If you’ve ever had blood drawn, you’re already had contact with a phlebotomy technician. This medical specialist is the one who draws blood and submits it the lab for testing or analysis. Much like medical assistants, phlebotomy technicians have other duties such as taking and documenting vital signs, taking patients’ medical histories, cleaning and sterilizing equipment, disposing of contaminated supplies and entering electronic
What is a Phlebotomy Technician
health records. As a phlebotomy technician, you may find work in clinics, hospitals, doctors’ offices, medical laboratories and other healthcare facilities.
Phlebotomy training is short in duration with many programs lasting only a couple months or even just a semester. They usually result in the student earning a diploma or a certificate. The one they all have in common is that they all require the student complete classroom courses and a clinical portion. Topics of study in the classroom may include basic phlebotomy procedures, diseases of the human body, anatomy and physiology, specimen handling and transport, universal precautions and infection control, communication and collection procedures, among others. To successfully complete the clinical education, the student will obtain supervised hands-on training and then complete a designated number of phlebotomy procedures unassisted. The student learns about venipunctures, capillary punctures and will gain knowledge of arterial puncture techniques. Upon completion of the training, the student is prepared to obtain phlebotomy certification in San Diego.
What Does Phlebotomy Training in San Diego Consist of?
As an aspiring phlebotomy technician, you’ll find phlebotomy training in San Diego is offered at several schools throughout the area. Although this may vary by school, students entering phlebotomy training are typically required to meet specific admission requirements such as having immunizations, health screenings, CPR certification and submitting to criminal background checks. While phlebotomy training is generally a short-term program, it may also be offered as part of a degree program, such as a medical laboratory technician associate degree program.
Where Can I Find Phlebotomy Training in San Diego?
According to the California Department of Public Health, all individuals who are drawing blood who are not doctors, nurses or clinical lab scientists must be certified. Phlebotomy certification in San Diego is obtained by passing a certification examination through a certifying agency. There are several agencies that can provide phlebotomy certification in San Diego. Below are the major certification agencies available to graduates of phlebotomy training.
How Do I Obtain Phlebotomy Certification in San Diego?
- American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians (ASPT) – Applicants must have completed an accredited training program or have at least one year of part-time or six months of full-time work in the field.
- American Medical Technologists (AMT) – Applicants must have completed an AMT-approved phlebotomy program or completed at least 1,040 hours work experience in this field.
- National Healthcare Association (NHA) – Applicants must have completed accredited training programs or have at least one year work experience as phlebotomy technicians.
- National Center for Competency Testing – Applicants must also have completed approved training programs or show proof of sufficient work experience.
- Respiratory Therapy
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master in Business Administration - Health Services Administration
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MS in Exercise Science: Nutrition
- MS in Exercise Science: Community Physical Activity
- Master of Science: Healthcare Administration
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
The lessons learned in your online courses can prepare you for whatever area of public health you’re interested in. Courses include the following:
- Public Health Biology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Health
- Health Policy
- Finance and Budget
- Health Informatics
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Public Health Law, Ethics and Policy Analysis
Our 100% onlineand CEPH-accredited MPH program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise — and your career — without having to put your life on hold.
- Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Sport Management Studies - Wellness and Fitness (Bachelor of Science) - Online
Colorado State University-Global Campus
Colorado State University-Global Campus (CSU-Global) offers career relevant bachelor’s and master’s degree programs for working adults and nontraditional learners.
- The first and only 100% online, fully accredited public university in the United States
- No set class times or locations
- Affordable tuition, guaranteed not to increase as long as you are enrolled
- Accelerated eight-week terms
- Classes start every month
- Graduate Specialization - Healthcare Administration
- Master - Healthcare Administration and Management
- Bachelors in Healthcare Administration and Management