the state-level, the health sector along with the education sector are two of the best performing sectors in the United States, and there continues to be solid demand for phlebotomy technicians. Additionally, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports a strong growth outlook for phlebotomy positions through 2022, expecting a 22 percent growth in the field.
- See how you could play a crucial role in healthcare with a Medical Assisting degree
- This degree program is available in both English and Spanish
- Offers scholarships to qualified active-duty personnel, retirees & dependents
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Science
- Bachelor of Science in Health Science
- And more...
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Office Assistant
- Dental Assistant
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
- Find Online Schools. 100% Online Accredited Courses
- Get Matched to Programs In A Few Clicks!
- Earn an Affordable Degree from Home at your own pace
- Get College info today. Its Free and Easy!
More Phlebotomy Classes in Rhode Island
|Community College of Rhode Island||1762 Louisquisset Pike, Lincoln, RI 02865||http://www.ccri.edu/alliedhealth/phlebotomy/index.html|
|Community College of Rhode Island||1 Hilton Street, Providence, RI 02905||http://www.ccri.edu/alliedhealth/phlebotomy/index.html|
|Cranston Alternate Education Programs||4 Sharpe Drive, Cranston, RI 02920||http://aep.cpsed.net/vocational-training/phlebotomy-technician.asp|
|911 Programs||555 Jefferson Blvd., Warwick, RI||http://classroom.911programs.com/register_class_details.php?programid=7|
|Bastien Academy||120 Amaral Street, East Providence, RI 02915||http://www.bastienacademy.com/School_News.html|
|Community College of Rhode Island - Knight Campus||400 East Ave Warwick, RI 02886||http://www.ccri.edu/|