Phlebotomy, also called venipuncture, is the discipline of drawing blood from a patient using medical needles for the purpose of analyzing the blood’s components. Physicians will use this information as part of an overall workup to help determine a patient’s medical condition, assess nutritional deficiencies, or identify genetic markers. As such, drawing blood is one of the primary skills that all doctors and nurses learn in their training programs. A trained phlebotomy technician, also called a phlebotomist, is able to relieve doctors and nurses by performing this important task for them.
Phlebotomy training programs in Wyoming follow standardized protocol set by the American Medical Technologists association. Coursework in phlebotomy can be pursued through vocational programs, community colleges, or teaching hospitals. The trainee must have at least a high school education to be employed in the field. They will complete a six week course in towards a basic certification that allows them to proceed with a 15 week training program after which they may pursue a diploma in the field if desired. A phlebotomist can work in a variety of settings including hospitals, medical offices or laboratories.
If you are in high school and interested in a career as a phlebotomist, contact your guidance counselor to see if there is a certified vocational program you can attend. If you are a high school graduate, contact your local hospital or nearest community college about certification and training programs in your area.
Requirements for Certification and Training
Most phlebotomy training programs in Wyoming follow the same basic coursework for certification and training. Coursework involves taking a lecture based class followed by a hands-on practicum experience. Typically the program can be completed within one semester.
Employment Opportunities for Phlebotomists in Wyoming
Increased demand for phlebotomists in the medical field has created strong employment opportunities. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics indicates that phlebotomists earn between $13.00-$16.00 per hour nationally. In Wyoming, the average salary can vary by region but sources put it somewhere around $34,000 annually which makes it a competitive career for people to pursue.
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management - Informatics
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- MBA - Healthcare Management
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master in Business Administration - Health Services Administration
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Colorado State University-Global Campus
Colorado State University-Global Campus (CSU-Global) offers career relevant bachelor’s and master’s degree programs for working adults and nontraditional learners.
- The first and only 100% online, fully accredited public university in the United States
- No set class times or locations
- Affordable tuition, guaranteed not to increase as long as you are enrolled
- Accelerated eight-week terms
- Classes start every month
- Graduate Specialization - Healthcare Administration
- Master - Healthcare Administration and Management
- Bachelors in Healthcare Administration and Management
More Phlebotomy Classes in Wyoming
|Casper College||125 College Drive, Casper, WY 82601||http://www.caspercollege.edu/medical_lab_tech/index.html|
|Central Wyoming College||2660 Peck Avenue, Riverton, WY 82501||http://www.cwc.edu/healthcare-training|
|Northwest College||231 West 6th Street, Powell, WY 82435||http://www.northwestcollege.edu/nursing/courses/detail.dot?id=202abdf4-bcc9-474d-a021-49347a764eb7|
|Western Wyoming Community College||2500 College Drive, Rock Springs, WY 82901||http://www.wwcc.cc.wy.us/|